PDA

View Full Version : Worth Buying a Helmet

funkdr
04-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Hey guys,

Starting to get the urge to go track my car and just want to start on the right foot

is it worth buying a helmet?

and whats a good price did a google search and came up with prices between $100 and $1500 how much have u guys spent i wont by a cheapo cause i have had a mate go though brain surgery and thats nerve racking so buying a helmet is putting a price on my brain even my life any comments would be great.

Where have u bought them in Sydney.

Cheers

chunky
04-07-2006, 12:38 AM
well if your willing to take the risk of trashing your car then i think you should buy a helmet for urself aswell
prices well i got mine for $250 actually a motorbike helmet
got a big tiger on it and everything

dc2dc2dc2
04-07-2006, 12:40 AM
big tiger protects u more yeh ?

anywayz...i rekon just borrow a mates helmet.

vtec_jet
04-07-2006, 12:42 AM
bike helmet, from kmart for only 10 bux ... and u get to keep it ;)

chunky
04-07-2006, 12:45 AM
lol plus very good protection

funkdr
04-07-2006, 12:50 AM
big tiger protects u more yeh ?

anywayz...i rekon just borrow a mates helmet.
Yeah a mate has one but its so small (or i have a fat head)

yfin
04-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Motorbike helmets need to met Australian standards for safety so don't believe it when people say you need to spend big bucks on a helmet. You are buying more features and comfort rather than safety. Just don't buy a second hand helmet.

You can get a strictly motor racing helmet with a smaller view cut out resulting in a stronger helmet - but these are illegal for use on a motor cycle if you can see yourself on a bike occassionally. Motor racing helmets are quite expensive (over $500 from what I have seen).

What sort of racing do you plan on doing? You should speak to the relevant association as they may have rules on what is required.

aaronng
04-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Bike helmet from the big bike accessories shop at Parra. $70 I think.

supernatural
04-07-2006, 01:28 AM
if u're planning to go tracking on a regular basis once every 3months... then i would suggest u to get a helmet... your very own personal helmet :) just go to a motorbike shop... there should be some decent helmet available... i think anton(newbie) paid around 150 for his helmet... its a good looking helmet too...very comfy... :)

get a helmet that is an approved design - Australian Standard AS1698, and you'll be alright... :) best to get one of the right size that fits your head rather then borrowing ur mates helmet which is uncomfortable and might be a hazzard or distracting to you while tracking...

im sure u'll be happy with owning a helmet if u go circuit racing often... :)

zco
09-07-2006, 10:33 PM
buying a helmet.

bike helmets and car helmets differ due to ONE MAIN REASON. FIRE PROOF. go buy a bike helmet if u dont think it'll catch on fire. saves you lots of money

using your friends helmet may be abit smelly. its almost like. borrowing his gym gloves, or his socks. think about that .
when buying a helmet, try it on with out any gel products, it'll feel more comfy. ALSO, remember to remov any piercings you have on the head. ears nose chin eyebrow rings.. whatever. it'll leave your face with a few dents if u leave them on LOL .

trying on the helmet for THE FIRST TIME should be a TIGHT fit. not tight enuf to cut out criculation. but it shouold be really tight. after a few times of wearing it, your head should mould into the padding, and it'll be alrite.

if you buy a helmet that just fits, when you drive, the helmet moves around alot, and you can fock up your vision of the track

just my 2cents . cheers

TIP : whn you try on the helmet, use your 2 hands to hold the straps OUT SIDE the helmet, wedge them outwards, and then squish your tiny head in. dont leave the straps hanging, you'll know why when you do it haha

Spunkymonkey
10-07-2006, 01:25 PM
There is a helmet warehouse on hume hwy yagoona - has huge range all different prices depending on your budget...at the S bends on the left if heading west.

tRipitaka
10-07-2006, 01:28 PM
use a stackhat..

it really depends how much you're going to track..

is it justifiable spending $100+ if you're going to track once ?

aaronng
10-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Get your own helmet. Even the cheapest ones which are AS approved. Don't ever remove the AS label from the rear of the helmet. You don't need to get super expensive bike helmets because in the case of an accident on the track, the force on your helmet is less than if you fell off your bike. With regards to having a fireproof helmet, if you want to go that route, you should also get fireproof clothing, socks, shoes and gloves... Not cheap though. If you use a fireproof helmet with normal clothing, then you're just wasting your money.

turtleEK1
11-07-2006, 07:38 PM
i got a pretty good open face motorbike helmet from cash converters (second hand shop) for about $100. AS approved. have to wear it at track... so worth getting dude!

11-07-2006, 08:06 PM
if u're planning to go tracking on a regular basis once every 3months... then i would suggest u to get a helmet... your very own personal helmet :) just go to a motorbike shop... there should be some decent helmet available... i think anton(newbie) paid around 150 for his helmet... its a good looking helmet too...very comfy... :)

my helmet is worth $150 or so

but i got it for $80-$90 from memory.

just make sure you get one that is suited to your head shape and not to loose or deadly tight.

aaronng
11-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Ooops, dont' buy 2nd hand! You don't know if it has been dropped. Once dropped, the helmet should be thrown away.

Mine was brand new, $70 from the bike accessory shop at parramatta.

11-07-2006, 09:05 PM
DEFINATELY AGREE!! i wouldnt buy 2nd hand helmet unless you know the person like a brother! ...

yer the shop in parra thats HUGE! and yellow.. MCA or something like that.

you dont need the best $$$$ helmet for track, its more important if you actually ride a motorbike.

aaronng
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
DEFINATELY AGREE!! i wouldnt buy 2nd hand helmet unless you know the person like a brother! ...

yer the shop in parra thats HUGE! and yellow.. MCA or something like that.

you dont need the best $$$$ helmet for track, its more important if you actually ride a motorbike.
Yup, MCA, that's the one. My matt black helmet (apache gunship style) cost only $70 new!

shinji112
11-07-2006, 09:30 PM
my mate went to MCA in liverpool on saturday.. picked up a helmet for $60 sweet as! they're having a sale now.. but dunno how long it will last