PDA

View Full Version : Are smoked lights illegal?

JaCe
26-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Just wondering if it's illegal to have darkened tail lights in Australia?

Planning to get something like this for my Civic;
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3401/14999rf.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=14999rf.jpg) http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3359/db276ly.th.jpg (http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=db276ly.jpg)

Dylanamus
26-06-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm wondering the same. They look pretty cool!

JaCe
26-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I've seen similar to this on a black Territory (Ford) before and it looks so awesome because the tail lights blend in with the rest of the car- reminded me of something like US Secret Service SUVs!

Limbo
26-06-2006, 08:42 PM
yes anything that reduces the indicators or headlights are actually illegal. But depends on how pissed off the cops are and how far they wanna take it. Usually if its only a light bit then they just ignore you unless you've somehow attracted their attention and they have nothing else to book you on. Its a technicality

dsp26
26-06-2006, 08:52 PM
^^^exactly as Limbo said.
though the whole cops being selective shit does piss me off. i've come to the conclusion that anything with a loud exhaust is a "hoon" car.

anyways i've actually had a mate defected (though not major) for the tints but he's done it really dark. i'm fairly confident that you can get away with one or two layers depedning on how you do it. um... its not fun getting rid of it...

JaCe
26-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Was your mate's one as dark as the one in the picture?

dsp26
26-06-2006, 09:11 PM
um actually... no. that actually looks pretty cool on clear lights.

as with most old cars that don't have the luxury of alteza's when using that on the standard red colour it can kinda go near black but still reddish.

that actually looks fine though i'd make it a tad lighter.... but then again i'm also not the law...

Zdster
26-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Speak with 'vtec_jet' about the laws in Victoria as he might be able to provide you with more info.

Fo55il
27-06-2006, 05:54 AM
from my experience it depends on the cops mood - i been canaried a few times - once they ignored d lights other time they dicked me . but they are illegal btw !

Tobster
27-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Of course, if you ever get rear-ended then you can still be deemed at fault (even though normally it's the other way around) because it's easy for the other car to argue that they couldn't see your brake lights -- which, after all is the whole reason we have them.

As cool as they might look, anything that reduces headlight or tail-light visibility is a stupid idea IMO.

zorrt
27-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Pretty sure they are illegal.

Fr3aKi3
27-06-2006, 10:57 AM
On the can of VHT Nightshades (transparent black paint, used for smoking lights) it actually states:

"For Off-Road Use Only"

That and the guy that sold it to me also said that it's illegal to use it on cars which are driven on the road, so i'd say that it's illegal. Reasons would include obstruction of the brake lights and also the reflectors won't actually work.

blk_shadow
27-06-2006, 12:06 PM
if you really2 want it, then spray only the red part, and leave the indis and reverse light as original.

czy_sol87
27-06-2006, 12:12 PM
yep there illegal, solo's 'vtec_jet' been done for them

vtec_jet
27-06-2006, 06:28 PM
u wana noe if they are legal ??

dusnt matter how light or dark you do it ... its ILLEGAL!

how do i noe ? i got defected for it :) annddd according to the tougher laws in place IF anyone is caught with this "mod" in place ur car is written as unroadworthy with a 400-500 fine ... so i dont recommend it ! attracts too much attention as well and if you have any other illegal mods the police will have a DEFINITE reason to pull you over....

vtec_jet
27-06-2006, 06:29 PM
u wana noe if they are legal ??

dusnt matter how light or dark you do it ... its ILLEGAL!

how do i noe ? i got defected for it :) annddd according to the tougher laws in place IF anyone is caught with this "mod" in place ur car is written as unroadworthy with a 400-500 fine ... so i dont recommend it ! attracts too much attention as well and if you have any other illegal mods the police will have a DEFINITE reason to pull you over....

JaCe
27-06-2006, 09:44 PM
This is so depressing. But what about those people who buy tail light modules which have darkened colours naturally? They don't count as illegal modifications do they?