PDA

View Full Version : Civic Sedan 6th Gen motor strength

birdie
23-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Ok I'm a total n00b when it comes to hondas, I have only owned a Toyota. I currently own a 97 AE102 Corolla Seca 1.8L 7AFE (weak as :S).

Now I'm looking to upgrade to a car that has more space (boot space especially, so that i can have room for my sub box + a fair bit of luggage :P) and also has better performance, now that doesn't mean it has to be better stock, so long as it has a decent strong motor so that i can install a supercharger kit (custom) from a mate (Raptor Superchargers (http://www.raptorsc.com.au)). I'd like to be able to get the car (what ever i end up choosing) down to at least a 14.x sec 400m time. I also would like a less common car too, so that is one reason I'm thinking maybe the Civic ;)

So I had seen some 6th Gen (2000 model) Civic Sedans in a couple of older magazines i had, and they looked damn sexy :P and they appear to have pretty good boot space from what i could tell from the pictures (Correct me if i'm wrong, please). But what I don't know is how strong are the motors in the 6th gen sedans? Are they VTEC?

Mr_will
24-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Ok I'm a total n00b when it comes to hondas, I have only owned a Toyota. I currently own a 97 AE102 Corolla Seca 1.8L 7AFE (weak as :S).

Now I'm looking to upgrade to a car that has more space (boot space especially, so that i can have room for my sub box + a fair bit of luggage :P) and also has better performance, now that doesn't mean it has to be better stock, so long as it has a decent strong motor so that i can install a supercharger kit (custom) from a mate (Raptor Superchargers (http://www.raptorsc.com.au)). I'd like to be able to get the car (what ever i end up choosing) down to at least a 14.x sec 400m time. I also would like a less common car too, so that is one reason I'm thinking maybe the Civic ;)

So I had seen some 6th Gen (2000 model) Civic Sedans in a couple of older magazines i had, and they looked damn sexy :P and they appear to have pretty good boot space from what i could tell from the pictures (Correct me if i'm wrong, please). But what I don't know is how strong are the motors in the 6th gen sedans? Are they VTEC?

firstly, if youre thinking that a civic isnt common...think again. im not saying theyre not good cars, they certainly are, but they are very very common.

the boot space will not be significantly greater than a corolla, and if supercharging is what youre thinking of, toyota pretty much are where its at.

the 7afe engine is a piece of shit as far as performance is concered, it was designed to be reliable and have decent torque, both of which it achieves. be thankful youre not driving a 4afc.

to the point, get yourself a 4agze, toyotas supercharged engine. these are inexpensive to buy, easy to find parts for, and easy to get quite decent power out of. im not saying supercharging a honda is impossible, but you will find that because there are so many more 4agze's around than supercharged hondas, it will be an easier task, especially if you dont plan on doing the work yourself.

Fr3aKi3
26-06-2006, 09:40 AM
The 6th Gen that you're refering to would have an 'EK' chassis number.
I believe that sedans only came in two main variants, a GLi and VTi.
The GLi has a D16Y4, which does NOT have Vtec and is rated at 88kw (according to Honda).
The VTi has a D16Y5 engine which DOES have Vtec but it was only ever available with a CVT (automatic), I think it made around 96kw.

In stock forms the corolla and Civic don't have that much difference in power (at least with the GLi). If you're looking to go force induction on a D-series engine then possibly have a gander at www.d-series.org.