PDA

View Full Version : Euro - Rockford 3sixty or new HU

sismic
01-07-2006, 01:49 AM
Hi All,

I went to installation shop for quotation and they show me 2 options to install Head Unit on Euro.

1st Option
Change the consold with specially designed fascia for euro that has compartment for the HU. My budget for the HU is about 1k.
If I use this option, I could not use the factory HU anymore,and volume controller on the steering wheel does not work either

2nd Option
Buy RockFord 3sixty connect factory HU to this device and no need to buy new HU but the price of 3sixty itself is 1k.
3sixty is a sound processor.(like EQ). This device allows you control individual speaker on the front left,right left,back left,back right, sub output, delay etc.It uses Bluetooh to communicate with palm pilot.
If I use this option I could have all the function on steering wheel (volume control) and I could use the factory HU.

Anyone has experience on this Rockford 3sixty, what do you think guys if I want to achieve best SQ, should I go option 1 or 2?

I heard using factory HU is not as good as Blaupunkt,Alpine,Clarion etc,where as I also heard that using EQ is not good for SQ.

Mike

mugen88
01-07-2006, 10:12 AM
I went for thr first option in my Euro and have a remote mounted on the side of the steering wheel consol. I don't mind it at all and it functions well. The factory steering funtions would be nice but it all good.

Haven't heard anything about the Rockford from anybody or other forums. Most other Euro owners who have upgraded their HU and have gone for option 1.

ICACHA
01-07-2006, 07:30 PM
new head unit, OEM deck has engine noise, ask anyone who has upgraded their system using the OEM head unit...

jonolee
01-07-2006, 10:32 PM
i've currently got the compartment which adds the aftermarket headunit below the factory one, apparently theres something that can allow me to use the buttons on the steering wheel, but i'm not entirely sure
my factory doesnt work at all but i'm going to ask them to give some power so i can use it as a 6 cd stacker

i've also got a dvd deck as well

ICACHA
02-07-2006, 12:52 PM
you got an aux. input on the aftermarket deck? if not there is not way of you using the OEM deck as a stacker...

you can do a steering remote for them, will cost you around $250 plus install thou...

Fhrx
02-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I agree with ICACHA.

Remember to take into consideration the end sound quality result when you compare the prices of items like the 3sixty to an aftermarket headunit and fascia option. I'd rather the aftermarket deck myself.:)

sismic
02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll agree with you guys, since I am after SQ, I will go option 1.

I doubt 3sixty can not enhance the sound to have better than the source.
Theorycally is GIGO ,garbage in garbage out.

JaCe
11-07-2006, 10:57 AM
The 360 is apparently really good in terms of EQ and customisation (you use a bluetooth pda); but then at $1k, it might be a tad steep. I think the main plus of the 360 is you can keep all your OEM features (eg. steering wheel controls, HU which may have a stacker inbuilt, satnav, etc...) without changing deck.

It's still quite new here, but you can get it in other countries and it's spreading to a lot of Asian countries.

euro77
06-08-2006, 01:13 AM
new head unit, OEM deck has engine noise, ask anyone who has upgraded their system using the OEM head unit...

It depends on the installations. If it's done properly, engine noise will be minimal that you won't notice it (I am not saying it will not be there). My setup used OEM headunit and I don't hear any engine noise.

Last time I visit my audio installer, they highly recommend the Rockford 360. I like the fact that you can adjust it using the pda (bluetooth connection) and nothing appears inside the car (doesn't attract thieves). Alpine apparently has similar product, but they have the controller and mounted outside.

ICACHA
06-08-2006, 11:41 AM
It depends on the installations. If it's done properly, engine noise will be minimal that you won't notice it (I am not saying it will not be there). My setup used OEM headunit and I don't hear any engine noise.

so your just re-inforcing my comment that OEM HU's are noisey :)

euro77
06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
true, but I also said that it's hardly noticeable if installed properly. I guess that depends on the budget and what he's after. I know he's after SQ so he should get an aftermarket headunit. but you could save a few hundred dollars by sticking to oem unit and get the installation done properly :D

JaCe
06-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I think the 360 is more suited to very expensive cars with big budgets... not to say the Accord isn't, but I think it's more suitable for the people who buy Porsches and MB/BMW/etc...

ICACHA
06-08-2006, 11:09 PM
euro77, its hardly noticable when the volume is up, zero volume there is no noise, volume 1 the noise starts and stays at the same level all the way up the volume dial, now that to me is a sh!t designed deck and the engineer/s should be shot or honda should pay more for their sound systems as their cars are top notch unlike the audio they claim is awsum with 1,000,000 speakers hahahaha

nothing will ever replace a GOOD aftermarket system, i dont care what name is on the OEM job it will still sound like crap as OEM doesnt take into account the flaws in the cars interior and also poor speaker placment and application. :)

arverson
07-08-2006, 02:43 AM
^^ x2

anything is better than stock. theres no point of having aftermarket speakers, amps, subs, etc AND have a OEM HU.

euro77
07-08-2006, 10:59 AM
euro77, its hardly noticable when the volume is up, zero volume there is no noise, volume 1 the noise starts and stays at the same level all the way up the volume dial, now that to me is a sh!t designed deck and the engineer/s should be shot or honda should pay more for their sound systems as their cars are top notch unlike the audio they claim is awsum with 1,000,000 speakers hahahaha

nothing will ever replace a GOOD aftermarket system, i dont care what name is on the OEM job it will still sound like crap as OEM doesnt take into account the flaws in the cars interior and also poor speaker placment and application. :)

You are right about the noise on the volume level. However, I don't think (but I might be wrong here as I'm no audio expert) it's because of the head unit. I think it's because of the fact that the OEM headunit doesn't have RCA out for amplifiers, and therefore installers are forced to use the speaker out cable as the input for the amplifiers. If I'm wrong then please correct me.

ICACHA
08-08-2006, 12:56 AM
source unit means anything that the audio originates from which is a head unit regardless or it being OEM or aftermarket, there is no where else the audio comes out from except the OEM unit in the dash which yes looks pretty but has a noise problem that will always be there no matter what you do. there is no fix for it except clobber the engineer who designed it hahahaha

only way you will get a noise free system in the euro is if you use an aftermarket source which means a head unit down below :)

yes us installers are forced to use LOC's to convert the signal to LOW level so an amp doesnt see a HIGH signal straight from the head unit which IS noisey to start with, there isnt a euro that ive come across that isnt noisy using the OEM deck as a source for audio period!