PDA

View Full Version : [B]DIY body/sound deadening

FRANKENcivic
26-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

These are my impretions after using spray on tar for my civic... I used it about 2 mths ago throughout the bottom of my car, sprayed various cotes, specially under the boot and wheel sells/arches. Cant remember the name of the cans i used but i used roughly x8 500mg cans for this DIY. Bought these cans at Repco roughly $12.95 each (made in the USA). To my amazement IT has WORKED great!!! I was about to buy some packs of dynamat and decided to go with this VERY cheapo option 1st.. I can t be more happy with results and would recommed this DIY to anyone.........Car ride is quiter, body is tighter, sound from my woofer in the boot is better.. Having rust protection is a TOTAL BONUS also as these cans are designed to rust proof your ride at the same time and deaden the body....AWESOME.!!! The only section i sprayed inside the cabin was inside the boot, the section covered by the carpet material on either side of the boot walls and rear wheel arches.

NOTE: When spraying, use even straight flowing strokes, making sure coat is even throughout the desired area..

Step 1. Clean thoughroughly section you wish to spray. (Take your time to do a good job).

I used a soft stile metal brush as i was tackling the underbody of my car. Worked like a charm!!

Step 2. Dry completely. I preffer air dry, so go a for a quick spin around the block, NOTE: make sure you dont drive over dirty surfaces as you will only have to repeat 1st step when you get back:wave:

Step 3. Shake can profusely, NOTE this is XTREMELY important you do well. take your time shaking the can (for ages!!!!!) make sure the product that comes out of the can is of sticky substance not too liquidy.. This step will determine how well the product will stick to your car so make sure you have shook the can enuff.

Step 4. Choose wisely the sections you wish to coat some areas are more imoprtant than others to reduce road noise. DO NOT spray brake lines/parts or any other moving parts around the area you are coating.

Step 5. Wait for 1st coat to dry well.. say 1 hour or so???

Step 6. Re- coat. I did roughly 3-4 coats for areas that needed closer attention.

RESULTS... :

Car ride is quiter, body is tighter, less rattles and road noise, also sound from my woofer in the boot is better.

Before you purchase expensive sound deadening matetrial, try this trick.. I was amazed of results and im sure the next person to do this DIY well, will be impressed also..

SiReal
26-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Good write up dude. Good to see it worked. So it sprays on clear does it? Like an clear gloss acrylic coat?

ECU-MAN
26-06-2006, 10:08 PM
pretty cool DIY. I had to do this once with the paint on stuff.

wanst fun

how long before you can drive your car after applying this stuff ???

EK4R
26-06-2006, 11:48 PM
got a pic of the under the car where you painted? :)

FRANKENcivic
27-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Good write up dude. Good to see it worked. So it sprays on clear does it? Like an clear gloss acrylic coat?
Thanks SiReal, always keen to pass new tricks i find :thumbsup: to fellow :honda: lovers!
The spray is BLACK,so it changed the whole look of the underbody. My civic's underbody is the same as the duco, except instead or smooth finish it is rough. Pretty sure most hondas are the same.. The underbody now looks nice and dark:eek: . To my taste, i think it looks better now.

FRANKENcivic
27-06-2006, 06:47 PM
pretty cool DIY. I had to do this once with the paint on stuff.

wanst fun

how long before you can drive your car after applying this stuff ???
Thanks ECU-MAN, anytime for da honda crew hehe.. Yeh i've heard the brush on stuff is tricky to use, but layers are actually thicker with it if used properly.. I drove out 4 da well deserved test drive :cool: , say 1hr after last coat.

FRANKENcivic
27-06-2006, 07:33 PM
got a pic of the under the car where you painted? :)
Sorry EK4R, im sick of the BS rules for uploading images here... Trust me if i was able to, i would have made a much better DIY with the detailed pics of the process and all... The look is OEM except its darker and "rubberised"

EK4R
27-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Sorry EK4R, im sick of the BS rules for uploading images here... Trust me if i was able to, i would have made a much better DIY with the detailed pics of the process and all... The look is OEM except its darker and "rubberised"

cant sent pic to my email? :)
angelicpiercing@hotmail.com if you can, if not no worries :thumbsup:
use MS Paint and circle the places you painted
ah damn cos this sounds awesome idea, i wanna do this to my car.
you just use normal black paint with a matt finish ??

Ru$kI
30-06-2006, 03:35 PM
ey man,

Im thinking about doing this as well to my sedan....i wanna spray the stuff on the metal underneath the rear plastic trim behind the back seats.

I also wanna do it to the boot...but im unsure of which spots to tackle...do i spray the actual inside of the boot lid? or do i spray the inner side of the rear quarter panels...which are covered by the carpeting???

FRANKENcivic
07-07-2006, 12:53 PM
ey man,

Im thinking about doing this as well to my sedan....i wanna spray the stuff on the metal underneath the rear plastic trim behind the back seats.

I also wanna do it to the boot...but im unsure of which spots to tackle...do i spray the actual inside of the boot lid? or do i spray the inner side of the rear quarter panels...which are covered by the carpeting???

Hey Mate,
yeh i would suggest to spray the section covered with carpet like material, just be careful not to break those plastic clips ( i broke a few, but all sorted now , lol) Not sure how the top section behind the back seats would turn out, just make sure you are in a open and breezy spot and make sure you leave your boot and doors open cause that TAR smell can get kinda yuck if you leave your car shut!! Let me know how you go with this top section , might do the same!!:thumbsup:

kimo
07-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Me too can you send it to me, and would be very thankful:

kbukres@yahoo.com

cant sent pic to my email? :)
angelicpiercing@hotmail.com if you can, if not no worries :thumbsup:
use MS Paint and circle the places you painted
ah damn cos this sounds awesome idea, i wanna do this to my car.
you just use normal black paint with a matt finish ??

Bayani
25-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Well I definatly going down this route when deadeing my car.

Bayani
25-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Is this Spray-on using a can, or Spray Equipment?

FRANKENcivic
25-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Is this Spray-on using a can, or Spray Equipment?

Just off the can as sold form the shops.. Although using proper spray equipment would make the job more professional i think?? IMO and other mates i've shown , the way it turn out in my car (using the can) the result has been pretty damn good :thumbsup:

taizon
02-08-2006, 09:46 AM
sounds like a good DIY.. this would be good for those with DC2R's that hates the road noise

kimo
02-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Will this also help to prevent heat transfer.

Redteg
03-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Good post!

This stuff works well, can be a bit messy to clean off if you get overspray though (tar).

If you try this (or any spray-can paint work) try putting the can into a tub or basin of hot water, and then shake it up. I have been told it increases pressure in the can, resulting in a better result. The paint seems to adhere better and comes out more evenly.

FRANKENcivic
03-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Good post!

This stuff works well, can be a bit messy to clean off if you get overspray though (tar).

If you try this (or any spray-can paint work) try putting the can into a tub or basin of hot water, and then shake it up. I have been told it increases pressure in the can, resulting in a better result. The paint seems to adhere better and comes out more evenly.
Hey thanks for the handy tip, have you done the same to your ride.?

taizon
03-08-2006, 11:40 PM
hey, it is possible for u to post up some pics of ur DIY?

would like to see the outcome of it

FRANKENcivic
04-08-2006, 12:21 PM
hey, it is possible for u to post up some pics of ur DIY?

would like to see the outcome of it
I'll try to buddy :thumbsup:

punjabiz
04-08-2006, 04:15 PM
hey dude!! sounds like a great idea.. need that for rear of my car... subs shake off everything!!!... i went to super cheap auto.. they said they never heard of such a thing... could u tell me the brand name or name of the spray that u used dude??
cheers mate thanks

FRANKENcivic
07-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeh some of the reps at super cheap are USELESS.. From what i remeber the brand was SEPTONE of something similar.. They had x2 brands at super cheap when i went to buy the cans so next time make them search tehir database maybe that particular store ran out, if so ask em to search other store's inventory.
Hope this helps ya buddy

DomenEK
07-08-2006, 04:17 PM
The stuff I used is called Septone Spray on Body Deadener. I got it from Repco for around about $8.