PDA

View Full Version : Da9 Temperature Issue

Mr_will
25-06-2006, 02:19 AM
I have a da9 integra, stock, and as per the title, I'm having temp issues.

Normal urban stop start driving is fine, temp guage reads cold on startup, settles down to roughly 11 oclock after a few minutes of driving, and stays there nomatter whether im driving conservatively or having a good ol time.

However as soon as I get to any decent stretch of road, into 5th, cruising, temp drops in a big way, down to barely above the cold line. I would expect that due to the amount of air moving over the engine at that constant speed that the temp would drop a bit, but this is drop is almost 2inchs of needle travel which seems excessive to me.

Advice would be appreciated

90xsi
25-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open,

bennjamin
25-06-2006, 02:46 PM
thats my thought too. Replace your thermostat with a OEM new one.
BTW post teg questions in the teg forums next time :)

Spoon DA9R
25-06-2006, 02:49 PM
or u don't have a thoermostat at all..i took it out for my car..and thats wot happens

Mr_will
25-06-2006, 02:57 PM
thats my thought too. Replace your thermostat with a OEM new one.
BTW post teg questions in the teg forums next time :)

thanks for the advice guys, this was my first thought also.

bennjamin: sorry, wasnt quite sure, i figured cooling might relate to all hondas, but point taken :thumbsup:
your diy thermostat change is goona prove helpful too, cheers

Mr_will
25-06-2006, 03:04 PM
further to this, will the fact that its running at below-normal temp on the highway/freeway mean i should drive under these circumstances as though its not warmed up?
i'm not keen to do any damage before i get it fixed

1900-hustler
25-06-2006, 03:07 PM
sounds like my car aswel.. but this only happens wen its like hella cold outside..

does it happen all the time on open stretch.. or jus at night...

i dont think itll have any problems say if u have been driving and the temp goes down .. cos ur engine is stil warmed up.. but vtec may not engage..

bennjamin
25-06-2006, 03:10 PM
since you are running on highway speeds etc ~ the cooling is increased (extra air = extra cooling) and since the thermo is stuck open , there is colder coolant being circulated throughout the engine and thus sensors. Thats basically why the gauge runs at a lower tempreture.

Mr_will
25-06-2006, 03:29 PM
am going to replace the thermostat in a week or so, and have noticed that my service manual says to use new o-rings when doing so. does anyone know if these come with the new honda thermostat? im going to stick with oem for peace of mind.

LO_N_SXC
25-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Yep u need a new thermo and I'd get one soon too if I were you!

Mr_will
25-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Yep u need a new thermo and I'd get one soon too if I were you!

:eek: i was under the impression it was no huge deal, as in obviously i will do it as soon as is practical, but considering its stuck open, rather than stuck closed, is it really likely to cause harm in the mean time?

Mr_will
26-06-2006, 01:05 PM
called honda today, they have quoted $60 for a new thermostat, or $160 installed, and if i want the coolant changed that will be an additional $70, so $230 all up.

gonna try and do it myself to save teh monies.

90xsi
26-06-2006, 01:22 PM
just make sure you bleed all the air out when you change it
over, and it will all be good :D

pretty easy job.
good luck