PDA

View Full Version : Removing Decal/Graphics etc.

LEVIN GTV
25-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Hey guys,

I have a gold strip going along the side of my car, and i need to remove it.

What is the best method of doing so?

Im just worried that i will remove it and some paint will peal of with it...

One method ive heard is the hair dryer:
- as it is on my car, would this ruin the paint?

What is the best way of doing this without ruining my car?

PS> I have no a search, but havent really had much sucess.

Cheers

nugget666
25-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Well. the method i would us is soak it with lots of water.

then slowly peel it up.

if that dosnt work i would resort to the hair dryer.

then get a bottle of big kevs goo remover.

LEVIN GTV
25-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah but how do i soak it when its on the car? give it a good wash...let it soak with warm water then attempt to peel?

Have attempted to peel, but no good when dry...

nugget666
25-06-2006, 02:30 PM
get a buck of warm/hot water. and a sponge and just rub it accors it for a good 5 minutes then give it a go.

canook
25-06-2006, 02:45 PM
leave the car on the sun for a while before hand so the glue on the pinstripes goes soft, once you have them off a bit of fine polish should clean the leftover glue residue off

dsp26
25-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Big Kevs Goo remover.

Its concentrated lemon juice (citric acid) which doesn't damage your paint. it gets absorbed by plastic/stickers eventually to soften them but its better at actually removing the residue.

peel the decals however way you can.... hairdryer technique works most of the time

LEVIN GTV
26-06-2006, 12:04 AM
so if i apply the "goo remover" this will make it easier to peel off? or is it just for after i remove the sticker to remove all the residue?

cheers guys!

dsp26
26-06-2006, 10:37 AM
its primarily for residue. however it does soften plastics. i had it leak one time and it dissolved the ink on the containers plastic sticker as well as made it wrinkely enough to peel by itself. i've tested it on paint on a door i bought of the wreckers for practicing painting and it didn't peel paint. i applied it daily every night for a week. however i'm sure there are better dedicated ones out there though this is truelly the only one i've come across

if you have NFS and F&F style decals that go across the whole car don't bother... it only comes in i think a 300ml bottle for like $6 :D i'm pretty sure i bought mine at woolies/ i used it to get rid of stickers on the window as well as dry crumbly factory 3M double sided tape that holds the spoiler... twas 13yrs old hehehe

LEVIN GTV
30-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Yeah i tried it with just the goo remover and no luck....

got some other crap off (ie. old sticky shit) but the decal was no luck.

Hairdryer....not sure, dont want to burn my paint.

Anyone have any other ideas? Im spent?

jdm_kid
30-06-2006, 12:01 PM
hair dyer man ... or hot gun !
its the only way ... i used this method to get my stickers off

heat it up .. start peeling it off, use glue remover, then wipe it with water, then dry it, after that start waxing / polishing the car ... DONE !

cuongn
30-06-2006, 12:40 PM
the best thing to do is use a hair dryer, and peal slowly then wax it after, use ur hands or, get a mechine buffer

NeRV
30-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Like everyone said, just park your car into your garage or something, hook up the hair dryer, blast the sticker and peal slowly... when the stickers are all off... you'll most likely have some sticky residue left on the paint, just grab some Eucalyptus oil... get a cotton bud, and dab it onto the on the paint where the sticky residue is.... it will come off right away and wont damage your paint... but just make sure you get a clean cloth and wipe the excess Eucalyptus oil off... and your done :)

kit927
30-06-2006, 08:37 PM
At work we use heat gun at around 120-150 degrees for a
few minutes depending on how big the piece if vinyl is...
and then peel it slowly and hold the peeled piece close to
the car so that it doesnt ripe off...
if it starts to stick again the heat it again until u have taken
the whole piece of vinyl off...
i do that to cars with whole car graphics at work could give it
a try...

KIT

LEVIN GTV
01-07-2006, 12:25 AM
got the hair dryer out late this afternoon. man it took a while, but i got a little bit done...one side.

Seems like the best way. Big Kev's goo remover has now run out, and they dont stock that anymore....Ill go with the ecualyptus oil!

THanks for the help guys!

nugget666
01-07-2006, 12:31 AM
try a product called orange i think it is.

it works just as good and big kevs goo remover. smells nicer to :P

LEVIN GTV
01-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Damn....that orange stuff smells sooo strong. Ive used that plenty of times, cant get the smell out for days!

Cheers though ;)

h22a accord
01-07-2006, 07:01 AM
hair dyer man ... or hot gun !
its the only way ... i used this method to get my stickers off

heat it up .. start peeling it off, use glue remover, then wipe it with water, then dry it, after that start waxing / polishing the car ... DONE !

jdm_kid is spot on the money. a painters heat gun will heat the decals up enough so they can be peeled off easily.

Ad for removing the glue reside i can tell you waht to use but i need to know what model and year of your car and the colour. As some goo removers are safe on some paints but not for others.

We offer this service to our customers and even though i have had lots of practice it can be one of the worst jobs ever if the stickers and glue are of cheap quality or they have been on there for an eternity.