PDA

View Full Version : Protection Light

Eclipsor
25-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Ok so I tried selling my 4 channel Jaycar response AA-0435. The amp worked fine when I was using it with a pioneer sub of some sort and jaycar 6.5" splits.

I sold it to a guy locally and he messages me the next day saying it has issues. So he brings it round today and says that when he turns the hu volume up past a certain point the protection light comes on and/or one of the channels cuts out. He was using it with two Hertz 12" subs of some sort. Can try and find out model numbers if this is required.

My question is, was he just expecting too much from the amp or is there likely to be something wrong with it? I installed it back in my car and turned it up as loud as I could stand and it worked fine. Just wondering if I would be safe trying to sell it again.

|N|
25-06-2006, 06:40 PM
respect for u to make sure things work perfectly fine b4 u re-sell again .. this is wat everyone should do ...

SPL77Civic
25-06-2006, 07:08 PM
did he see that it worked in ur car?

If so I wouldn't have taken it back as it is then a case of poor installation on his part, namely his earth.

mugeneration
25-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Bad earth, or too much gain and too much volume trying to be run through it.

Eclipsor
25-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I only had it hooked up to one channel. Otherwise yes I may not have taken it back. Anyway, whats done is done.

So you wouldn't be surprised if the 4x100w amp couldn't power his subs to whatever earth shattering volume he was after?

CRXer
25-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Tell him to get someone who knows what they are doing to wire them up for him......

Eclipsor
25-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Not really an option.

Thanks for the responses guys.

So assuming it could have been his installation, too much gain etc... Is there any tests anyone can recommend me doing to put my mind at ease about reselling it? Apart from simply hooking it up like I did.

SPL77Civic
25-06-2006, 07:48 PM
There is no better way than to just hook it up, test all the channels independantly and in bridged mode.

mugeneration
25-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Well if youre trying to run a sub, best done bridging the channels in order to get the best power goin. But 4x100 W isnt really THAT much, for running a sub anyway. Good sound systems use WAY more power than that to power the subs.

Eclipsor
25-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Ok thanks a heap for all the responses guys.

Mattski_VTIR
26-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Could be that he's over loading the amp with his sub configuration. He could very well be running the amp at 2 ohm Bridge which could exceed its running impedance. Find out how he has it wired and the voice coil configuration of his subs. Rewiring the subs to load at 4 ohm may fix the problem, just a suggestion.

89civic
27-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Could be that he's over loading the amp with his sub configuration. He could very well be running the amp at 2 ohm Bridge which could exceed its running impedance. Find out how he has it wired and the voice coil configuration of his subs. Rewiring the subs to load at 4 ohm may fix the problem, just a suggestion.
thats what i would have said:) could possibly be over loading the amp also, amps power might be to small to run 2 12"

Slow96GSR
28-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Overloads/use creats heat... is there heat protection on that amp?

ToFuBoi
29-06-2006, 01:27 PM
yeh the ohm thing would be the problem.. tell the guy to rewire his sub to 4ohm and it should run stable.. if you duno how to do this google "4ohm sub wiring" and there should be a JL audio site with pics

BRU51N
09-07-2006, 02:21 PM
i would say its overloading, the amp is overheating and cutting out.

trying to push to much out of the amp (eg. max gains etc)