PDA

View Full Version : Broke down on freeway last night! Help!!!!!!

broke
24-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I was goingdown the eastern freeway at about 110km/h the engine started tapping (only word i can think of that matches the sond) the tapping got louder and louder the car started to jolt and the oil and battery lights flashed.
I pulled over turned the engine off but now it wont turn over! lights and even air con work but its like theres no sign of the engine there at all. Its a 1991 civic the old 1.6 carb. Any help would be fantastic!]
Thanks

ACTI0NMAN-1
24-06-2006, 11:43 AM
could be a bad cel in the battery, providing enough power for the aircon but not enough to turnover.

broke
24-06-2006, 11:53 AM
RACV blokes said it could be the oil presure not getting around the engine...

94vtirozguy
24-06-2006, 12:36 PM
timing belt
no oil in engine
not enough oil pressure

CRXer
24-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Starter motor self destructed?

kerim
24-06-2006, 01:29 PM
could it be the dizzy, happend to me, everything worked but car wouldnt just start, even with jumpleads

broke
24-06-2006, 03:22 PM
there was plenty of oil not sre about pressure the racv guy couldn't manually turn the engine either. kerim what was the damage to your wallet with a new dizzy? and excuse my noobness but what is a dizzy?

EuroDude
24-06-2006, 04:14 PM
A dizzy is the Distributor on the side of the engine that sends/times electricity to the spark plugs, its the black round thing where the spark plug leeds go into.

Try a new dizzy cap first since they are usually the first to go, otherwise it may be the coil or igniter which are more expensive.

But if you heard tapping, then maybe the oil pump(?) or timing belt failed and caused the engine to starve of oil or the pistons to hit the valves and cause major damage, requiring an engine rebuild or possibly an engine replacement if the damage is too expensive to repair.

Lets hope thats not what happened :eek:

ECU-MAN
25-06-2006, 01:08 AM
i think your motor has seized

fatboyz39
25-06-2006, 08:30 AM
seems like there was no oil pressure in your motor.

Sorry but your motor is goneskiiii.....

Limbo
25-06-2006, 09:56 AM
no oil pressure usually mean your oil pump has gone seizing your engine. Minght need a rebuilt or replacement

broke
25-06-2006, 11:02 AM
i've only had the thing a bit more than a week! havent paid it off yet! i will find out from the mech on monday, i'll post te damage then. thanks for your help everyone.

dsp26
25-06-2006, 06:53 PM
try jumpstarting it to test for battery/starter
try push/clutch starting it for above also, BUT, if at the moment you dump the clutch the the car doesn't like... your engine may very well be seized!!

have you checked for oil levels? could've leaked gradually say through your crank seal hence killing the engine...

Spunkymonkey
26-06-2006, 12:11 PM
as mentioned it could be the coil..but more than likely you will find the car will bunny hop before stalling. Second hand coils shouldn't be too bad if you can source. Let us know what mechanic says.

Weq
26-06-2006, 11:46 PM
the engine is toast. for whatever reason u lost oil pressure and now everything is ruined. start looking for another, dont even bother with a mechanic checkup its just a waste of $100

broke
22-07-2006, 06:02 PM
sorry about the massive delay. if anyone cares had to get new engine cost $1600 sucks a lot cos it was only meant to be a runaround to get to work was gonna get something nicer to do up. thanks for everyones help!

VTi_b0i
22-07-2006, 06:16 PM
TIMING BELTTTTTTT
engine = fcukt

luzinit
22-07-2006, 09:42 PM
So what was the cause of the problem?
Same thing happened to my car, tensioner bearing collapsed, affecting timing belt. Got it towed to hanny's for 120 from Chatswood, and he replaced the bearing and timing belt for 200 or so.., nothing else was ****ed, thank god!! heheheh

RMN15N
25-07-2006, 04:42 PM
hectick im so gona get a rep for this..
ok dude.. first thing pop ur hood.. look for ur pully
the main one
which the crank shaft spins check if its loose by wobbling it if thats the case all ur belts would be off snaped or etc..
ur crank shaft should be chewing itself out..ur gonna probably have to get it machined and its not cheap..

were u driving and all of a sudden it just battery light poped on and there was no power steering??
i stake my life on it that it was the crank shaft and the pulleys fault.. as it causes the car to snap the belts n stuff.. that tapping noise was soft and gets louder then when it got really loud it all snaped thus ur alternator belts and powersteering

well it is cheaper to put a new motor in the car then to recondition it

rep me mods 1+

fly_vti
25-07-2006, 04:47 PM
all i can say is.. you got a good excuse to get a b18c7 conversion :)

Twincam16
25-07-2006, 10:41 PM
As luzinit (& RMN15N tried) to explain, there may be a problem with a pulley/crank bearing.

I remember a common problem in the 4AG toyota engines was the crank pulley stub to wear down. This would then cause a (+/-) timing change to occur on the go. Effects of this are gradual power loss with throttle change, which eventually ceases up the motor. Tapping sound could be coming from either the loose pulley/crank bearing as it spins (relative to revs).

Could also be oil pressure, as this could be another reason for the sound. However, this would be a worse option. If I were you id get them both checked out (Edit: unless youve already bought the engine!). Should be easy to detect an oil pressure drop, check the block/seals for leaks, put a large piece of cardboard under the car for a night - check next morning, even for a drop.

RMN15N
26-07-2006, 12:36 AM
As luzinit (& RMN15N tried) to explain, there may be a problem with a pulley/crank bearing.

I remember a common problem in the 4AG toyota engines was the crank pulley stub to wear down. This would then cause a (+/-) timing change to occur on the go. Effects of this are gradual power loss with throttle change, which eventually ceases up the motor. Tapping sound could be coming from either the loose pulley/crank bearing as it spins (relative to revs).

Could also be oil pressure, as this could be another reason for the sound. However, this would be a worse option. If I were you id get them both checked out (Edit: unless youve already bought the engine!). Should be easy to detect an oil pressure drop, check the block/seals for leaks, put a large piece of cardboard under the car for a night - check next morning, even for a drop.

sorry dude, my vocab isnt that great. the way u explained it was how my post was ment to sound.

Twincam16
26-07-2006, 05:40 PM
nah you knew what you were talkin about but was hard to understand...
i gave you rep point though... because you asked for it... :p

fly_vti
26-07-2006, 06:35 PM
nah you knew what you were talkin about but was hard to understand...
i gave you rep point though... because you asked for it... :p

can i get one too :p