PDA

View Full Version : Euro steering issue with big rims and small offsets

avid
03-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Ive noticed some threads both on here and on the US Acura TSX forums that mention noticeable tramtracking(lining)and reduction in self-centering on some members cars.Im curious to see if it relates to vehicles fitted with aftermarket rims with offsets less than the factory ET55's,and if so, at what offset it becomes apparent.People running 48ET seem to be OK,but what about those on 45,42 and even 40.Would anybody with non standard rims like to pass on their impressions.

SiReal
04-07-2006, 06:59 PM
There are cases even with Stock wheels straight smack bang brand new from the factory that the car steers itself. A few members on here have had this issue.

A bit OT, apologies, but I think it has to do with with suspension (it seems very unsettled on many euros - with varying degrees). Hence the car is not evenly balanced. one member changed to aftermarket suspension, same setting all round and the problem was eliminated.

avid
04-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Yes,you're right SiReal,a couple of Honda dealers have confirmed that to me as well even on bog standard Euros.
Its precisely because the Euro seems to be so touchy in the front end that im trying to find out if 'out of spec offsets' affects the steering self centering and creates (or adds to) a tracking problem.
I assume the Euro runs with zero scrub radius at 55 offset,if i buy a rim with say a 45 offset,that really stuffs up (by 10mm)the factory determined optimal SAI and scrub radius.Sometimes (on most cars) this will go unnoticed,but then on others it will change the feel of the steering for the worse,usually makes it feel heavier at least , it all depends on the design and set up.
You guys are all pretty well atuned to how your cars drive and feel,and i'm hoping some of you can tell me weather or not you've detected any change in your steering(self centering and tramtracking) since you put your bigger rims on.And if you did,what offset are you running.
How about at least a short reply saying either no change detected ,running x offset,or yes some of the above detected running x offset.

euro69
04-07-2006, 08:53 PM
yes u guys are rite.
im running 19x8.5 with an offset of +38
steering feels abit heavier. also affects the self centreing and tramtracking

SiReal
04-07-2006, 08:56 PM
general rule of thumb is the wider the tyre, the car will steer itself, hence drag cars have bicycle style wheels on the front.