PDA

View Full Version : DIY Home Dyno. Downloadable software.

SIKCVC
20-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Heres a link to a porsche site where I found software you can use to 'dyno' your car for almost nothing (less than $5).

Havn't tried it because Im too busy with work, but will do asap, anyone else tried it or who does try it, let everyone know if it works!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/streetdyno/street_dyno.htm

Nick

BusterSonic12
20-06-2006, 07:12 PM
does it work?

saxman
20-06-2006, 07:14 PM
I've used a similar set up before, and results were quite accurate

BiGANG
20-06-2006, 11:50 PM
I've used a similar set up before, and results were quite accurate

how does it work? is it similar to the gtech or is it a totally different thing?

JasonGilholme
21-06-2006, 05:47 AM
it analyses the sound of the pulses sent from the coil. From the data that you put in regarding weight, tire size, etc, it can determine how much power you're getting to the ground.

Sounds like a good idea. You can download the zip file from the site as well as a wiring diagram for the voltage divider.

Once you've got the zip file ($0) all you need to do is make the voltage divider (approx $5) and you've got yourself your own personal in car dyno!

I might have to give it a try

SIKCVC
21-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Once you've got the zip file ($0) all you need to do is make the voltage divider (approx $5) and you've got yourself your own personal in car dyno!

I might have to give it a try

Please let us know how it goes because I'd love to give it a shot but just dont have the time. Be a good DIY article!

EfiOz
21-06-2006, 11:42 AM
It works about as well as a Dynojet as what you are making is a inertial type dyno.

Beware, road gradients and headwinds throw the numbers off big time.

BlitZ
21-06-2006, 12:05 PM
what is the voltage diver..
I read it.. they mentioned about it..
but they said all you need is just a wav file.. ( i only read the main page)

JasonGilholme
21-06-2006, 12:56 PM
The voltage divider listens to the pulses from the coil and tones down the voltage to an acceptable level that the computer can handle.

It should basically work like this:

Coil --------> Voltage divider --------> audio in on your laptop

shinji112
22-06-2006, 09:58 AM
i think thats wat rival F1 teams do aswell.. they have ppl around the track that listen to the cars with all their high-tech gadgetry and they can find out wat kinda power output they have and if the engine has been turned down.. pretty amazing stuff