PDA

View Full Version : Spray paint sides /skirts

bevis90
01-07-2006, 03:21 AM
hi there i would like to know the steps of spray painting it because I hate the look of the black so i want to color code it to match the paint

any good stores to buy spray cans/

and there is all sorts of sprays such as enamal and spray but i know wat the last process is which is the clear coat??

much help be appriciated

h22a accord
01-07-2006, 04:38 AM
hey mate, this has been covered quite a few times so there will be plenty of different ideas and opinions given to you.

Mine is to ditch the idea of using spray cans for a DIY as it wil lbe messy. time consuming and the end result will look inferior- if not down right dodgy plus it wont be durable.

Go to a few differnt smash repairers and get some quotes on having them prepped and painted professionally.

Do it properly and do it once. The smash repairer will remove them for you ( or you could remove them yourself and take the in to get painted , this will save you the labour cost of R&R ) , they will prep them and the paint them to match your colour perfectly in high quality factory finish which will say looking sweet.

expect to pay up to $600 depending on where you go. Either way, its basiaclly a waste of money to do it DIY because at a later date you will decide that getting them painted properly is the right thing to do.
trust me mate, it is worth it. IMO its the easiest and best asthetic mod you could do for your car.

JaCe
01-07-2006, 08:38 AM
$600 is that all???!!!

I heard from someone else on another forum they got their Volkswagen Beetle resprayed in pink for $8k- but that was inclusive of everything- paint, stripping the car to parts and spraying each part individually, etc...

Could you please elaborate on why there is such a difference in price?

dudeling7
01-07-2006, 12:09 PM
$600 is that all???!!!

I heard from someone else on another forum they got their Volkswagen Beetle resprayed in pink for $8k- but that was inclusive of everything- paint, stripping the car to parts and spraying each part individually, etc...

Could you please elaborate on why there is such a difference in price?

Ths is just for colour coding the black moulds and black items on the car man not a full respray of the car

Alpine
01-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I got my skirts and side strips done for about $250 from memory.

Lex_EG93
01-07-2006, 12:15 PM
yeah man get it professionally done. doing it yourself will only make your car look dodgey...

corn_flakes
01-07-2006, 07:55 PM
i've got a pretty good hand with a can of spray paint....:D

lol

plus, u don't need a clear coat as those cans of spray paint are already shiny...

i dare ya! :p

u can pull it off if u have the skills...of course it won't look brillant

i'd do it if i was painting a grill or something, but i wouldn't spray skirts...lol

Yasakani
08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
How much roughly would it cost for someone to spray a lip if I brought the lip (not installed) to them?

SeverAMV
08-09-2007, 05:08 PM
depends on how good a job you want. probably, depending on the lip, somewhere between 200-400.

if you think you can do it with spray cans, then go ahead. just make sure you use good cans, and consistently even layers. using the proper spray gear would be better, but if your air compressor runs outta puff half way, you gotta start all over again or the coats will look funky.

just steer away from export paint. they have a tendency to yellow. i painted my rims matt white using export paint, and 2 weeks later, they've already turned yellow. now they're only white at night.

Yasakani
08-09-2007, 09:09 PM
depends on how good a job you want. probably, depending on the lip, somewhere between 200-400.

Oh... WOW. didn't expect that.
just for a single lip?

markCivicVti
08-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Yeah, i thought it'd be under 80-150... damn.

Can people give us an example of what they've had painted (specifically lips/spoilers) and how much they've paid.

Boban
08-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Front bar: full respray, some chips 200 (inc lip)
Rear bar:200 full respray, scratches(colourcode the little stock black lip)
Side Skirts: 50 pre side = 100
Door moulds: 50 per side = 100 (3 moulds per side on my car, front guard, front door and rear door)

Car: 94 Eg civic sedan
Place: Mooroka Smash Repairs

Yasakani
08-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Front bar: full respray, some chips 200 (inc lip)
Rear bar:200 full respray, scratches(colourcode the little stock black lip)
Side Skirts: 50 pre side = 100
Door moulds: 50 per side = 100 (3 moulds per side on my car, front guard, front door and rear door)

Car: 94 Eg civic sedan
Place: Mooroka Smash Repairs

So it was the full rear bumper, WITH the rear lip? for 200?

I woulda thought just a lip would be same price as what you paid for 1 side skirt.

Thanks for reply :)

Boban
08-09-2007, 11:34 PM
nah i don't have a rear lip yet :(, it's 200 to respray the bumper, it's got scratches on it (i work at a shopping center and ppl are not as careful with my car as i am and bang it with trolleys and whatnot)

markCivicVti
09-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Thanks Boban, legend!

SeverAMV
09-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Oh... WOW. didn't expect that.
just for a single lip?

yeah, as i said, depends on how good a job you want. if you know the dude, he'd probably do it cheaper, but thats how much it seems to cost in SA.

Dell99
09-09-2007, 01:38 PM
boban wen did u get it resprayed
cause i'm in bris n currently thinkin shld i do it or not?