PDA

View Full Version : so...this is my civic

yellow beast
03-07-2006, 05:38 PM
hi everyone. my name is penelope and i love old civics - mine in particular. a stock as a rock 1978 hatch.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/dream2drift/front.jpg
my main reason for joining (after a few months of perusing) is because wear and tear has meant costly engine repair or a new engine. and i am not too clear on where i could get my hands on a quality EB3 to replace my current one.
any questions about me or my car feel free to ask. if there is anyone else with older civics 81 or older - i would especially love to hear from you
ox

toE
03-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Welcome aboard Penelope :)

Old skool Civic FTW :thumbsup:

all_motor_baby
03-07-2006, 07:36 PM
welcome to OH
old or new any civics good lol :P

SiReal
03-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I LOVE old skool civics. I say, one of the best looking if restored (but thats with all old cars). Glad to see they are still on the roads :) and driven by enthuasiasts, not just students who need a cheap runaround.

yellow beast
03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
so many people tell me it is a shit box and to sell it. for a 28yr old car to (until recently) still be going strong i think it is awesome. it was my mum's first car and mine too. how many cars these days can go through families like that?
i like to do as much work on her as i can. i am no knowledgable person but i know more than how to change a tyre and i love that, this car has made me appreciate cars as machines. and it has been a great way to learn.

kraiye
04-07-2006, 10:26 AM
dont throw out the car... just the EB3 ;)
then drop in b16a
j/k

thats so cool that you still have your mums first car :)
my mums was a mini. she was braking for a corner comming down bulahdelah mountain in NSW when her rear wheel overtook her.
lol

South Vietnamese Honda
04-07-2006, 10:31 AM
I LOVE old skool civics. I say, one of the best looking if restored (but thats with all old cars). Glad to see they are still on the roads :) and driven by enthuasiasts, not just students who need a cheap runaround.

Yeah, old cars are good. take the old 6th gen accords and civics for example - despite looks, the new ones are by far no match for quality and engineering.

i've driven accords all my life, the 1998-2000 acccord v6's are wow wow cars much better than the latest accords now. no offense intended.

Ru$kI
04-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Ditto...thats why I bought a 6th gen Civic...theyv got awesome reliability and comfort specs + look WAY hotter than 7th and 8th gen civics...

old skool civics FTW!!!:thumbsup:

South Vietnamese Honda
04-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Ditto...thats why I bought a 6th gen Civic...theyv got awesome reliability and comfort specs + look WAY hotter than 7th and 8th gen civics...

old skool civics FTW!!!:thumbsup:

That's correct, some and I only stress 'some' old Honda's look and feel even better than the new ones.

chunky
04-07-2006, 11:56 AM
welcome
old skooool
even got a little vent/scoop oh the hood

incoming
04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
thats the 2nd Gen civic right?

man i wanted that but couldnt find one
so i settled for a 3G 85 civic
tis a ghetto beast!

yellow beast
05-07-2006, 08:35 PM
thanks for all the comments :)

nah, 1st gen

and if i had more money i would be VERY tempted to put a b16a in it but i'd need to upgrade all the springs and stuff as well wouldn't i? uni student (read as poor- i don't even get gov love!) besides, where is the room for it? lol

ebay has some bargains on early civics frequently. there was a 4door yellow 78 for $10. the guy bought it as project car and ran out of time and money (after he had patched up the shell which looked really straight anyway).

a guy is always trying to sell his blue turbo 78 civic (not a turbo fan though... GO CARBY!).

i have seen the fastest civic on the drag. it is a 77 or 79 white turbo thing. the fastest NA civic is a 77 or 79 as well. (obviously not stock i got mine to 150km/h then got worried i'd kill her)

matt
05-07-2006, 09:07 PM
welcome
thats probably the oldest honda on these boards
theres a guy that lives down the road from me that has an old school civic wagon (look like the same model).

RateMyHonda.com
05-07-2006, 09:18 PM
wow you have an old civic? Very unique indeed...:)

Dray_Templar
06-07-2006, 09:18 AM
mate love your car, my dad used to have a blue 4 door like that, used to be my nan's before my dads.

got we gave the poor thing a hard time, they just don't die, we stuffed the trannie abit, (was going 60 and put it into reverse) poor thing. still went but made bad clunking sounds in geat box (wonder why :P).

but mate love them, tough, cool old beasts. i wanna buy one now :)

P.S don't sell it will be a colletor's item in 10-20 years imoa.

kraiye
06-07-2006, 11:18 AM
but mate love them, tough, cool old beasts. i wanna buy one now :)

like yellow said, THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Civic-1979-Turbo_W0QQitemZ170005057054QQihZ007QQcategoryZ7245 0QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) one is always available ;)

Dray_Templar
06-07-2006, 12:28 PM
like yellow said, THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Civic-1979-Turbo_W0QQitemZ170005057054QQihZ007QQcategoryZ7245 0QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) one is always available ;)

lol.. want to. not going to, there are alot of things i want to buy ;)

and can't look at ebay links at work :( they have it blocked to stop there staff from, wasting time there. :thumbdwn:

yellow beast
07-07-2006, 09:33 PM
if you wait a few months that civic'll be back up and MUCH cheaper. when i first saw it, he was asking for 9K and that was about 6mths ago. it is only 1K now.

i saw a '78 blue 2 door hatch iin Winmalee, NSW. parked mine beside that one, checked them out.

to anyone who wants one, search ebay and local classifieds. that is where i see the most.

my tax return is going to be impressive and so i plan on using that money to get it another engine and maybe a fresh coat cos the yellow has faded so much.

Dray: was the civic you mentioned purely paddybasher so when it stopped running it just stopped? or you got rid of it?

my favourite thing about my civic is it is a 'hondamatic' (most awesome badge, but mine got stolen by F**KERS!!!!) and it is a 2speed auto with 'L' and '*'. yes, that is right, no 'D' but a star.

incoming
07-07-2006, 10:24 PM
theres a 2G civic in NSW, pretty sure its b16a but also turbo'd
plates is [PWR2W8]
that thing would haul ass

hondamatic is the best!
the early model accord/prelude have them as well... my uncle had a the accord.. brings back memories

yellow beast
08-07-2006, 04:33 PM
thanks for all the comments :)

yeah, 2nd gen.

apparently the first generation civic's were the 1972-1979 models, which puts me in the first gen catagory.

but with the civic manuals, the first set is for 1972-1977 models.is the manual saying it is a second gen? help...

i saw a '76 wagon today. pretty good condition too!

STTICH
08-07-2006, 04:38 PM
keep the old skool up :thumbsup:

and welcome btw :)

Dray_Templar
10-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Dray: was the civic you mentioned purely paddybasher so when it stopped running it just stopped? or you got rid of it?

Nah we used it onroad for a few years, took it up some forwheel drive tracks, jumping the thing and bottoming it out still we sweet untill dad put in reverse while going 60km/h got wierd sound in transmission after that, (wonder why) . anyway sence it was still going and had reg dad gave it to a mate of his who was in need of a car so he could keep his job. a shame but i would of done the same thing.

not sure what happend to it after than, might still be sitting at dads mates place in the backyard or somthing.

incoming
10-07-2006, 12:11 PM
one of the appearence differences with 1G and 2G civics is the side view mirrors

1G civic have the passenger side view on the passenger guard from memory!

Spunkymonkey
10-07-2006, 04:23 PM
great car! I love the old civics....my sisters first car was a 1st gen civic - with city turbo (1) in it.....lots of fun scaring the commodores...

used to drive around my cousins 2nd gen (cabriolet) with twin carby engine - and yes - they cut the roof off and made it into a convertible lol...it rocked...except for cv joint popping out when driving to the city, and 5th gear melting when driving on the freeway lol...

we had a city t2 project car we were working on as well, but was getting too costly so we sold it, and parts (from a city t2 that we dismantled as well)

btw...I would be concerned with handling if you dropped a b16a in....the 1st gen didn't handle that well with the turbo engine in it, so not sure how the b16a would handle unless you did some serious suspension upgrades :)

dc2dc2dc2
10-07-2006, 04:27 PM
welcome to OH mate ! nice to see some old schoool on the forums.

i speak on behalf of Qball and OH when i say

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/dc2dc2dc2/111556065l17gv.jpg

that is all. dc2dc2dc2 > Qball

Q_ball
10-07-2006, 04:28 PM
btw...I would be concerned with handling if you dropped a b16a in....the 1st gen didn't handle that well with the turbo engine in it, so not sure how the b16a would handle unless you did some serious suspension upgrades :)
^B16 in comparison to a turbo engine = vely vely different QQQ :p

Welcome mate!
Great to see the old school models still coming out to play :)

miko_
10-07-2006, 04:31 PM
nice car buddy! welcome to OH!!
keep the car for memories and never sell it =]

Spunkymonkey
10-07-2006, 04:36 PM
^B16 in comparison to a turbo engine = vely vely different QQQ :p

Welcome mate!
Great to see the old school models still coming out to play :)

I realise that....

but your talking 80kw approx for city turbo motor for a 720kg car as compared to 116kw for a b16a in a 720kg car...power to weight! and yes obviously the b16a would weigh more than the city turbo motor.

I'm posting my experience driving and sitting in our previous 1st gen civic....

struggled to handle fast corners with 80kw in 720kg car....

just something to be aware of that's all.

yellow beast
12-07-2006, 05:04 PM
yeah, i'd definitely upgrade that stuff if i had the time and finances todrop in a b16a.
i mentioned in my first post that my car has old parts wearing. i found out the other day that it was actually my dad (as with most other problems it has had). Without me at home with him and the car to supervise what he does to her, he changed the big end bearing but didn't know/was too lazy to check that he was putting the same size in. so teh smaller bearing went in and was rattling away at the crank shaft. lucky i know what is going on with my car cos i took it in as soon as i knew something was up and the damage isn't too bad. new bearing and slight remachining of the crank shaft are the verdict.
i love my car and have found it an awesome car to learn about carby operated cars on. i have helped/done repairs and checked out what is going on. As well as looking at my good ol' Haynes to know how to pull it apart and put it back together again.
thanks for all the support everyone. when i first jumped on and didn't notice many other older civics i was a bit wary at joining but thought 'stuff it' so did and you have been full of praise and stories. so thanks.
even as a stock car, it surprises a lot of people. raced an mx-5 through traffic one day between eastern creek and penrith hospital and i won :) i think i just knew my car better though. i'd love to make it the ultimate sleeper :D

miffers
24-07-2006, 10:01 PM
My brother and my dad are just about finished fixing up a 1st Gen 75 Civic 4 door sedan that we've got. It was my mum's first car, my brothers first car and my first car also, I think it rocks. The old cars were definately made to last. I hope I can say that someday about the 8th Gen civic that I've ordered. (probably not though...)

yellow beast
14-12-2006, 03:56 PM
I have been super quiet on here cos it was starting to get me down that my car was at the mechanics. When i got her back she wasn't the same. Alittle bit of TLC (and reattching some important leads) she is getting back to form.

A while back it was mentioned that differences between the 1st and 2nd gens was the positioning of the passenger side mirror. I don't have one and never have...

Miffers, got any pics of the civic you mentioned?

SINISTR
14-12-2006, 04:34 PM
fantastic - welcome!

everything i wanted to say was pretty much said - good luck with the car :)

14-12-2006, 04:47 PM
theres a 2G civic in NSW, pretty sure its b16a but also turbo'd
plates is [PWR2W8]
that thing would haul ass

hondamatic is the best!
the early model accord/prelude have them as well... my uncle had a the accord.. brings back memories

I remember a gold color one ( i cant remember what yr) around parra in NSW, i had a chat to the bloke and had a look under the bonnet, had a b16a out of a crx and a bolt on turbo, white interior, i cant remeber the plates, i wonder if its is the same, i havent seen it since tho.

Yellow Beast, hope she gets back to her best! i think i seen ya out penrith way!