PDA

View Full Version : EK CLutch gone??

xcwizit
30-06-2006, 03:12 PM
I don't know what the problem is and never heard of this before, have done my research but couldn't anything similar to my problem.
as i was driving yesterday my clutch pedal felt weird.

BEFORE:
- i had only little bit of freeplay probably 1cm
- friction point was around 1/2 way - 3/4 away from engaging clutch

NOW:
- friction point is 1cm as soon as I let the pedal go from firewall
- freeplay is more than 50% (probably 75%) of the way before clutch pedal touches firewall.

Is this still safe to drive? Is my clutch gone? But is doesn't slip while I'm driving!
WHat could be the problem and help needed immediately?

bennjamin
30-06-2006, 03:18 PM
check your clutch slave cylinder - might be a fluid leak ? Also the piston on the gearbox might be loose ?

civic__dd
30-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Soem thing happend to me bro. My master cylinder has a leak in it and is slowly losin pressure. dont leave it to long or you may get suck like i did in town one day.

xcwizit
30-06-2006, 05:50 PM
check your clutch slave cylinder - might be a fluid leak ? Also the piston on the gearbox might be loose ?

should it leak on to the ground though?

How can i chek it? (frm the engine bay)

dudeling7
30-06-2006, 05:57 PM
yeh i would check the slave and master cylinders as that could be the problem, same thign happened to me with me master clutch cylinder and the engage point was like 1 cm from the firewall.

To see if there is a leak in the master cyylinder have a look at the top of your clutch pedal where it goes through the wall and see if there is any fluid around that area. if so thats the problem.

The slave cylinder on my teg is in the engine bay just infront of the header, if u follow the piping form the clutch reseviour forward it will end around there and there is a little rubber nipple thing attached to the end of it.

xcwizit
30-06-2006, 05:58 PM
iv re-adjusted the clutch pedal length tho... the problem is still there!!!

bennjamin
30-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Soem thing happend to me bro. My master cylinder has a leak in it and is slowly losin pressure. dont leave it to long or you may get suck like i did in town one day.

Refer to this post and what i said before - he has had the same thing happen so get it looked at asap by a professional.

xcwizit
30-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Yeah it does have sum fluidy subtances (feels like sorta greassyyy) around the top of the clutch pedal.
So what do I get fixed? And how mch $$$$ am i looking at ..??

xcwizit
30-06-2006, 07:08 PM
To see if there is a leak in the master cyylinder have a look at the top of your clutch pedal where it goes through the wall and see if there is any fluid around that area. if so thats the problem.

The slave cylinder on my teg is in the engine bay just infront of the header, if u follow the piping form the clutch reseviour forward it will end around there and there is a little rubber nipple thing attached to the end of it.

Ive just checkd the engine bay and wat do you knw... IT IS LEAKING from there!
It's leaking from the slave cylinder (i think). It looks like a blak box sort of and does have a little ruber nipple attached to it.

My power steering fluid reservior is half way and before all this xit happend, it was near to full.

Can I fix this on my own and if so, How???
otherwise, What do I buy (parts) and $$$..??

dudeling7
30-06-2006, 07:33 PM
so its leaking from both places by he sounds of it? the master and slave cylinder? hmm that will be a fairly costly fix i would imagine. the master cyider cost me about $200 including labour. im not sure about the slave cylinder. it would also depend on if your using reconditiond or new parts.

But i would reccomend gttng it done asap because your clutch system could fail whenever lol. not really a good thing to happen.

Zdster
30-06-2006, 07:37 PM
As stated could be your master cylinder (PM me as I have one for sale if you need it).

I would take it to a local mechanic/honda dealership and tell them the problem and ask them to diagnose it. If you need the name of someone good PM me as I might have someone who can help :).

xcwizit
30-06-2006, 07:37 PM
But shudn't the master cylinder (around the firewall, top of clutch pedal) be all greasy anyway?

Zdster
30-06-2006, 07:40 PM
But shudn't the master cylinder (around the firewall, top of clutch pedal) be all greasy anyway?

Im not 100% sure what is causing this (maybe someone else knows?). I would be taking it to a mechanic and letting them look at it. Shouldnt set you back to much.

xcwizit
30-06-2006, 08:34 PM
ive checked the area at top of clutch pedal again. All it seems to be is greasy but there is no leaks such as oil leaks to my carpet or anything. There is a visible leak coming from part that is covered by a rubber boxy thing with the rubber nipple connected to it. (slave cylinder). Also all my reserviors are A-OK!! except for the clutch reservoir. It seems to be empty. I think this is wat caused the leak to occur. Im going to supacheap no to buy sum dot-3 or 4 fluid to top it up.
How do i top it up? Do i just top it up or do i have to bleed it out fom sumwhere?

dudeling7
30-06-2006, 09:32 PM
if ur reseviour is empty then its likely that u got air into your system which is causing the low pressure and making ur clutch feel different. so if you are toping it up you will want to bleed the system, its pretty easy, better if you have someone helping you. but yeh top it up for now and try go to a mechanic to see what exactly the problem is. most likely its your slave cylinder.

xcwizit
30-06-2006, 09:32 PM
i think the problem is that the clutch reservoir was low in fluid, causing the slave cylinder to leak. The rubber cover is has a crack in it and it was leaking from there!

How much does a new slave cylinder cost? and labor to get sumone 2 fix it?
Or can i fix and change it myself with DIY diagrams??

Zdster
30-06-2006, 10:39 PM
i think the problem is that the clutch reservoir was low in fluid, causing the slave cylinder to leak. The rubber cover is has a crack in it and it was leaking from there!

How much does a new slave cylinder cost? and labor to get sumone 2 fix it?
Or can i fix and change it myself with DIY diagrams??

Two links for you:
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1296989
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=58482&goto=nextnewest (third set of pictures)

ECU-MAN
30-06-2006, 10:49 PM
fill it up with brake fluid and bleed it properly, that will get you going.

sounds like your slave cyl has problems.

xcwizit
01-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Iv just come back from gf's house. My car was parked on side street for about 7 hourss. Seen a leak on the ground from under engine bay. At first my gears would not go in (all of them). THen after a few pumps of the clutch pedal, it fortunately went in.
Im never going to drive my car again till its fixd.

I heard that playing with your gears while car is turned off or you are stationary at a red light is nto good... is this right?? if so, why??

xcwizit
01-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm going to bring my car to C&D motorworks..2 secs from my house in Braybrook, Monday morning.. to fix the slave cylinder.

I'm going to buy a new slave cylinder for $70 from Essendon Honda. And should I buy sum clutch fluid. too? The clutch fluid only comes in 500ml bottles.. How much do I need??
Coz, I'll get them to drain the old fluid out and pour in the new one!

I'll buy some Gearbox oil too.. get them to change gearbox oil as well. Haven't dun it yet since I bought the car.. And car has gone 56,000 kms!!

Limbo
01-07-2006, 10:20 PM
2 bottles will be able to bleed the entire system to some to spare.

ECU-MAN
01-07-2006, 10:25 PM
1 bottle bleeds the brakes and the clutch :)

Sweet Civic
02-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Ive had this problem before. It probley has air in the system. All you need to do is bleed the air out then the pedel will go back to nomal. But if that doesn't work you have bigger problems.

timmo_NZ
02-07-2006, 03:26 PM
my clutch has just started to make a sound like a lose fan belt... Got no idea how it cam about ???

xcwizit
03-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for their advise & help!!
Got my Slave cylinder replaced today by dads mechanic

Total cost: $110 $70 brand new slave cylinder frm Honda + $40 to Dad's mechanic (looked really easy, quick job. He ddnt want $$$ though, but I refused..and gave him $40)