PDA

View Full Version : Window Tinting

JaCe
20-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Is there any difference between places to go for tinting for my 06 Civic? I just realised I still haven't got round to doing it. Also wondering, is all tinting the same colour (black)? I heard that for it to be legal in Australia, it has to be a certain shade of black and there's pretty much no leeway. Also wondering which windows will/should get tinted? I'm guessing they probably won't let me tint the front windshield (despite that being where most of the sun/glare comes from ><)... But I'll let one of the pro's here answer for me :)

I thought this guy's Civic had really nice tinting-
http://upload4.postimage.org/369628/photo_hosting.html
http://upload4.postimage.org/369611/photo_hosting.html
http://upload4.postimage.org/369597/photo_hosting.html
http://upload4.postimage.org/369597/photo_hosting.html
... apparently the place he did it (this is Singapore unfortunately) even removed the rear parcel and the doors to make sure the film covers the glass perfectly.

Any suggestions for decent places in Sydney which are affordable? I live in Hills district as well.

Thanks,
Cheers.
jeff.
ps. So I don't get ripped off, can anyone give me a rough estimate how much to expect to pay? The dealer tried to charge me $1000 for it and I thought that's probably a very inflated price for a very ordinary thing...
pps. I wouldn't mind tinting the headlights but there are probably safety issues involved with that despite how cool it would look... i've seen darkened headlights/taillights on other black cars and man it looks fine!

Spunkymonkey
20-06-2006, 03:35 PM
For tinting expect to pay approx $400 ish from a shop, and if you know a mate of a mate 250 - 300. tinting is by % of light that comes through...legal is 35%, however you can get people who do less than that.

NeRV
20-06-2006, 04:03 PM
i paid $300 for mine, they used 3M tint... im 35% at front and i think it was 20% at the back

kwayzivietnamese
20-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Give Robbie a call on 0421 555 699
Hes mobile or you can come down to an area near him (lansvale - livo etc)
Gauranteed 110% customer satisfaction - top bloke. Very friendly and takes good care when he works.
And whats best, hes great on prices :cool:

Spunkymonkey
20-06-2006, 04:56 PM
hahaha...another person that knows Robbie lol.

JaCe
20-06-2006, 06:02 PM
i paid $300 for mine, they used 3M tint... im 35% at front and i think it was 20% at the back

Is 3M a good brand? I see "Solartint" and this other brand (can't remember) around alot but not really sure if there's a difference.

Did you tint the windscreen/rear windscreen as well or just the 4 windows? I personally would like the whole thing as dark as possible (not just for the look; but also because I hate seeing bright lights at night).

Btw thanks for the advice/recommendations to everyone. I might consult this Robbie guy- although he lives quite a fair distance from me.

Cheers,
jeff.
ps. When you say legal is 35% but people are willing to do less; does that mean more light will come through? I'm guessing they won't do more than 35% since that'd be illegal... and the few cars I've seen with yellow/blue tints are probably illegal too?

Zdster
20-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Check with your state authority as there are a number of rules that concern tinting.

If you want a good, solid, legal tint why not speak with tint-a-car. The one that I used is the same one that the dealerships use (but charge three times the price).

LowEk
20-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Is 3M a good brand? I see "Solartint" and this other brand (can't remember) around alot but not really sure if there's a difference.

Did you tint the windscreen/rear windscreen as well or just the 4 windows? I personally would like the whole thing as dark as possible (not just for the look; but also because I hate seeing bright lights at night).

Btw thanks for the advice/recommendations to everyone. I might consult this Robbie guy- although he lives quite a fair distance from me.

Cheers,
jeff.
ps. When you say legal is 35% but people are willing to do less; does that mean more light will come through? I'm guessing they won't do more than 35% since that'd be illegal... and the few cars I've seen with yellow/blue tints are probably illegal too?

3M and solartint are p00 dont ever put this crap on your windows no matter how much someone tries to tell you how good it is its p00. but in saying that
most of the new cars these days come with your radio antenna's in the rear demister bars so you cannot put a metallic film on your rear window all good tint will be metallic film (tint) metallic film lasts longer and does not fade (ever seen those old bombadores with purple tint and all bubbled well thats what 3M and solar tint does after about a year or so also the darker the tint the more dye in the film meaning more likly to go purple and bubble). the yellow and blue and red tints are legal cos they are still 35% so cops cant do anything about it but to get it another colour it been dyed that colour so yes it will fade eventually my bro had it on his car and 6 months later it was starting to fade and it also a pain in the a$$ to see out of cos everything is what ever colour you windows are gave me a headach driving his car had to wind the windows down when i had to drive his car. if i were you i would go with a nice 20% tint just over legal but not that noticeable but blocks more sunlight then the 35%. i know they are not in sydney but have a look at this page its my brothers work place some good pics there anyway. http://www.2for1windowtinting.com.au/ if you want any more info just let me know man.

cheers.

LowEk
20-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Check with your state authority as there are a number of rules that concern tinting.

If you want a good, solid, legal tint why not speak with tint-a-car. The one that I used is the same one that the dealerships use (but charge three times the price).

dealerships only charge way more to try make money out of the sale and they know that some people will pay it i used to work in a dealership ive seen it happen all the time dunno how dealerships rip people off so much on extras. they will pay stuff all for the tint and then charge thru the roof for it.

JaCe
20-06-2006, 06:57 PM
I've emailed the RTA (NSW) about it and hopefully will receive a reply within a few days.

Thanks for the advice LowEk, I know this is gonna sound stupid but just to confirm- when people say 20% or 35%; does that refer to how much light is allowed in, or how much light is blocked out? I assumed it was how much would be blocked out; but after reading your reply I'm a tad confused.

As for colours, I think I wouldn't mind a blue (just to be a bit different), but black tint on a black car probably looks better (and sexier^^).

3M and solartint are p00 dont ever put this crap on your windows no matter how much someone tries to tell you how good it is its p00. but in saying that
most of the new cars these days come with your radio antenna's in the rear demister bars so you cannot put a metallic film on your rear window

I can't find the brochure for my Civic but I remember it saying "in-glass" type for antenna so does that mean it's located there? I remember my Mum's old Benz had the antenna built into the car frame or something above the driver's window- well that's what the dealer told us when she bought it from memory.

Fr3aKi3
20-06-2006, 06:58 PM
...most of the new cars these days come with your radio antenna's in the rear demister bars so you cannot put a metallic film on your rear window...

Why can't you use metallic tints on a rear windscreen which has a built in antenna?

The only issue will be radio reception, mostly affect AM frequencies though. We have our Euro tinted with a metallic film in the rear and we've got no problems with it at all, FM reception is still good although occasionally AM is a bit on the weak side. So really the only issue with a metallic film on the rear windscreen is radio reception (mostly AM), there is a slight decrease in reception but that doesnt mean you can't use a metallic tint.

The legal limit in NSW is 35%, that percentage is in regards to how much light passes through the tint.

JaCe
20-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Why can't you use metallic tints on a rear windscreen which has a built in antenna?

The only issue will be radio reception, mostly affect AM frequencies though. We have our Euro tinted with a metallic film in the rear and we've got no problems with it at all, FM reception is still good although occasionally AM is a bit on the weak side. So really the only issue with a metallic film on the rear windscreen is radio reception (mostly AM), there is a slight decrease in reception but that doesnt mean you can't use a metallic tint.

The legal limit in NSW is 35%, that percentage is in regards to how much light passes through the tint.

So basically the lower the number is, the darker it is? Do people usually get different tints all around the car? Ultimately I would like tinting on the windshield since that's where the bright headlights come through (off other cars!).

And I don't listen to AM radio so no loss there :) I usually use my cd stacker and ocassionally will listen to FM radio for "new music" and traffic updates.

LowEk
20-06-2006, 07:03 PM

it does excatly that interfer with your radio stations and will sometimes cut the signal out.

LowEk
20-06-2006, 07:05 PM
I've emailed the RTA (NSW) about it and hopefully will receive a reply within a few days.

Thanks for the advice LowEk, I know this is gonna sound stupid but just to confirm- when people say 20% or 35%; does that refer to how much light is allowed in, or how much light is blocked out? I assumed it was how much would be blocked out; but after reading your reply I'm a tad confused.

As for colours, I think I wouldn't mind a blue (just to be a bit different), but black tint on a black car probably looks better (and sexier^^).

I can't find the brochure for my Civic but I remember it saying "in-glass" type for antenna so does that mean it's located there? I remember my Mum's old Benz had the antenna built into the car frame or something above the driver's window- well that's what the dealer told us when she bought it from memory.

the less the number e.g. 5% thats how much light it will let thru the window.
yer pretty much all new cars these days will come like that.

JaCe
20-06-2006, 07:07 PM
i know they are not in sydney but have a look at this page its my brothers work place some good pics there anyway. http://www.2for1windowtinting.com.au/ if you want any more info just let me know man.

I looked through your bro's site and it looks pretty sick. Judging by all the decals and so on, are they stuck on the outside of the car with the tinting done on the inside of the glass? I also wonder if it's like on buses where you can see out, but you can't see in...

LowEk
20-06-2006, 07:08 PM
So basically the lower the number is, the darker it is? Do people usually get different tints all around the car? Ultimately I would like tinting on the windshield since that's where the bright headlights come through (off other cars!).

And I don't listen to AM radio so no loss there :) I usually use my cd stacker and ocassionally will listen to FM radio for "new music" and traffic updates.

ive seen peolpe get like 20% on the front windows driver and pass sides and 5% round the back or 35% on the front and 20% round the back. its illehal to tine the front window you and get a front glare strip at the top of your front windoe but thats it.

LowEk
20-06-2006, 07:11 PM
I looked through your bro's site and it looks pretty sick. Judging by all the decals and so on, are they stuck on the outside of the car with the tinting done on the inside of the glass? I also wonder if it's like on buses where you can see out, but you can't see in...

yer no the decals are cut out of diffrent tints and stuck on the inside of the window then the normal tint over the top of that. busses windows are big stickers on the outside of the bus with little holes all over where the windows are so you can see out.

JaCe
20-06-2006, 07:12 PM
ive seen peolpe get like 20% on the front windows driver and pass sides and 5% round the back or 35% on the front and 20% round the back. its illehal to tine the front window you and get a front glare strip at the top of your front windoe but thats it.

Sorry I don't really understand what you mean? Can you elaborate? As in, it's illegal to tint the front window- and what's a front glare strip like? Damn... I wanted to tint my windshield ><

Fr3aKi3
20-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Tinting of the front windscreen is illegal and you can get fined for it.
Since you won't be listening to AM radio then get a metallic tint all round.

LowEk
20-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry I don't really understand what you mean? Can you elaborate? As in, it's illegal to tint the front window- and what's a front glare strip like? Damn... I wanted to tint my windshield ><

its illegal to tint the very front window that you see out of to drive. a front glare strip goes at the very top or your windscreen where the blue part is.its just more to try stop the sun at the top of your screen may also help with not having to put your sun visor down cos the glare strip will stop some of the sun shining into your car.

JaCe
20-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Tinting of the front windscreen is illegal and you can get fined for it.
Since you won't be listening to AM radio then get a metallic tint all round.

So what you're saying is we can't tint front windshield, but you recommend I tint my whole car with metallic tint (not inclusive of front windshield I'm guessing :(). Oh well.

LowEk
20-06-2006, 08:40 PM
So what you're saying is we can't tint front windshield, but you recommend I tint my whole car with metallic tint (not inclusive of front windshield I'm guessing :(). Oh well.

yep just do it if he has had no probs with it i know its not recommended but anyway if it works it works.

Breezy
03-07-2006, 09:08 PM

which type of tint did you get, f1?

L-Plates
03-07-2006, 09:18 PM
martin from teamgroundzero does awesome tinting at a competitive rate...
i got my EG done there...top job..!!..with a lifetime warranty aswell...

channon
03-07-2006, 10:18 PM
you can go to sol-ace in west ryde....next to the toyota dealer
thats where i got my former car tinted
i took formula 1 tint the rrp is 490 but i asked them 350 and they said ok
that was 2 years ago though but i think you could get a good price
tint was good quality and craftsmanship was not bad at all

euro69
04-07-2006, 03:40 PM
option window tints.
in Fairfield.
u'll be looking around 250-300 mark.

JaCe
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I just found out there's a new Solartint which just opened last wk near my place (Castle Hill) behind the Mobil. If anyone's interested, I'll post the phone number. Atm I'm gonna call them up and find out more about prices.

EDIT: This is the result of our conversation on the phone;

$195 for Standard Tint, 99% UV protection, 5 year warranty

$265 for Metallic tint, blocks out 1/3 heat & glare, 99% UV protection and
lifetime warranty

$295 for Metallic tint, blocks out 1/2 heat & glare, 99% UV protection and
lifetime warranty

$325 for Metallic tint, blocks out 2/3 heat & glare, 99% UV protection and
lifetime warranty- the thickest

The metallic tints will affect my ability to receive AM reception because I
have an inbuilt antenna into the glass, and the differences between
metallic tints is thickness in blocking out heat and glare. The metallic
tints are also as dark as legally allowed, and all tints cover the 4
windows, plus the rear window. It's illegal to do the front windshield
because it could potentially crack the laminated glass- that's what they
told me on the phone.

I'm thinking of doing the $265 one- seems reasonable.