PDA

View Full Version : Clutch thoughts

crx51
21-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Hey all my ED9 crx clutch is on its way out so i need a new one. What clutches have you all got experience with and what would you recommend as a result?

nugget666
21-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Depend on what you use your car for?

i dont know much on clutch's/ but your you dont strap your car.

why couldnt you go a stock clutch again.

Limbo
21-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Sports organic is good for the sportiness and the stock feel.
Otherwise OEM is good, unless your a hardcore racer then you go ceramic

crx88rb
22-06-2006, 12:20 AM
stay standard. my theroy is, if it doesnt make more than factory hp then it doesnt have to be upgraded to anything higher, unless you wanted more bite from the clutch

j3z3z
22-06-2006, 12:56 AM
stay standard. my theroy is, if it doesnt make more than factory hp then it doesnt have to be upgraded to anything higher, unless you wanted more bite from the clutch

true!

trudogg
22-06-2006, 02:03 AM
mite b in the noob forum but its a good thread for you...search buddy.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45869

aznpsuazn
22-06-2006, 04:23 AM
depends how you drive it i think. if you flat shift and rev dump ild be getting a heavy duty if you want the clutch to last. if you want the gearbox to last ild be getting a standard original and dont thrash ur car.

mugeneration
22-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Yah stock is good. But of you're thinkin of upgrading your clutch, get a flywheel as well. I wish I had of. Its much cheaper to get a new flywheel put in when theyre replacing the clutch than at a later point. I chose not to, and they ended up machining my stock flywheel anyway.

barefootbonzai
22-06-2006, 02:27 PM

I would dissagree with this. The cost would pretty much cost the same. Y would you settle for something good when you can get something better for the same price.

aznpsuazn
22-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I would dissagree with this. The cost would pretty much cost the same. Y would you settle for something good when you can get something better for the same price.

It is true they would cost the same, but there is no doubt that genuine honda replacement would last longer than an aftermarket IF the car is driven normally and not flat shifted, rev-dumped etc. I dont think that a heavy duty clutch is any better than a standard for normal driving, but under stressful driving conditions then it would hold better.
Heavy duty clutches are designed for higher outputs of torque and power, and if he is running completely standard parts with larger diameter wheels, there is going to be much more strain on the gearbox with flat shifts because neither th clutch will slip or the wheels will spin, thus not allowing this margin for excess torque to dissipitate. This is one of the reasons why wrx gearboxes break, there is just no play in the driveline.

crx51
22-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Thankyou all for you input. I drive reasonably sedately most of the time but when i do give it a little bit i like to have that bite available.

I might look at an exedy sports organic.

As for the flywheel im tossing that up as well, im not sure whether i want to sacrifice the torquey feel of the d16a8 and also the driveability.

If anyone has advice on this also feel free to comment..

barefootbonzai
22-06-2006, 03:24 PM
It is true they would cost the same, but there is no doubt that genuine honda replacement would last longer than an aftermarket IF the car is driven normally and not flat shifted, rev-dumped etc. I dont think that a heavy duty clutch is any better than a standard for normal driving, but under stressful driving conditions then it would hold better.
Heavy duty clutches are designed for higher outputs of torque and power, and if he is running completely standard parts with larger diameter wheels, there is going to be much more strain on the gearbox with flat shifts because neither th clutch will slip or the wheels will spin, thus not allowing this margin for excess torque to dissipitate. This is one of the reasons why wrx gearboxes break, there is just no play in the driveline.

Yeah, just get a stock one then...