PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Cam Gears

spoondc2
01-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Would anyone explain to me the purposes of it? Other than saying it adjust the cam timing :o

And is it suppose to be adjusted when it's fitted with the cams or the tuner could do it on dyno? Cos it's covered by the valve cover and it seems no way to adjust without removing the valve cover

Sorry for the "n00b" q's......

chunky
01-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Adjustable cam gears increase horsepower by allowing you to make changes to the intake and exhaust valve opening durations.

spoondc2
01-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Is it suppose to pre-adjust after installations or need to ran on the dyno to do the adjustments?

chunky
01-07-2006, 10:14 PM
i think thats your job run the dyno

spoondc2
01-07-2006, 10:22 PM
In that case, should I leave the cam gear cover off after I change the cams?

chunky
01-07-2006, 10:23 PM
sorry beyond my knowledge my friend
after all i am just a kid
any 1 else?

spoondc2
01-07-2006, 10:34 PM
:D haha...
Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

supernatural
03-07-2006, 01:12 AM
spoondc2... to get the most out of your cam gears...u would need to dyno it... your tuner will tune and adjust the cam gears accordingly...

yes...it would be a pain to take off the rocker cover to adjust the cam gears... so it would be nessasary for you to source yourself a spare rocker cover with the cam gear cover cut... so tat it can be adjusted by the tuner while tuning it...

try asking your mechanic or workshops...they should have a spare rockercover that has the cam gear cover cut off...

so all u need to do it... change the rocker cover... tune it... then change it back to your own cover...

tat should do the trick... :thumbsup: good luck! :)

TODA AU
03-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Would anyone explain to me the purposes of it? Other than saying it adjust the cam timing :o

And is it suppose to be adjusted when it's fitted with the cams or the tuner could do it on dyno? Cos it's covered by the valve cover and it seems no way to adjust without removing the valve cover

Sorry for the "n00b" q's......

Often a little bit of power can be found having a fiddle with the cam timing on the dyno.
It's a little hit & miss & you're only putting the cams where they should have been in the 1st place.
Some engines display large gains, others are already spot-on & can only go backwards if the cams are moved.
This is because the engines are mass produced & built to a tolerance rather than a spec.
This allows for variations in particular engines of the same type~model.
With aftermarket camshafts, these should be installed & set-up per the manufacturer's cam card that is supplied with the camshaft.
Though gains gain be found sometimes when adjusting aftermarket cams on the dyno, care must be taken with larger cams not to damage the engine.
Furteher, the timing recomended by the manufacturer is often the best for that cam on that engine.
This is not to say you don't need adjustable cam pulleys, rather you need them more with aftermaket cams so the cams cam be timed correctly.

Regarding adjusting on the dyno.
Most shops that regularly tune Honda's have a cut off rocker cover available for use on the dyno to save repeated removal of the rocker cover.

Cold Fusion
04-07-2006, 12:55 AM
i just brought some crower cams and some crower cam gears, along with the retainers and springs, are you saing the cam gears can make me LOSE power? my engine was just rebuilt and so everythign was taken out and out back in so would they of fit it right then?

and since im getting bigger cams, will the cam gears help improve it, because they are bigger and may need that bit of adjusting?

Thanks

Slow96GSR
04-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Yes you can lose power... if you tune it poorly! I noticed a well deserved gain with my Crower set up once it was tuned right. Getting power with cams is all in the tune. The Crower cam gears will be just perfect for the cams. I use OBX just cuz I am lazy and don't want to retune the car!! Really any cam gear would work as long as they are adjustable.