PDA

View Full Version : d16a8-crx, wont start- ecu problems??

crx91
22-06-2006, 12:06 PM
hey all, my crx wont start:( she turns over but wont start.. i've had racq out 4 a look and they say it only has 1 spark then nothing...
she was runnin sweet last night then had to fill up(fuel got real low:( was out bush.) then when i got back in to start her up she wouldnt start, went over her but nuthin obvious so i managed to roll start her.. on the way home she was missin pretty bad, but other then that she was fine. wouldnt start this morning.. the electronics side of things have kinda gone downhill of late-left blinker stuk on, power windows dont work and dash light dont come on.. oh yeah and pretty sure the rings on their way out.. just gets better and better hey,, so tryin to tell u all i can think of to see if any body might know wat the hell is goin on..?? if any body has any clue please let me know asap..

cheers..

EuroDude
22-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah you may just need to resolder dry joints on the ECU chip or possibly another circuit/chip/connector somewhere.

Ive had a few distributer problems (cap and coil) with my D16A8 so that may be the cause of the engine not firing up.

crx91
22-06-2006, 03:05 PM
sweet man thanks for the reply.. were u experiencing the same probs?

nedgeworth
22-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Start with your dizzy man. Very common problem with these motors.

bennjamin
22-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Start with your dizzy man. Very common problem with these motors.

EXactly. Look at both the igniter unit and ingitio module ~ common to burn out with age. Also check the main relay (located under the drivers side - next to the fuse panel)

ECU-MAN
22-06-2006, 08:36 PM
like everyone says dude

start with the dizzy. check your leads and rotor button then dizzy cap.

I doubt your ecu is at fault. they are quite reliable.

EuroDude
22-06-2006, 09:01 PM
sweet man thanks for the reply.. were u experiencing the same probs?

yep the car would misfire and choke, then eventually stopped completely, could not start it at all after that.

I would try new spark plugs first, then try a new dizzy cap since they are cheap and simple to replace, then get a mech to check it out for you since it gets expensive from here. Dizzy coils arent cheap.

fat_85_civic
22-06-2006, 10:03 PM
my car did the same thing and i changed the igniter and its all good now so try that if its veaper than a coil.

crx91
23-06-2006, 10:06 AM
thanks for all the info guys,, may turn out to be very helpful? i got a auto elec comin out today, so i will keep u posted on the details.. relay looks to be fine.. dizzy looks a bit worse for wear but?? my ecu has been flooded before!:( could that possibly have any bearing on the situation? it was like 7 months ago and was dried out and inspected by a pro and has been fine since, so?? guess time will tell now..

CRXXX
25-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi, i would agree with the solder points on your ECU, i had the exact same problem awhile ago, fuel scenario and all. Turned out there was alot of solder points had broken.

It was expensive for me. hope you find the problem.

I suggest an auto electrician to run the computer through your system.

CRXXX

crx91
03-07-2006, 11:53 AM
hey guys,, sorry havnt been able to get on for a while but here goes..
auto elec came out and he was convinced that it was the ecu, so took it and got it tested and it was 100%.. so.. spoke to a few reliable sources and all that kept coming up was the dizzy.. so we took the dizzy out and had her tested- fine..so by know we are thinking f#*k. so after racking our brains for hours and hours it occured that it couldnt be much else.. and spoke to someone who told us that the module on the dizzy can not be tested on certain testers.. so we ended up takin a punt and bought a brand new dizzy.. put her in and nothing had really changed..but after workin on her for an hour or so we got her started! then the next mornin started her up sweet.. drivin down to my auto elec/mechanic- got one exit away and she just died doin 110kph- she did become real restrictive to drive and all electronics died slowly, so it was obvious that the alternator had now s#*t itself, prob due to the new dizzy... so dad came out and jumped me and we made it a bit further then once again and we made it there!! woohoo(no attempts at gettin her onto a tow truk, thank christ) so with any luck i get her back today:) thanks for all ur replies... u guys rock.