PDA

View Full Version : eg or ek??

SoundStreamer
07-05-2004, 08:02 PM
the itr is finally gone. now im looking at a couple of options..

1)eg si...turn it into a handling beast with minimal performance mods, maybe I/H/E....possibly cams and ems.

2)ek4...standard...maybe a few handling mods

how would these 2 rides compare?

what would you buy?

what would the performance differences be. i love the eg but if the ek4 will shit on the eg even after a few mods why not go ek4?

can anyone give me any opinions that is pro's and con's of both cars? anyone know standard weight difference? and standard 0-100 times and 400m sprint times?

any input will be greatly appreciated!
TIA,
Ron

joneblaze
07-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Civic Si
Released: 1991-1993
Engine: 1.6L DOHC 16 valve 96kW@6,800rpm (cutout 7,200).
Weight: Sedan = 1,052kg / Hatch = 1,016Kg
Brakes: 4 wheel disc brakes.
Features: Power windows & mirrors standard
Models: 4 door sedan / 2 door hatch.

Civic VTiR EK4:
Engine: 1.6 DOHC VTEC 118kw

Ronnie you know you want the EG bro.... (Where are Yonas and Bren when you need them...:roll:)
Hehe...bet you're missing the dc2r right about now..... ;)
You've already had the "VTEC experience", why not play with some non-VTEC DOHC while u save for later?
Here's some food for thought ;)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTcwOTQ2czQxM2RmZDMxeTU0MQ%3D%3D
http://www.mobworks.com/images/eg_1b_JPG.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTU4MTE4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

MrPlow
07-05-2004, 09:05 PM
EK all the way! :D

McChook
07-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Depends on what you want and what you need really - if you are often alone, and want outight performance, EG is best option - cheaper, lighter, smaller... If you have passengers, want some comfort, go EK

SoundStreamer
07-05-2004, 09:34 PM
lol thanks johny...yeah missing her badly....you shouldve come out the other night and taken some photos for me!

i know the specs, after specific standard times like 0-100km/h and 0-400m.
what i want is a RELIABLE handling beast for about 3-4 years. how responsive is the d16a? im weighing up my options, that is will a slightly modded eg keep up with stock ek4.

also what colours did si come in? white, red, silver, anything else?

passanger comfort hahahah stuff that! Reliable is very very important.

Mitch M
07-05-2004, 10:03 PM
EG Si Sedan if you want the handling

the sedan has a longer wheel base to cope a bit better with the twisties IMO

VTEC16
07-05-2004, 10:43 PM
I love my car more than anything (except maybe my gf, cat, parents and brother - not neccarily in that order). Go for a spin in an EK4....

saboteur
07-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Civic Si

I always thought the Si was single cam or does it just have the same output as the VTi?

Cheers,
Tim

geo41e
07-05-2004, 11:15 PM
go for the EG if u really like the look of it..
however if u wanna have more power..go for the EK

if i hads the money..l'd go for the vtir coz l jus want more balls
hehe

however..l love my EG5 si

wanna buy it?
lols

luzinit
07-05-2004, 11:16 PM
also, theres a fair bit of a difference in price as well!
i'd say a lightly modded eg can keep up with an ek4, ask ben ;p (doma. im gonna chop ur ass next time fukin ! hahha.)

mo
07-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Civic Si

I always thought the Si was single cam or does it just have the same output as the VTi?

Cheers,
Tim

Si = DOHC NON-VTEC = 96kw
VTi = SOHC VTEC = 96kw

But the Si pulls much harder :twisted:

SoundStreamer
08-05-2004, 12:07 AM
wouldnt a hatch handle better than a sedan? i thought shorter wheelbase better for windies and stuff?

i like the ek4 for legendary b16a. its also slightly newer

but i like the looks of the eg hatch.

keep the opinions coming!

A'PEXi
08-05-2004, 02:29 AM
ek4, newer car, more powa, better handling :D

SoundStreamer
08-05-2004, 12:39 PM
yeah i know good package but the looks of an ek...not my kinda thing...no offense to the ek drivers!

[[d a n n y]]
08-05-2004, 12:44 PM
go the EG...

EG rulz yo..

my car can eat ek4s alive... :D

EG Si is a great lil car...

i'd say EG rather than EK

EG looks much better than EK

VTEC16
08-05-2004, 12:52 PM
]]EG looks much better than EK

A nice objective comment there ;)

[[d a n n y]]
08-05-2004, 12:54 PM
]]EG looks much better than EK

A nice objective comment there ;)

ok then sorry SIR.. :oops:

i think the EG looks better than EK :D

MrPlow
08-05-2004, 12:57 PM
EG = Poor man's EK

Buy the time you get a EG to beat a EK VTi-R, your going to have to spend the same amount of money if not more then to buy the stock EK, so why not go all out and buy the EK, then slowly mod that to your liking?

Thats just the way i see it! Sorry if im being biased!

[[d a n n y]]
08-05-2004, 12:59 PM
EG = Poor man's EK

Buy the time you get a EG to beat a EK VTi-R, your going to have to spend the same amount of money if not more then to buy the stock EK, so why not go all out and buy the EK, then slowly mod that to your liking?

shut up EK BOY :P

well if u really want the vtec u can alwayz do a conversion.. :D

kimbi
08-05-2004, 01:02 PM
ooh get an EK.. they look way sportier and all the cool people drive them!!

EGs are too old :P the only thing that i like about them is the way the boot opens.

;) EK!!!

bennjamin
08-05-2004, 01:22 PM
EG = Poor man's EK

*tries to resent comment like a bitch...but just isnt a bitchy man at MR plow :P*

EK = mums car borrowed on weekends :)

I agree to disagree with you there champ - by the time i got a EG si to beat a vtir ek4....i took out the rear seat and that was it :roll: . . . .and the next 6 or so times i "beat" ek4s the same rule applies. So ?
Get an Si for $6 or 7k....or get a EK4 for about $13 or 14 k.

Put that extra $5k into ur lil eg and i can say that more than likely u will be beating Type R's let alone EK4s :) ( Turbo OR na)
And...the mighty EG is such a classic shape....the EK will disappear into nothingness like every kia , astra and mondeo around it :roll:

wait wait wait....each to his own 8)

Well......remember....14.7 la on stock internal :)

SoundStreamer
08-05-2004, 02:45 PM
hmmmm eg si without rear seat=ek4 beater? im down for that. the ek just doesnt appeal to me but seem you guys love the b16a. im not planning any conversion unless i find a car with it already done.

5g to beat type r? im also down for that...originally wanted something that would handle as good as my itr...but if i can beat it...defineately down!

14.7? stock internals? what mods? besides backseat :)?

now just gotta find a good condition low k's eg si....anyone??

MrPlow
08-05-2004, 03:05 PM
You took the rear seat out and you beat a ek4 vti-r?

Just imagine if the ek had the rear seat removed!

I agree its a more classic shape, only cause there more of them! for handling and suspension, after the type r.... definatly the ek4 vti-r!

Nuttz
08-05-2004, 03:26 PM
think about this soundstream,

the dc2r suspension can fit into an EG
the motor can fit into an EG
the interior can fit into an EG

therefore the EG is a DC2R :)

ps. im not bias at all :D

MrPlow
08-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Hmmm i wonder why they never made a EG-R then...

maybe only the EK was worthy of the R! :P

mo
08-05-2004, 03:52 PM
SoundStreamer, I really do hope you don't base your decision on this thread! Lol they are all biased comments.

bennjamin
08-05-2004, 03:54 PM

I was pushing " driver abilty " champ...not "peak power".....*sigh*
Ek4s can be fast - but so can Si in the right hands :)

The "eg-R" was a SiR II....b16a powered + blah blah blah....a nice weapon engine tho ;) Ask Danny ehhehehehe.

Anyway- back on topic....

[[d a n n y]]
08-05-2004, 04:36 PM

I was pushing " driver abilty " champ...not "peak power".....*sigh*
Ek4s can be fast - but so can Si in the right hands :)

The "eg-R" was a SiR II....b16a powered + blah blah blah....a nice weapon engine tho ;) Ask Danny ehhehehehe.

Anyway- back on topic.... :thumbsup:

eknine
08-05-2004, 04:51 PM
EG or Ek ....sigh...endless!!! ;)

VTEC16
08-05-2004, 04:59 PM
If EG was better than EK, they never would have released the EK.

[[d a n n y]]
08-05-2004, 05:12 PM

it's not fair to compare a 92-95 model to a 95-01 model..

EG is more than 10years old.

ofcourse in that period of time honda has refined the civic and brought out the EK

eventhough the interior of the EK is better than the EG
overall the EG is a winner :P

mo
08-05-2004, 05:12 PM

So are you saying the new civic we have are better than the EK? :P

VTEC16
08-05-2004, 05:19 PM

*VTEC16 is crushed into a ball of shame*

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

mo
08-05-2004, 05:34 PM

*VTEC16 is crushed into a ball of shame*

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hehe it's alright mate :)

But basically...I reckon IMHO your options should be either the EG Si or the EK VTI-R

Probably the best one out of each generation.
For choosing which one. I suggest you take each one for a test drive and see how you like it. Is the interior what you like (set a standard) ? But I guess interior wise, the EK should win hands down considering it is from a newer civic generation 8)

fusion_VTi
08-05-2004, 05:43 PM
why does everyone love EG Si so bad? it doesnt even have vtec nor sunroof nor the other lil perks of the vti. maybe i shoulda got an Si which sells for 1/2 the price silly me! ..no chance :P

mo
08-05-2004, 05:45 PM
why does everyone have a boner for EG Si so bad? it doesnt even have vtec nor sunroof nor the other lil perks of the vti. maybe i shoulda got an Si which sells for 1/2 the price silly me! ..no chance :P

Why do you want VTEC badly? Lol Narrow minded boy ;) (jokes lol incase you cry)

What other perks of VTi would you want? That is basically on a person to person basis. Person A might like a sunroof but Person B may not like a sunroof. Again it comes down to personal liking.

[[d a n n y]]
08-05-2004, 05:49 PM
why does everyone have a boner for EG Si so bad? it doesnt even have vtec nor sunroof nor the other lil perks of the vti. maybe i shoulda got an Si which sells for 1/2 the price silly me! ..no chance :P

What other perks of VTi would you want? That is basically on a person to person basis. Person A might like a sunroof but Person B may not like a sunroof. Again it comes down to personal liking.

well i'll rather take a dohc over a sohc anyday..one of the main reasons

fusion_VTi
08-05-2004, 05:50 PM

i got nothing against Si but i just dont see why vti never gets a mention. also if i had a chance 2 identical cars one with sunroof one without i can gurantee the one with the sunroof is my choice! also why do i want vtec badly firstly because its farkin cool and again if it was vtec or non vtec i'd take the vtec anyday just like i did :D

mo
08-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Lol
SOHC VTEC vs DOHC NON-VTEC... *Awaits Bren for backup*

I'd rather take the DOHC NON-VTEC anyday. But that is just me :)
Sunroof wise. It doesn't bother me but if the Si came with one then great.

bennjamin
08-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Lol

*sigh*

In the real world...a DOHC vehicle seems to always whip a SOHC vehicle of the same spec (ie si vs vti)....JUST becuase it has "VEE TEKK" dosent mean its hot lol...and by 3 car lengths golly it must be a flaw lol.

*gets down off confidence chair*

Well - the reason the topic has been brought up about "ek4 vs Si" is because i thought we have started to compare the "top models" of both eras. Vti has options...clean little car....but not really that quick.

stock vs stock....same driver...same varibles..........
VTiR will win hands down.

Next.... :roll:

mo
08-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Lol

*sigh*

In the real world...a DOHC vehicle seems to always whip a SOHC vehicle of the same spec (ie si vs vti)....JUST becuase it has "VEE TEKK" dosent mean its hot lol...and by 3 car lengths golly it must be a flaw lol.

*gets down off confidence chair*

Well - the reason the topic has been brought up about "ek4 vs Si" is because i thought we have started to compare the "top models" of both eras. Vti has options...clean little car....but not really that quick.

stock vs stock....same driver...same varibles..........
VTiR will win hands down.

Next.... :roll:

Thank you! :)

Mitch M
08-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Si is god ... full stop :twisted:

hahahaha

well mines a real mover right now :( stupid thing blew up :x

[[d a n n y]]
08-05-2004, 09:38 PM
oh well..what can i say...

SoundStreamer
09-05-2004, 02:20 AM
i dont want a SOHC vtec....sunroof i like, black i like, engine no thanks, i would prefer dohc non vtec.

im pretty set on the eg si now....ek4 good but body doesnt appeal to me...if i got an ek4 i would keep it standard....if i was to spend $ on the ek4 i wouldve just kept my itr....

ive decided to downgrade seems like eg si decent car for low price.....few sussy mods....few bolt ons with stock internals...lol 15.1 and il be cheering :)...

thanks for the help guys but keep this thread going if you feel the need....im always down to hear others opinions...

actually one last question...stock vs stock round corners a hatch should out handle a sedan right?

mo
09-05-2004, 09:47 AM
ive decided to downgrade seems like eg si decent car for low price.....few sussy mods....few bolt ons with stock internals...lol 15.1 and il be cheering :)...

:thumbsup: