PDA

View Full Version : 98 Leg audio

bdang007
01-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey Guys,
Dunno if this is the best place to ask, but here goes. I was wondering if anyone knows if it will be easy to install after market front speakers (6X9s) and an after market amp to power them using the OEM head unit. As I do not have the owner's manual or any specs for the car, I have no idea to what type of power/voltage they use. So any ideas, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated.

dhdevil
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
if u want a amp to run your front speakers, there 6'' not 6x9 and you will have to change the head unit torun it. all car head units/amps use 12v as its using the cars 12v power supply.

best thing to do is find out what size speakers you have, im pretty sure its 6'' driver in the door and tweater in the front corner of the door.

bdang007
02-07-2006, 04:37 PM
So I have to get a new head unit, damn. I wanted to keep it looking stock. So the head unit can't produce enough power?
If they were 6" would it be hard to put in 6x5s without it bulging out?
And yeh, they have the tweeters in the front corners...
I'm thinking of getting new speakers and getting an amp to run it. I dont see why I would need a new head unit... ?? Thanks champ.

Mr_will
02-07-2006, 07:48 PM
that is incorrect. you do not need to get a new headunit. all you need to do is run the speaker wires to the input of your amp, and then run wires from the output of your amp to your new speakers.

anyone who says otherwise is welcome to come and enjoy the stylings of my oem headunit, complete with amp and sub

TRU32U
03-07-2006, 05:37 PM
wat will said...
but better to run signal converter for better clarity...
where u pick up signal from ur speakers and convert to rca rather then speaker wire to the actual amp.

bdang007
03-07-2006, 07:24 PM
hey thanks for the input. Excuse the noob question, Can you give me some details on what you mean by running a signal converter? How and what would I need to do such a thing? Thanks.

beayni85
05-08-2007, 12:46 AM
i have a 97 legend, just incase you didnt know, you can actually cut the dash to fit a double din cd player, i have a w202e alpine double din dvd player cut into the factory slot. that way you can get better quality sound, and if you are only running mid-range speakers enough power to power it without an amp. line tap's are ok for subs, but if you are using them to power other speakers that play middle to higher frequencies enjoy the 'roadnoise'

beayni85
05-08-2007, 12:59 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2502486 u can c here how it fits. and steer clear of 6x9's full stop. they will not sound anywhere near as good as the factory speakers you have now. high frequencies dont disperse very well, thats why cars put a seperate tweeter higher up closer to the driver. understandably we have 6x9's in our rear, but they only play low frequencies from a x-over sumwhere in the car. best of luck :)

beayni85
05-08-2007, 01:03 AM
that is incorrect. you do not need to get a new headunit. all you need to do is run the speaker wires to the input of your amp, and then run wires from the output of your amp to your new speakers.

anyone who says otherwise is welcome to come and enjoy the stylings of my oem headunit, complete with amp and sub

if you do that with some amps they blow up haha, so check they have the capability first. i know some soundstream amps let you do it. but ive seen a u-dimension amp crack the shits when sumone did it that way. safest is using a line tap which takes teh signal from the speaker wires and alters them then feeds them through rca's to the amp, they are inexpensive

bdang007
06-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey,
I'm getting some 5.25" speakers and am going to replace the oem ones with them, I'm not sure if its going to make a huge difference but lets hope it does! I don't really want to put subs and amps in because I won't need to play it extremely loud. Just need a little extra boost to the stock system, do you think the speakers will help??

beayni85
06-08-2007, 06:14 PM
if you are just replacing the speakers and using the head unit to power them proberly not a huge difference. because you will be sending them the same quality and amplitude signal as your old ones. Your best bet if you just want a lil bit more volume is to get a decent head unit with a decent output and replace the front stage. that way you will be getting a better quality signal and a higher amplitude.