PDA

View Full Version : Ign ecu on carb civic died from water

TRB03
24-06-2006, 07:17 PM
It just stopped the other nite out of the blue. I first checked fuses and all other associated power wires, but all looked to be ok. i checked pulled apart the ecu in the pass kick panel. Because there was a lot of moisture there and looked to be inside the ecu( i think it is an ecu, cause it is a carb model engine, oh well whatever it is), I found it to have a what looked like corosion on the outer wall but not the board itself. So i turned the ignition on and the light came on for 1 sec and then off. I have read on this forum that this just means there is power there. I cranked it over and the light pulsed twice then went out. So at that point i thought the ecu is stuffed. I then read that the icm could be gone aswell so i checked that out. I didnt have a proper led testlight so i had to work with a normal tester and multimeter. I tested power in and out which was there and then the out put to the coil from the icm which both read + on ign. And if i had my LED tester i wouldve been able to see it better but the input on the right(closest to the front of the car) on the coil sought of pulsed the normal tester unlike the other input which just dulled a bit because of the cranking of the car. I really hope that was understandable. But while the rotor and cap were off i checked them both for wear. The rotor looked to be absulutely stuffed and had rust on the blade so i gave it a little rub with sand paper to clean it up. I also noticed thatthere was a huge build up of a white corrosion/residue on all 4 tags inside teh dizzy cap. I scrathed it off and it fell off in a chunk. I thought well this couldnt have helped the firing so cleaned it up and stuck them back on and cranked it over still no go. So i bought a new rotor and put it on since the gap was huge between the old rotor and dizzy cap. When i cranked over the car the red led on the ecu started pulsing with the crankin of teh motor. Seemeing to me that the ecu looked to be firing (I think), Which it wasnt doin before but there was still no go on the spark.
Im not to sure on how to test the coil I kinda do but dont really know if it the right method. And i will get an LED tester to double check the ICM and i will have a new cap by 2morro or teh next day whenever it comes in, either way they both needed to be changed( rotor and cap).

If any 1 has heard of this before please help me. Will be much appreciated. I dont really wanna start just chucking in parts and finding out it dont work. Im clued up on a lot of mechanics and i am a car audio and alarm installer/self taught autolec, but this has really got me stumped. Have been thinking of just ripping it out and going MSD ignition and crank angle sensor. Might be a cheaper way if the ICM and maybe ECU has to be changed.

ECU-MAN
25-06-2006, 01:04 AM
i recon your ecu still may be ok

try another ICM

TRB03
25-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey i just edited this thread so if any 1 that read this before please read again. Thanks in advance