PDA

View Full Version : changing timing belt and cam gears?

JEMBON
09-05-2004, 01:58 PM
im almost at the 100 000km mark n i was wondering if it would save time if i changed the timin belt n cams wif sum aftermarket ones?
what does this actually do n will it make a difference?

[[d a n n y]]
09-05-2004, 03:03 PM
after market cam gears such as spoon,toda etc etc will allow u to adjust the intake and the exhasut of the car...

ie..allowing ur car to produce more power..

camgears by itself will not give u a leap in power but..cam gears and ecu will give u alot more power...

as the ecu can b tuned to give more power

totti
09-05-2004, 09:31 PM
i think he may be talking about timing belt and cam belt???

as its a 100k service, i dont think he is after camgears danny

Back to the original question, i dont think aftermarket belts would be necesary unless your car is heavily modified in some way

i may be wrong tho

poid
10-05-2004, 08:25 AM
it did say cam gears in the title

Aftermarket belts are not needed at all, except perhaps if your car is built to rev to 10k rpm. As for cam gears, put them on at the same time if you are planning future mods (ie cams). Without some decent mods they wont make a lot of difference

bennjamin
10-05-2004, 05:32 PM
]]
as the ecu can b tuned to give more power

Dr Pro - forgive me for not properly understanding your "koala dialect" ...but a stock ecu (and many aftermarket ones) cannot be tuned. They simply adjust a few varibles to suit environmental conditions . . .

I THINK the point is a tuneable ECU is a good investment ofcourse - opening up the ability to tune your car to its modifications ( for example, header, exhaust , cams....resetting fuel maps etc to properly use these bits etc etc)...

poid
11-05-2004, 08:24 AM
stock cant, but add a socket to a stocker and you can retune to your hearts content ;)

Civic Type R
11-05-2004, 12:07 PM
most Honda service people these days are realising the OEM timing belt can be changed at the 120kkm service. They are reported to be in excellent condition when 'usually' removed at 100kkm
As for your cam gears .. do what you want i guess :)

poid
11-05-2004, 12:12 PM
i'd still be removing it at 100k km, simply because while most of them look good, if you have one of the seals leaking a bit of oil the chances of the timing belt being deteriorated are pretty good.

The timing belt in my brother's prelude snapped at 80k km because of a leaky seal, leading to a couple of bent valves (he got lucky nothing else was damaged)

Rufes1
12-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Its not worth the risk of holding out for an extra 20k. snapped timing belt if the engine is not stopped straight away, expect alot of damage and an engine rebuild

CTR Coupe
13-05-2004, 12:05 AM
I’m not sure what the lifespan of a Honda water pump is but look at getting that changed when u have your cam belt changed will save you labour when it packs up later on. That is a generalisation on all cars not specific to Honda. It’s an extra expense that will save u in the long run (unless it makes it to 200,000kms with the original water pump)

Rufes1
13-05-2004, 09:23 PM
mines at 220,000 :D

MKI4EVA
16-05-2004, 06:49 PM
im almost at the 100 000km mark n i was wondering if it would save time if i changed the timin belt n cams wif sum aftermarket ones?
what does this actually do n will it make a difference?

if you have the money then do it.
cam gears give you the ability to shift ur torque curve up the scale or down. when you set the cam gears on advance you shift your torque curve down giving you abit more "get up and go" down in the lower rev range......(compromising on a tad up top end)

with cams it allows you to make more power all the way through the rev range cause the lobes on the cams are different to stock and are more aggressive......i.e larger duration.

so if you do either u'll def feel the difference.........and doing both u'll fly.

SPEEDCORE
16-05-2004, 10:05 PM
When you guys mentioned the seals do you mean cam seals?

Worth changing together?? I don't see them being very expensive no?

badsector
22-11-2004, 12:46 PM
The OEM cam seals seem to leak over time, so replacing it whilst you're getting your belts changed might save abit on labour.