PDA

View Full Version : Slack Throttle Cable

Zilli
01-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I've noticed of late that there is a lot of slack in my throttle cable

ive taken a look where it joins to the TB, and there are two nuts side by side, do i just need to loosen and tighten those nuts until the cable is tight?

is this the right way of doing it? any implications? i don't want to make it too tight as i don't want it to snap down the track. Would this have slackened due to stretching?

CUL8R
01-07-2006, 05:48 PM
yes just have one nut move down then the other to tighten the line.
dont have it too tight coz the throttle will stay slightly open.
if u dont have some sort of MAP pressure display, VAFC,RSM (throttle %) ect. dont do it too tight but just tight enough to remove the slack.
just check ur idle before and after tightening if the car is warm its better indication if ur thottle has been opened or not.

ECU-MAN
01-07-2006, 09:56 PM
some slack is normal

dont over tighten the cable as it will idle funny

with the engine not running, make sure you can get WOT when your done. ( check the butterfly is fully open )

Limbo
01-07-2006, 10:13 PM
i tightened mine so that the lightest touch it revs. hehe took me abit to get use to it but its good now

Zilli
02-07-2006, 01:26 AM
i tightened mine so that the lightest touch it revs. hehe took me abit to get use to it but its good now

yeh well it was like this when i got mine, but i think over 6 years its gotten looser

Zilli
02-07-2006, 01:28 AM
thanks for the feedback and tips boys, ill do this 2moro

aimre
02-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but if its too tight, at WOT, it can rotate more than 45' and start closing again

qikteg
02-07-2006, 10:44 AM
the throttle butterfly has a stop point which prevents it from moving further than it should. overtightening the cable could possibly damage the cable, if it hits the stop point too early, and you keep pushing the throttle, you could snap the cable...

also, if you're an auto, you may want to calibrate your kickdown cable accordingly, otherwise you're shifting will be affected (mostly, you won't be able to, you'll just rev out)

ECU-MAN
02-07-2006, 11:58 PM
the throttle butterfly has a stop point which prevents it from moving further than it should. overtightening the cable could possibly damage the cable, if it hits the stop point too early, and you keep pushing the throttle, you could snap the cable...

also, if you're an auto, you may want to calibrate your kickdown cable accordingly, otherwise you're shifting will be affected (mostly, you won't be able to, you'll just rev out)

good post dude. but you should leave the AT kick down cable alone, it is relevant to throttle butterfly openening only, not the cable moving.

qikteg
03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
good post dude. but you should leave the AT kick down cable alone, it is relevant to throttle butterfly openening only, not the cable moving.

oh okay... that was an assumption, because everytime that i fiddled with my throttle cable, the AT wouldn't shift, it would just rev out. but the problem eventually fixed itself, so yeah, you must be right :)

iamhappy46
03-07-2006, 05:31 PM
aimre: I think you mean 90 degrees

ECU-MAN
03-07-2006, 11:23 PM
oh okay... that was an assumption, because everytime that i fiddled with my throttle cable, the AT wouldn't shift, it would just rev out. but the problem eventually fixed itself, so yeah, you must be right :)

I hope your AT is Ok.

the AT throttle leaver must start to move as the throttle butterfly starts to move.

Slow96GSR
04-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Where is the slack? Is it between the firewall and the mounting bracket on the T.B. or is it between the rotator and the mounting bracket? If it is between the firewall and the mounting bracket don't worry about it that's normal and won't bother anything. If it's between the rotator and the mounting bracket then those nuts will allow you to tighten it. Make sure that the rotator is still resting on the idle set screw and not off it. If it's off the set screw you have an open throttle and will be wasting your petrol!!

cuongn
04-07-2006, 08:09 AM
if u tighten it would it make ur car go faster.or it would be da same.? if it is den i'ii be tighting mine

Slow96GSR
04-07-2006, 08:43 AM
It will make no difference in going faster or slower. It's only going to help throttle response by about 1%-5%. Which on a Honda is not worth messing with. Remember: If it ain't broke, Don't fix it!

qikteg
04-07-2006, 09:23 AM
I hope your AT is Ok.

the AT throttle leaver must start to move as the throttle butterfly starts to move.

yeah, its fine now, i think it may be related to something else, but i haven't had any troubles yet