PDA

View Full Version : sick of hot-wiring my car!

tinkerbell
28-06-2006, 04:32 PM
sometimes when i try to start my car (1998 DC2), i turn the key and nothing happens except the warning lights coming on and the check engine light illuminating for 2eseconds...

i also hear the fuel pump prime.

i turn the key to start but nothing happens (except everything being killed - which is normal...)

other times it will start fine,

and other times i have to start it by hot-wiring the starter motor to the battery...

so is it the starter morot or the key barrel contacts or something else?

Spunkymonkey
28-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Hey tinks..I know this may sound silly...but have you tried turning your key over to the other side? I think one of my key edges is a bit worn, as it seems to work better on the other side and sometimes does this... but never had to hot wire though!

tinkerbell
28-06-2006, 04:57 PM
any silly ideas welcome!

i will give it a go next time...

Spunkymonkey
28-06-2006, 04:59 PM
cool! let us know how you go! and yes, it also could be the starter motor beginning to go! (already replaced mine) only other suggestion - if you have any immobilisers that aren't working properly and not registering hence why you can't start it

tinkerbell
28-06-2006, 05:06 PM
but it starts via a hot-wire first time, everytime...

tinkerbell
28-06-2006, 05:10 PM
but it starts via a hot-wire first time, everytime...

fatboyz39
28-06-2006, 05:18 PM
maybe a loose signal cable going to the starter motor

destrukshn
28-06-2006, 05:26 PM
sounds like it could be a faulty ignition switch.
if it is, piss easy to replace.
=p
lol.

fatboyz39
28-06-2006, 05:27 PM
double post ..oppz

EGB16A
28-06-2006, 06:09 PM
possibly the main relay??

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31796

tinkerbell
28-06-2006, 06:12 PM
sounds like it could be a faulty ignition switch.
if it is, piss easy to replace.
=p
lol.

LOL! yes, yes it is, i will pull it out now and inspect :thumbsup:

thanks for the tip :)

destrukshn
28-06-2006, 06:18 PM
lol, no probbers, had the same probber with my car.
lol.

tinkerbell
28-06-2006, 07:30 PM
doh! the alarm guy who wired my car cut into the ignition harness, so have to rewire the alarm to replace it...

a few more test i can do to be sure it is it, but need more day light...

destrukshn
28-06-2006, 07:33 PM
yeah but when he cut into it, it's only like 3 wires.
very easy.
=)
the crank wire/starter motor is the white one i'm pretty sure, put a test light on it, and then, just quickly crank your car, and see if there is current running thought it, won't take long to test it.

CRXer
28-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Do you have to push clutch in before you can start car?(assuming manual)

If so could be your clutch switch located on pedal or the associated starter cut relay which the clutch sw operates.

Maybe the alarm guy has put in a starter cut relay as well(both these relays cut into the black/white wire) or he could have cut into the clutch switch wire with a relay(or the alarm could operate the clutch relay directly without a relay).

For ign sw test continuity between,

White(battery) & Black/White(starter) & Black/Yellow(IG1) when switch held in start position & connector disconnected.Also dont disconnect plug with key turned on,dont want to be sparking terminals under load when wobbling plug to pull apart.Disconnect neg batt term if in doubt(dont forget radio code,blah,blah),or remove main fuse.

Hope this makes sense.

ECU-MAN
28-06-2006, 11:15 PM
could be your ignition switch contacts. or a relay from an aftermarket immo. like you said if it was the factory one then you shouldnt be able to hot wire it. and the green key light on the dash would stay on. I dont think the fuel pump will prim either.

also ( bit of a long shot ) it could be the solenoid in the starter. if its intermittent. I would run a wire to the starter signal of the starter motor and look at it when ever you start you car. when it plays up see if it lights up. if it does and the starter makes no noise at all then its the starter solenoid.

SKREMN
28-06-2006, 11:17 PM
sound liek the starter wire from the igintion barrel to the startor motor has a dry connection either a loose/bad connection or dry solder reflow with new solder and may fix the problem