PDA

View Full Version : Air Bags

ingram
29-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey guys i wanna disconnect the air bag to change the steering wheel over!
dose any one know how to disconnect it?

Zdster
29-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Just fyi, it is illegal (as far as I understand) to place a steering wheel without an airbag on a car that came stock with one.

That being said, do a search as it has been covered. It is not 'that' difficult to do.

ingram
29-06-2006, 01:28 PM
i no its illegal but the car is not registered so no need for the airbag as i will not be driving the car!

ingram
29-06-2006, 01:56 PM
i no its illegal but the car is not registered so no need for the airbag as i will not be driving the car!

aznpsuazn
29-06-2006, 03:54 PM
i dont know why you would sacrifice such a life-saving feature for a sporty steering wheel. ricer

mugeneration
29-06-2006, 04:35 PM
arent you supposed to remove airbags from track cars which race in certain types of events?

ingram
29-06-2006, 04:47 PM
would some one help me please!! i have a 5 point harness and a roll cage as the car is only for off street use ONLY!

CTR Coupe
29-06-2006, 04:54 PM
You need to disconnect both positive and negative terminals from the battery for at least 3 mins (according to the Honda service manual)
Also remove the SRS computer at the same time and do not turn on the ignition while the airbag is unplugged from the computer. It renders the computer useless and will not work if you wish to reinstall your airbag steering wheel as the computer will register the disconnected steering wheel as a deployed airbag.

As others have said its not a good idea to exchange your SRS Airbag wheel for a non-airbag steering wheel.

But if this a race car most race safety requirements are that airbags are either disabled or removed.

ECU-MAN
29-06-2006, 07:54 PM
look in the DIY section

there is a DIY on how to change the SRS wheel on a Prelude

same concept for most cars.

JaCe
01-07-2006, 08:36 AM
I heard you can buy some aftermarket wheels with airbags integrated (but they are costly)... not sure if that's true or not though.

Btw why would they want you to remove airbags for race cars? Just out of interest...