PDA

View Full Version : Cams

Mashimaro
02-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Does anyone have the specs for buddy club cam spec III + and buddy club spec IV?

Is buddyclub cam spec III equivalent of toda spec B? Trying to look up specs for them on the buddyclub sight but doesnt say anything bout the lift duration just says power gains.

Basically with the spec III and IV do I have to change the compresssion like toda C? or can i direct bolt on without a fuss.

Would it be alrite using the combonation of toda cam gears with buddy club cams?

SPEEDCORE
02-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Even though they call it spec 3... they are actually a quite mild cam.... think of a more agressive CTR cam.

Yes Toda Cam gears will work fine with these cams AFAIK.

Just remeber that they are a cam for midrange.....

Mashimaro
02-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Even though they call it spec 3... they are actually a quite mild cam.... think of a more agressive CTR cam.

Yes Toda Cam gears will work fine with these cams AFAIK.

Just remeber that they are a cam for midrange.....

What about the IV cams then? I'm lookin for something in the same range of Toda B. Obviously I can purchase toda Bs but i want to see what else is available for me without adjusting the compression.

SPEEDCORE
02-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Double check these values but from what I found a while back...

Specifications:
Cam lift: IN 12.3mm EX 11.8mm
Duration: IN 306 EX 302

Phamburger
02-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey mashi

I regards to Cams, IMO if you want something similar to TODA B spec have u looked into SKUNK2 Pro series 1 cams? they have product good power for alot of USDM modified cars.

Also if you search on Honda-tech.com about Rocket Motorsport M22 cams they will also surpise u with there great result. There's alot of result for those two cams i mention on Honda-tech.com so have a look and i hope it helps with your choice of topend work

Best of Luck

My 2 cents

Dave

jimmeh
02-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Also if you search on Honda-tech.com about Rocket Motorsport M22 cams they will also surpise u with there great result. There's alot of result for those two cams i mention on Honda-tech.com so have a look and i hope it helps with your choice of topend work

Best of Luck

My 2 cents

Dave

listen to him , he knows what he is tokn about:thumbsup::thumbsup:

panda[cRx]
03-07-2006, 12:25 AM
skunk2 are a great but strangely underused cam in aus. give em go tn, they're pretty good price wise too for broke bludgers such as yourself :p

Mashimaro
03-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the advise guys. I'l look into it. :)

rated_r
03-07-2006, 10:21 AM
hey man im from wat iv heard alot of cars in the states are using buddy club cams
and for both spec 3+ and spec 4 cams u dont need to change the comp

iv also heard of a race car in new zealand using spec 4 cams in his ek9 b18c and he swears by them

gud luck with wateva u choose dude

Mashimaro
03-07-2006, 02:50 PM
hey man im from wat iv heard alot of cars in the states are using buddy club cams
and for both spec 3+ and spec 4 cams u dont need to change the comp

iv also heard of a race car in new zealand using spec 4 cams in his ek9 b18c and he swears by them

gud luck with wateva u choose dude

Yeah i was considering bc spec 4 but i really didnt know if i need to change the compression. Honestly speaking I don't under stand the duration and lifts specification on cams. Hence i don't know if i need to change compresssion. I wanna get the biggest cams possible with out possibly changin anything.

rated_r
03-07-2006, 05:25 PM
iv heard with the spec 4 cams you will only hav to change ur cam gears i think coz the duration is over 300 degrees

they do advise changing valves, valve springs, retainers and head gasket if u want maximum performance out of them but thats with any cam but the spec 4 cams will work with just the camshafts and cam gears

Mashimaro
03-07-2006, 06:18 PM
iv heard with the spec 4 cams you will only hav to change ur cam gears i think coz the duration is over 300 degrees

they do advise changing valves, valve springs, retainers and head gasket if u want maximum performance out of them but thats with any cam but the spec 4 cams will work with just the camshafts and cam gears

Thanks for that. I've done all of above. I'm currently got toda C's in my car which you need to change more then above hence i'm tryin to downgrade.

SPEEDCORE
03-07-2006, 07:10 PM
So you got Toda C's with just a built head and sotck bottom end? :confused:

Mashimaro
03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
So you got Toda C's with just a built head and sotck bottom end? :confused:

That is correct hence I'm looking for a downgrade which I don't need to alter the bottom end/compression.

While I'm here. Instead of starting another thread, can someone explain to me what all the specs on cams actually mean? Duration, Lift. That way i don't have to ask noob questions all the time

eg. Toda b 255duration lift 12, 245duration lift 12mm yet toda c is 255 lift 12.5, 255 duartion lift 12.5.

That .5mm lift difference yet the Cs need higher compression which i don't understand. So i hope someone can explain this to me.
If its too hard to explain to simple minded people eg dumb arse me can you put a list/suggestion/recommendation of cams i can run without changin compression.

SPEEDCORE
03-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Fark man.... I'm sorry but in my personal view those cams are too much for a stock bottom end.

Ok basic run down....

Lift is a measurement of how far the valve will open off the valve seat.

Duration is measured in 360 degrees... a cam that has a duration of say 300 will remain open (though not nessecarily fully open to the full lift) for 300degrees..... for the remaining 60 degrees of rotation the valves are closed.

The amount of compression needed to support a particular cam can be based on the amount of lift and duration of the cam and takes into consideration things like overlap.

This is a basic basic intro into explaining it... there are other people on these forums who are very knowledgable and would be able to go into great detail about all the other things.

May I ask if you where sold/recommended these cams by someone or did you buy them on your own accord and had them fitted and tuned by someone?

Mashimaro
03-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Fark man.... I'm sorry but in my personal view those cams are too much for a stock bottom end.

Ok basic run down....

Lift is a measurement of how far the valve will open off the valve seat.

Duration is measured in 360 degrees... a cam that has a duration of say 300 will remain open (though not nessecarily fully open to the full lift) for 300degrees..... for the remaining 60 degrees of rotation the valves are closed.

The amount of compression needed to support a particular cam can be based on the amount of lift and duration of the cam and takes into consideration things like overlap.

This is a basic basic intro into explaining it... there are other people on these forums who are very knowledgable and would be able to go into great detail about all the other things.

May I ask if you where sold/recommended these cams by someone or did you buy them on your own accord and had them fitted and tuned by someone?
It came with the car. Once again they I'm trying to gather all this information so I can purchase a lower grade cams eg Toda B. I can go out and buy toda b but I know theres other products out there that will do the same and cost less but in saying that i look at the specs and dont know crap. I don't wanna go buy another set of cams that need high compression.