PDA

View Full Version : what kind of engine oil works best?

kiddoDC2
06-05-2004, 11:45 PM
hi all

jus would like your feedback on this

i need to do an oil change soon on my vtir integra and was wondering what oil would best suit it

some details of my car
its has run more than 170,000 kms and its a 94 model

also any specific oil filters that i have to use?

heard good things about honda motor oil but given the age of the engine i'm not really sure what to use

type one
07-05-2004, 02:47 PM
at 170,000km i'd be spending a lil more on oil (than usual heheh) personally i'd choose an oil with a heavier weighting... everything is getting a bit old and you probably want some added protection.

dunno maybe a synthetic 5w-50? or 10w-40?

HOnda oil is great!

Mitch M
07-05-2004, 03:13 PM
at 170,000km i'd be spending a lil more on oil (than usual heheh) personally i'd choose an oil with a heavier weighting... everything is getting a bit old and you probably want some added protection.

dunno maybe a synthetic 5w-50? or 10w-40?

HOnda oil is great!

you want more than 10w-40

go the 50

b16a_integra
07-05-2004, 07:43 PM
casrtrol formula R. they gots 5-30 and 10-50 (i think). but yeh castrol formula R is the BEST.

[iVTEC]
07-05-2004, 08:19 PM
for integra's i would run a 15-50 oil.... 5 or 10 would be thin... its good once in a while but i would NOT run it on a daily basis.... would only run it for drags and stuff.... u do feel the power difference but it is very thin... therefore wearing your engine out.... if u use it too often you would notice your engine's noise getting louder and stuff over time... definitely recommend 15-50.... also for older engines i normally use thicker oil to reduce wear and also noise...

also correct me if i am wrong but i always thought honda used mineral based oil////

oil filter just use any for eg ryco.....
they are all essentially the same except for the type r''s you would want to get the oem ones.... cause they are smaller to run better pressure...

RSR
08-05-2004, 10:12 PM
i would use 7.5w/50.........get it from Nissan Dealer.....it will give a smooth ride and a better life for yur engine

TODA AU
09-05-2004, 11:28 AM
We use MOTUL oils for performance service & Valvoline for normal services...
15W40 / 20W40 / 20W50 are suitable
For what it's worth, engines with solid lifters don't need as thin oil as those with modern hydraulic lifters... (Eg SR20DET)
Thinner oils also cause engines to be unusually harsh & noisy...
(That is - sound like a tractor)

I prefer an OEM filter however any Aust standards approved filter is more than acceptable... Examples: Ryco, Copper etc...
Best filter available is probably FRAM (Remote mount required)

If in any doubt...
Use HONDA engine oil & oil filter...

DC2.R
12-05-2004, 11:07 AM
I did my first oil change about 3 weeks ago and used Mobil 1 and i was amazed at the how much of a difference it made. I hear of people using Mobil gold, its like $86 a pop. Anyone here use it in there Teg??? is it any good??? whats the difference to Mobil 1???

ECU-MAN
13-05-2004, 07:57 PM
FEO R or Mobil 1 synth

-MuGen PoWer-
13-05-2004, 10:04 PM
im currently using honda oil
apparently rob@hanny's said its realli good

its onli 10w-30 prety thin !!!

wat are ur opinions on honda oil???

does any1 wanna buy a 5 litre off me?? because i got a few :D

ECU-MAN
13-05-2004, 10:14 PM
I swear by it

-MuGen PoWer-
13-05-2004, 10:14 PM
I swear by it

wat u mean by that?/

ECU-MAN
13-05-2004, 10:17 PM
nothin fits honda like honda

I will always put Feo ,Hmo ( what ever its called now ) in Hondas.
sometimes used to use mobile 1 coz some people want synthetic oil.

Honda oil is a must in some Legends

kiddoDC2
14-05-2004, 04:23 AM
FEO R or Mobil 1 synth

FEO R? whats that? a thinner oil made for type Rs?

anyways i settled for FEO , not bad for its price, better than that crap ye get from shell

ECU-MAN
14-05-2004, 09:28 AM
yeah its used for S2000 and NSX.
dont know if they have scrapped it though as they have changed names of the oils a while ago.

ArSe
14-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Mobil 1 gold is a good oil but its expensive, i used it for my Type r, and you can definately feel the difference..... but there are some other brands out there that are just as good... just have to go through the labels and check the differences....

Repsol oils are good. as honda uses them.... but i tried the difference between Repsol and Mobil 1 and thought mobil was a bit better..... and it also depends on your car... every car is different so u just have to try it out.........

DC2.R
14-05-2004, 01:52 PM
So there are two different types of Mobil 1???

Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 - Gold

is this correct???

jenova
14-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Mobil 1 gold is a good oil but its expensive, i used it for my Type r, and you can definately feel the difference..... but there are some other brands out there that are just as good... just have to go through the labels and check the differences....

Repsol oils are good. as honda uses them.... but i tried the difference between Repsol and Mobil 1 and thought mobil was a bit better..... and it also depends on your car... every car is different so u just have to try it out.........

are u talking about the mobil 1 5-50 in gold packaging? if it is, that is just the new packaging of the old 5-50 blue and red packaging.

I have been using mobil 1 5-50 for the past few years and find that the colour of the oil is getting darker and darker fresh from the bottle. :|
Not sure that affects the quality though. But it does get very thick and black after 5000km.

Javed
15-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi all. went and got some oil today, and the guy at supercheap helped me out. I have a 93 DC2 Gsi and it has around 140 k's on it. I decided i wanted a thicker oil due to the age of the engine, so i was looking for around 15W-40 or similar. Now Mobil 1 only came in 5w-40 i think it was, very thin anyways. So that lead me to a choice of pennzoil or valvoline (both synthetic oils). I decided on the pennzoil synthetic blend 15w-50 and it was $33 i think. Now my question to you guys is if this is suitable for my application? Also i went and bought a oil filter (valvoline one) which is a Z79A which i think i read in the ryco manual thye had there is the right type (can any1 confirm this?) Also the guy at supercheap was very very helpful and told me to pay $3 for a engine oil flush as it is necessary for each oil change, is he right?HE also stated it is extremely important especially if like what im doing im changing oils with different viscosities etc. Any help is greatly appreciated! Keep the good work up!

PS. I noticed after my last service my car is rather chattery (tappets were adjusted at the same service so its weird), but i think its just cause im noticing it more than i used to. Will a thicker oil make the engine a little less noisy?

Edit: I have been reading around and it seems 15w-50 would be too thick and heavy? Maybe a 10w-40 would be better? Who makes a good oil in this, I can return the pennzoil and pay more, it doesnt bother me, i just want a good oil!!!

Rexxy
17-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Guys,

I have always used the Oil that the car came with and that honda always use for the Services, the Honda R oil, i am not sure of much detail on the oil, have always called it "R oil", just curious if i should still stick with it, car is now at 91k and going good, but am thinking maybe as the engine gets older if i should get a heavier oil etc etc

Rexxy...