PDA

View Full Version : Civic 06 - Running in New Engine

kn_19_ht
22-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Guys,

I've just recently picked up my VTi manual..and I've done about 200kms so far..Just wondering for those who bought either the Sport, VTi or VTi - L, what did you do to run in your engine? How long did you leave it idle before driving or turning off the ignition. Any other Do's and Don't would be greatly appreciated.

Also just wondering if anyone here has bought the hybrid? and if you want to sell me your rear spoiler? hahah..just kidding..

Thanks for all your tips and advise..

aznpsuazn
22-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Ive never bought a new car because im too poor too, but i didnt think they needed any special care. i just wouldnt be thrashing it and the usual 5 minute warm up before you drive is standard practice for any car.

JaCe
22-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm using a VTi-L automatic and based on what I had heard from various people; I just drove the car around a lot... you should try avoiding harsh acceleration during the first 1000km (ie. don't try to go beyond 4000rpm too often). IIRC the manual also has information regarding run-in procedures; as well as run-in procedures for the brakes.

Btw the engine becomes pretty good at around 1000km, and really really smooth once you pass 3000.

czy_sol87
22-06-2006, 06:37 PM
dont be too soft on the car, cause if u drive it soft all the time from when its new, when u do decide to put ur foot down the motor cant take it, when we got our new car, mum drove it soft all the time, but when i was in the seat it got a good thrashing, and now the motor is run in better than most SV6's. my mate drives alot of company cars recons that our car is run-in very well compared to most of the other SV6's he drives. he says when he gives it in these company cars they dont have the same 'go' as mine. thats my experience of a new car anyway

ECU-MAN
22-06-2006, 08:31 PM
drive it like you stole it after its warmed up

thread moved

Bob san
22-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Never rev a cold engine. u can tell when ur ideling or when ur in netural. When its warm it should be round 700-800 rpm. if not it would be at something like 1000+.

Drive it normally (if its 80km zone do 80km) and give it a good spanking once in a while :thumbsup:

aaronng
22-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Start your car, let it idle for 30 seconds. This is to let the oil pump circulate the oil throughout the galleries in your engine. Then drive off normally. Normal driving means maximum 1/2 throttle and no exceeding 3000rpm. Once the temperature needle reaches nearly the middle point and stops moving, then you can give it more throttle.

As for running in, you should use 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle up to redline, once each time in 2nd or 3rd gear. Once you have done that, just drive as per usual style until 1000km but without keeping the engine at a particular RPM. THat means city driving is the best and highway driving is a no no.

Jonathon
22-06-2006, 11:44 PM
You can help assure your car's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 1,000 km.

Try to avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Also try to avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 300 km.

aaronng
22-06-2006, 11:49 PM
You can help assure your car's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 1,000 km.

Try to avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Also try to avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 300 km.
That sounds like from the manual......

Jonathon
23-06-2006, 12:10 AM
it from hondaONE

aaronng
23-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Ahhh, no wonder it sounded familiar!

JaCe
23-06-2006, 09:02 AM
But then from experience, the Civic's engine, even under light acceleration glides up to 4000rpm quite often so it may be hard to keep it under 3.

EK9_boi
23-06-2006, 09:37 AM
ha, just make sheure you seal the rings good - that'll make sure you'll produce the most power. the trade of is that you'll have a shorter engine life...but then again...if you upgrade in 3-4 years it doesn't matter...:p hehehe

cheers

krogoth
23-06-2006, 02:10 PM
all of the above is tru

but most importantly reed ur manual. lots of useful info in there

oms
15-07-2006, 06:18 AM
im just about to take delivery of my 2006, and was reading this...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

what are your thoughts???

corn_flakes
15-07-2006, 10:16 AM
lol...my euro is sitting on about 5000kms now...

my 1000km run in was pootastic...

drove off as soon as the engine was started...driving habits were very variable...

with 1st and 2nd gear hitting 6000rpm at least once every time i drove the car...

sometimes even when the car hasn't warmed up yet...=(

kn_19_ht
15-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks all for your input..

Ive done about 850kms now..
Once i get in the car, i always wait for the fuel pump to finish making that sound before clicking it over..then once its idling, i will let it idle till it goes below 1k.

Once i start driving, i never give it 2 much...only until ive been driving a bit..then i will shift between 3k - 4k..depends obviously..

I took the car once on the freeway to about 150..bt thats abt it..
how many kms have u guys done..

and hows the 1st 1,000km service...

im very happy with the car...how about u guys?

aaronng
15-07-2006, 11:40 AM
im just about to take delivery of my 2006, and was reading this...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

what are your thoughts???
That's the method I used. The trick is that you MUST have the engine totally warmed up, do this in the first 100km and... you only need to do the process once. So your car will experience hard acceleration for about 8-10 seconds in its running in period. But after that, for the rest of the 999km, you can drive it gently.

BTW, hard acceleration is ok. Full throttle starts are not.

oms
15-07-2006, 05:23 PM
That's the method I used. The trick is that you MUST have the engine totally warmed up, do this in the first 100km and... you only need to do the process once. So your car will experience hard acceleration for about 8-10 seconds in its running in period. But after that, for the rest of the 999km, you can drive it gently.

BTW, hard acceleration is ok. Full throttle starts are not.

ok cool...the site says to do it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th...how the hell can i load the engine in 4th without doing 180km/h ? :)

im guessing all i have to do it redline (is that what he means when he says "hard throttle") the car in 2nd and maybe 3rd ...4th is an impossibility :confused:

aaronng
16-07-2006, 02:55 AM
Just do it in 2nd. You do what you can. Don't break the speed limit. One way to emulate 4th gear is to do 2nd gear uphill. The extra load will give it the same level of pressure driving on flat road in 4th gear.

I'd prefer to just use 2nd gear, do 1/2 throttle up to 4500rpm and then slow down by releasing the accelerator and letting the engine slow your car down on its own. Repeat with 3/4 throttle up to 5500rpm and slow down. Then full throttle up to 7000rpm and then slow down. That's all. 3 times is all you need.

philBo
16-07-2006, 02:21 PM
i dont think its all that necessary to nurse it that much by keeping the rpm's under 3k or what not. just drive it relatively tame during that first 1000kms/1 month and you shoudl be fine. Most new cars are supposedly meant to have the engine run in already, so if u dont thrash the car too much too soon it should be alrite.

string
16-07-2006, 09:46 PM
i dont think its all that necessary to nurse it that much by keeping the rpm's under 3k or what not. just drive it relatively tame during that first 1000kms/1 month and you shoudl be fine. Most new cars are supposedly meant to have the engine run in already, so if u dont thrash the car too much too soon it should be alrite.
Exactally. You're living in a fairy tale if you think your the first person to turn on the engine as you drive it from the show-room floor.

The site linked is intended for motors just built, not factory motors which have allready been run (I read somewhere that some motorcycle manufacturer holds each engine at limiter for quite some time upon the first startup. I don't know the validity of this claim, but I certainly believe it)

**Ghost**
17-07-2006, 09:21 AM
warm it up...

then drive it like you stole it from a man who slept with your daughter, then your wife. (or your husband...depending)

our family actually bought 2 suzukis brand new... oen was driven by me in the aforementioend fashion and was powerful, grunty... the other was driven by my aunty... and it had significantly less power... (buttocks dyno indicates about 20% difference)

oms
17-07-2006, 10:50 AM
warm it up...

then drive it like you stole it from a man who slept with your daughter, then your wife. (or your husband...depending)

our family actually bought 2 suzukis brand new... oen was driven by me in the aforementioend fashion and was powerful, grunty... the other was driven by my aunty... and it had significantly less power... (buttocks dyno indicates about 20% difference)

haha, ok...

did you do this only once or all the time?

tinkerbell
17-07-2006, 10:36 PM
i was VTECing my wifes Jazz VTi with only 200km on the clock...

just make sure you are easy on the clutch for a bit, and remember the tyres will be shit for the first 500-100km anyways...

dont stress...

most of the old mumbo jumbo above about keep it under 3000rpm etc etc are just hard to forget hang-ups from the oldern days...

timofytit
17-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Start your car, let it idle for 30 seconds. This is to let the oil pump circulate the oil throughout the galleries in your engine. Then drive off normally. Normal driving means maximum 1/2 throttle and no exceeding 3000rpm. Once the temperature needle reaches nearly the middle point and stops moving, then you can give it more throttle.

As for running in, you should use 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle up to redline, once each time in 2nd or 3rd gear. Once you have done that, just drive as per usual style until 1000km but without keeping the engine at a particular RPM. THat means city driving is the best and highway driving is a no no.

Correcto:thumbsup: :thumbsup: