PDA

View Full Version : sub moving around alot

honda_ek4
21-06-2006, 07:10 PM
hey guys,
ive got a 12" sub in the back of my boot and it tends to move side to side, up and down wen i drive.. nothing happens tho but it annoys me every time i open my boot and its facing another direction..
is there a way to secure and make it look neat without any ropes or other boxes blocking it from moving since i need boot space here and then.

thanx!

[ricer]
21-06-2006, 07:11 PM
screw it down to that wood that covers ur spare wheel

JaCe
21-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Try using velco- staple it to the box, and then it'll stick to the stuff on the bottom of your boot :) Don't use cheap velcro- get proper industrial strength one so that it can support the sub.

destrukshn
21-06-2006, 07:13 PM
velcro, works wonders, but after you velcro it down, take it easy around corners and bumps, you gotta let it settle in, some minor movement makes it stick more.
=)

honda_ek4
21-06-2006, 07:14 PM
if i screw it down to the wood, will i still be able to take out my spare wheel and jack..etc?

how much would velcro cost and where will i be able to purchase it?

destrukshn
21-06-2006, 07:15 PM
bunnings.
you can buy velcro from there.

honda_ek4
21-06-2006, 07:18 PM
hmmm, would the velcro be thick? coz the bottom part of my sub box isnt straight. the sides are abit longer then the middle part, so onli the sides are touching the carpet and they are very thin. Will gettin long pieces or velcro and sticking it all the way along the sides make it secure enough?

[ricer]
21-06-2006, 07:18 PM
if i screw it down to the wood, will i still be able to take out my spare wheel and jack..etc?

of course man
the spare wheel in civics are tiny...

Stoosh
21-06-2006, 07:23 PM
much better option to use velcro i used it for my twin 12" kickers very heavy, used 6 strips 2 at each end and two in the middle, never had any problems sliding around, and prevents you from drilling holes in your car!

JaCe
21-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Yeh forgot to mention- try using multiple strips for added 'strength'. Make sure you staple it into the box otherwise it might even rip off (if it's only stuck on using adhesive- ie. glue).

honda_ek4
21-06-2006, 08:06 PM
no problemo.. thanx for the tip!

ICACHA
21-06-2006, 08:32 PM
roc-straps

dc2dc2dc2
21-06-2006, 09:02 PM
i think i got bungee cord ! works wonders !

Boban
21-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah i'd go for the velcro option man, I put a hole in my spare wheel when i screwed my box down :(. Now i took out the spare wheel cover (the boot in eg's is not flat, not sure about other models) and made me a 2 piece fake floor, i guess you coould call it, out of mdf, retrimmed it in white (white car)and made up some fake sides and did all that in white so now it looks like a big white box when you open the boot. Took me about 2 days (coz of work) and around 100 bucks all up. And the box (carpeted) does not seem to slide around at all on the vinyl. I've put it up against where the 2 floor pieces join so it can't move forward or back but there is no side-side movement either so i'm happy.

mrwillz
22-06-2006, 11:50 AM
u shud definatly make the sub stay
myn is still not tied down
and it bumpd into the amp behind my rear set and damaged the rca end

Mikeyas
22-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Velcro can.... work BUT!!!
IT will start pulling at your carpet, which will eventually pull that away from the parts that hold it on.
Ill show you my method when i get around to taking some pics.. Works much better then velcro, stronger, and removable.... So you can take out the sub with miminal effort..

mugeneration
22-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Velcro can.... work BUT!!!
IT will start pulling at your carpet, which will eventually pull that away from the parts that hold it on.
Ill show you my method when i get around to taking some pics.. Works much better then velcro, stronger, and removable.... So you can take out the sub with miminal effort..

Yeah this is the only draw back to velcro. While velcro is still the best option IMO, you can also use an array of octopus straps to hold it in place, but this kind of looks wierd if you havnt got the right boot for it, as there'll be straps everywhere lol.

You COULD screw it in to your floor, but (at least in my cars case) the wood used for flooring is very thin and weak, so youd have to upgrade that as well. A better option to simply screwing it in is to screw in clasps, so you can take the sub box out when needed. I could sell ya some if needed ;) haha

Mikeyas
22-06-2006, 02:49 PM
ahh you hit the nail on the head.. great minds think alike! i have a metal clasp system in place which can be attached and un-attached when needed. All parts sourced from bunnings... god bless them!!

Fr3aKi3
22-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Any pics of your clasp systems mugeneration and Mikeyas?

nugget666
22-06-2006, 10:40 PM
my sub box is coverd in carpet.

its sitting on my ek1 jsut carpet to carpet. hasnt budged an inch for 2-3 months

nedgeworth
23-06-2006, 07:35 AM
roc-straps

:thumbsup: All you need

JaCe
23-06-2006, 09:06 AM
my sub box is coverd in carpet.

its sitting on my ek1 jsut carpet to carpet. hasnt budged an inch for 2-3 months

I guess if you have a really heavy sub, then maybe it won't move around so much if there is sufficient grip between the sub box and the carpet naturally? *shrugs* I put velcro even on the back so I can tip the sub upwards in case I have to carry pointy/sharp objects.

Mikeyas
23-06-2006, 12:16 PM
ahh ok , will make sure i get photos up tonight....
I had to do the clasp system as in the integra there is alot of space for the sub too move. I did not have as much as a problem as such in my old eg or
4g hatch. But definately in the teg... I had problems with the sub flying around the boot and then the velcro system made it slide around and take the carpet with it....

mugeneration
23-06-2006, 06:02 PM
ahh ok , will make sure i get photos up tonight....
I had to do the clasp system as in the integra there is alot of space for the sub too move. I did not have as much as a problem as such in my old eg or
4g hatch. But definately in the teg... I had problems with the sub flying around the boot and then the velcro system made it slide around and take the carpet with it....

Lol I had the same problem. Driving around a corner you hear this big 'THUNK'. If the systems not going, people always say "OH MY GOD YOU HIT SOMETHING!" Or if it is going, the bass suddenly stops coz the wires have come out lol.

As for pics, it wont seem to work uploading, so ill wait for Mikeyas to post his.

Chronos
23-06-2006, 09:07 PM
http://users.bigpond.net.au/dpolydor/img_1978.jpg

arverson
24-06-2006, 03:25 PM
^^

i have roc-straps too cept mine go from side-to-side, across the top of the box. works a treat.

i drive pretty hard too (take hard corners fast, brake suddenly, etc) n the box has neva moved.

if u wanna have ur subbox secured, then rocstraps is probly the best $20-30 u can spend.

bennyBear
25-06-2006, 03:50 PM
i just took the thin timber tire cover out, traced around it onto a piece of 30mm ply wood, and cut it out!! fits perfectly because it's a mirror of the original and is nice and sturdy.

From there just buy a couple of stainless 90 degree brackets fix them to the sub-box and then to the timber!! (through the carpet lining so you can hide the cables etc underneath) and away you go!!

Remember to cut a hand grip out of the insert so you can still get to your tire/tools!

All up i think it cost me about $15 and a spare hour

BRU51N
09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
or you could just put a peice of velro (the spikey side) under your box, wouldnt move at all once it makes contact with your carpet in the boot.

i put velcro on all my cars, and its never failed.

u can buy velcro at clarks rubbers for about $2/m

tRipitaka
09-07-2006, 02:29 PM
yep.. definitely try velcro.

euro69
09-07-2006, 10:54 PM
use an anti-slip mat
clark rubber has them

m3ntAL_l2
11-07-2006, 09:54 PM
if u gonan screw the sub to the wood, dont use a long screw & watch out for the spare tyer under it.
when i did mine i putted a hole in my tyer lol:o

marcs
18-07-2006, 10:47 PM
The floors in the hondas are pretty thin, so if you're going to screw anything in it might be a better idea to maybe glue some mdf to the floor with liquid nails or something, and then screw it into the mdf. Or how about just gluing it to the floor?

Damn chronos that sub takes up your whole boot.

roar
23-07-2006, 07:56 PM
here's what i did to my old car

ek1 sedan

for hatch cars, you can't do this but you can attach the bracket to the wooden board

http://users.bigpond.net.au/maxibon/car/subsmall1.jpg

and closeup

http://users.bigpond.net.au/maxibon/car/subsmall2.jpg

newmski
24-07-2006, 03:29 AM
im gonna make a new floor for my civic whe i fin someon one with a jig saw and what i hope to do is make it 2-peice so that i can have the sub screw down to the wood but have a hinged bit for easy access to the spare tyre. if all goes to plan i'll make a nice DIY for ya'll