PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control + Grade Logic

JaCe
20-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I was just wondering about Cruise Control in my 06 Civic. I have noticed when going uphill, it knows to accelerate harder (i'm guessing that's related to the Grade Logic telling it to pull); but then when going downhill, it often ends up speeding a bit. So my question is, does Cruise Control ever pull on the brakes (ie. not engine braking, but the actual brakes) to slow the car down to the speed you set it at (or is that for a more advanced cruise control system), and also, if it does/doesn't, do the brake lights ever come on when using Cruise Control if the car is decelerating such as on the downhill slope?

Cheers,
jeff.

BiLL|z0r
20-06-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure about the 06 Civic but in the Euro it cuts supply to the injectors to slow the car down (or so I'm lead to believe as it feels like engine braking). If the hill is any more inclined than that, you should prolly use the brakes anyway. CC never applies the brake, hence brake lights never come on.

JaCe
20-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Ahh thanks. I just asked because I noticed my car doesn't slow down, but then I've tried more advanced cruise control systems (eg. in the Benz CL55) and I think it was braking for me- but I didn't have much experience with it.

aaronng
20-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Nissan's 2000 maxima CC did apply the brakes for you. I guess Honda didn't want to do so because the car did not have the existing facility to apply the brakes gradually...

JaCe
20-06-2006, 03:28 PM
IIRC there are some CC's which advertise as 'with speed limit function'- are those the ones which can brake? I tend to use CC because I like the idea of the car driving at a good speed, fuel efficient, and most importantly, won't go past the speed limit on highways/double demerit days (that'd kill off my P plate!) but then after using it, I now realise it doesn't keep to the speed limit all the time.

kwayzivietnamese
20-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah - pretty much high class cars like the Benz would have it.

IS250
20-06-2006, 04:16 PM
heh, don't worry about speeding. From what I've seen, the Civic's speedo seems pretty overstated eg. 76 is really 70.

JaCe
20-06-2006, 06:05 PM
heh, don't worry about speeding. From what I've seen, the Civic's speedo seems pretty overstated eg. 76 is really 70.

Everyone seems to tell me that about my Civic. Ironically I still got docked doing 54 in a school zone- I'm guessing that since I didn't know it was a school zone, I probably would've been doing 60km/h (I tend to stick exactly where the limit is on my digital speedo) so that is some indication of how fast over I am going.

Btw a bit off topic but you know those displays in Sydney around the place which tell you how fast you're going and to slow down if you're speeding (eg. there's one neear Chatty from memory; and one in Lane Cove)- are those things accurate?

BiLL|z0r
20-06-2006, 07:18 PM
I think they are fairly accurate. (+/- 2km's tops)

IS250
21-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Those things seem pretty accurate, well to me anyway. They're either exactly as my speedo or at most 1kmh over.
Are the ones in Sydney the same as Melbourne? They give us an unhappy smilie if we're speeding hehe. Something like this: :(

JaCe
21-06-2006, 02:30 PM
I saw the "Slow down" message on the one we went past :(

But if our speedos are supposedly inaccurate, and they match our speedos- doesn't that make them inaccurate too?

aaronng
21-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I saw the "Slow down" message on the one we went past :(

But if our speedos are supposedly inaccurate, and they match our speedos- doesn't that make them inaccurate too?
He meant that his Soarer's speedo is accurate. I think my speedo reads 100km/h when the car is only moving at 96km/h.

IS250
21-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah I meant my Soarer's, sorry. On the freeway from Geelong to Melbourne they have a speed check and I had my cruise set on 103 and the speed check showed 102.

When I test drove the Civic I didn't actually think there was anything wrong with the speedo. I had the cruise set on 83 and I was being overtaken by everyone and their grannys! Even a bus overtook me. I thought everyone else was just speeding. But I've driven along a couple of Civics and decided to match their speed and just flew right past them at the same speed. With my earlier example, I tried to match the guy's speed at 76 but had to slow down to 70 just to be side by side.

JaCe
22-06-2006, 09:44 AM
When I test drove the Civic I didn't actually think there was anything wrong with the speedo. I had the cruise set on 83 and I was being overtaken by everyone and their grannys! Even a bus overtook me. I thought everyone else was just speeding. But I've driven along a couple of Civics and decided to match their speed and just flew right past them at the same speed. With my earlier example, I tried to match the guy's speed at 76 but had to slow down to 70 just to be side by side.

The irony is I like my Civic's speedo because it's digital and thus, I feel more "accurate" because I can keep my speed exactly to what the speedo says. But then, if the speedo is off to begin with... :confused:

trudogg
22-06-2006, 12:25 PM
i give my civic lots of new things that i add