PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Valve Stem Seals

DOHCVTEC
23-06-2006, 02:54 AM
Has anyone replaced their Valve Stem Seals on a DOHC-VTEC engine due to engine oil consumption? heard it was hard to do on DOHC VTEC heads.
If so did u replace it with OEM seals or after market? and did that fix the engine oil consumption problem?
Thanks

ECU-MAN
26-06-2006, 12:04 AM
I have done it before.

it is a bit of a bitch. I made my own tool to do it in the car with out removing the head.

you have to remove the cams, and timming belt.

on other cars that I have done it to it made a difference. you need to know for sure if its your rings or valve steam seals.

Limbo
26-06-2006, 02:27 PM
yeah its hard to tell that's why most mechanics tell you to replace stem valves & rings. Its the labour that you pay for and yeah it stopped me last time cos the trouble to get it all apart is like enough to do an engine rebuild

bennjamin
26-06-2006, 03:59 PM
try replacing the PCV on the inlet manifold ~ its also a convtributor to oil consumption if the valve is old or worn.
Or even run a thicker oil...

Weq
01-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Wet/Dry - Compression and leak down tests will tell the story. Dont prod around in the dark.

As for valve stem seals, snap-on make a tool specifically for it. For a first time DIY'r, its no easy task without it.