PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke

Breezy
30-06-2006, 09:09 PM
what causes black smoke? my car is blowing out black smoke all the time, will changing the type of fuel to a different brand do anything? how can i fix this problem?

JDM Sucks
30-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Black smoke from ur exhaust pipe is caused by excess fuel which has entered the cylinder area aka. running rich
Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor
might be caused by a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. If black smoke is blowing out or your exhaust, check the engine oil as to make sure excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do not start the engine if you can smell a heavy, raw fuel smell in the engine oil. Call your mechanic and advise him of what you have found.

dsp26
30-06-2006, 10:25 PM
fix whatever is causing it asap. even a dyno with AFR printout may give you a hint depending on the general pattern.

my GFs paseo is map sensored... i knocked off the main vac hose to the iacv and literally drank 30l of petrol over 300KMs.

i know your problem ain't that severe but it kills the O2 sensor and your Cat VERY quickly.. especially if your getting exhaust pop

Spunkymonkey
30-06-2006, 10:28 PM
you will also find - yes that different fuels may have a different affect. I used to use optimax years ago, and the car would sometimes blow black smoke, and have soot on the rear bumper...changed to ultimate and seemed to burn cleaner...having said that have no problems with optimax anymore.

CUL8R
01-07-2006, 06:28 AM
tho sometimes cars run alot better when running rich, i know i have to pump heaps of fuel in the top half to the revs to get maximum performance.
that and running rich is alot better than running lean.

h22a accord
01-07-2006, 01:07 PM
i have the same problem with black smoke and high fuel consumption.

I get 200km out of 40 litres. I have put 40 litres in it 6 times in a row and i always get 200km in the city.

I need to get it checked out me thinks or i need to pull my vtec off.

EuroDude
01-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Have you checked for ECU codes?

bennjamin
01-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Might be blocked air filter ( clean or replace)
might be defective o2 sensor...

h22a accord
01-07-2006, 02:09 PM
eurodude- its throwing the same two codes since the h22a swap 2 years ago. EGR and ELD.

ben- i cleaned the filter a while ago but i guess it wouldnt hurt to clean it again. if the O@ sensor is faulty will it always throw a code for it?

bennjamin
01-07-2006, 02:23 PM
ben- i cleaned the filter a while ago but i guess it wouldnt hurt to clean it again. if the O@ sensor is faulty will it always throw a code for it?

do a DIY ECU test and it should throw a code IF the sensor is faulty or "sensing" a problem :) It wont always "flash" on the engine light while normal driving.

Limbo
01-07-2006, 04:04 PM
O2 sensor might be dead, try getting a working one from a friend and testing it.

Also if its all the time are you burning oil up? does the oil level go down fast?
Could be you seals also. Or has the exhaust gone louder or something? Maybe the cat has died and punched straight out?

ALot fo things but some more info will help

CUL8R
01-07-2006, 05:55 PM
do a DIY ECU test and it should throw a code IF the sensor is faulty or "sensing" a problem :) It wont always "flash" on the engine light while normal driving.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218

Breezy
02-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Might be blocked air filter ( clean or replace)
might be defective o2 sensor...

Ok, i will check them out. Can advance timming cause a car to run rich?