PDA

View Full Version : CRV build info......

Pogi
27-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Taken from edmunds...thought it might be useful for curious people here

This is a question that comes up every now and then. The VIN (vehicle identification number) is assigned my the manufacturer. CR-V VINs are 17 characters long. Each character means something and the whole number contains quite a bit of information... if you know how to read it.

The first character is the manufacturing country of origin. This is where your CR-V was built.

S = England
J = Japan

The second character identifies the manufacturer. With a CR-V, this should always be an H for Honda.

The third character is vehicle type. CR-Vs are type L, which is for multipurpose passenger vehicles.

Characters four through six describe the drivetrain configuration.

RD2 = 2.0L 2WD (UK model)
RD1 = 2.0L w/ RT4WD (UK model)
RD6 = 2.4L 2WD
RD7 = 2.4L w/ RT4WD

Character seven specifies the body configuration and transmission.

7 = Four doors and manual transmission
8 = Four doors and automatic transmission

Character eight is the trim designation or "engine grade". I've gotten some unclear information on CR-Vs that I have yet to explain.

4 = LX without ABS
5 = LX with ABS (not available in the states)
6 = EX
7 = SE
8 = EX (This is the unclear part. I haven't figured out the difference between 6 and 8.)

Character 9 is an internal code issued by the manufacturer. It's called the VIN check digit.

Character 10 is the model year.

V = 1997
W = 1998
X = 1999
Y = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002

The eleventh character is the factory where it was assembled. In theory, there could be two factories within the same country, so this is not redundant with the first character.

C = Sayama, Japan
U = Swindon, U.K.

Characters 12 through 17 are a sequential production number, which identify the specific car.