PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit, Bang for buck

Dray_Templar
04-07-2006, 09:41 AM
hi guys,
was wondering if you Audio Guru's could give me some advice, on head units that other great bang for buck.

looking at the $200 to $350 range but may go higher if value for money.

anway could you list your opionion on head units for me, best to worst.
eg.

1. Kenwood, model 1234asdf, price ~$230 - not actual models only an example
2. Fussion, model asdf1234, price ~$270 - not actual models only an example
3. Kenwood, model ZXCvv, prince ~$340 - not actual models only an example
etc..

(just ruff ball park prices would be handy)

What i would like to set up in car,
2x front not sure what size yet,
2x rear 6"-9"
2x 12" sub
2x 4 channle amps

1 amp to run front and rear, other amp to run subs. or better configration if recommended. (open to suggestions and recommedations)

Would like somthing with USB input has anyone had any expience with this yet?

would i be able to plug a laptop into the USB port, on the head unit.

Has anyone hooked up a laptop/PC to there incar sound system.

anway any help would be great guys.

Mattski_VTIR
04-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm not overly fumiliar with the headunits you suggested so can not offer advice on those particular units. Its also depends on the system you plan on running from the headunit. More then 1 amplifier? Subs? etc. I have always been abig fan of Alpine headunits. With out knowing what u plan to do with your system, its hard to offer a headunit to suit. It is possible to link AUX input as well as IPOD Adapters to the current line of alpine headunits. Slightley higher end models (around the $400/450) come with highspeed ipod link, 3 RCA outputs and 4v pre-outs. Alpine also offer a system for connecting other USB mp3 players to 06 headunits although i havent seen it personally. It would be possible to connect your laptop via the AUX input, although u would not have control over track/playlist via the headunit (only volume) It really depends on what u want to do, as to wether or not u need the extra functions.
Cheers

Dray_Templar
04-07-2006, 11:26 AM
thanks Mattski_VTIR.

have edited the post above with a few more details. not intersted in ipod connectivity. have a kick arss laptop, for my music where i need it.

It would be possible to connect your laptop via the AUX input--- sweet thanks for that, was thinking of making up a mount in boot for laptop (shock abosrtion), and getting a touck screen to hook up in the front for it. so that could work, would courtol, track etc, via touch screen, and volume via head unit, and touch screen :)

so basicall need head unit, that has the AUX input, and will hook up well to 2 amps. would also be cool if it had wma/mp3 for the mates that bring along there own music :P

destrukshn
04-07-2006, 11:28 AM
with AUX input, you can't control your songs from your head unit.

Mattski_VTIR
04-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Lots of people at the moment seem to be installing laptops/computers into there cars (also know as a "Carputer") There are some good forums with plenty of DIY's and info, try searching google or car audio asutralia. As said before you will have to control tracks songs from your touch screen, and volume from headunit. Most desent headunits these days come with MP3/WMA compatability. Severaly headunits come with an AUX input built in, others (like alpine) require a small cable. Good luck everything,

Dray_Templar
04-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Mattski_VTIR thanks for the key search word (also know as a "Carputer"), is anyone elss interstest in the carputer subject?

if there is i will post some info and links when i come across some good stuff.

thanks again guys, huge help.

+rep point coming up for Mattski_VTIR

Mattski_VTIR
04-07-2006, 11:57 AM
No probs!! :thumbsup:

stanleym
05-07-2006, 09:10 AM
ig ot the jvc-kd avx1 man i would looka t that 2 its a pretty dam good headunit plays dvd etc only down size is u cant fast forwared through the mp3 and wma songs when playing but thats is all.... good thing about it is u can burn on to dvd cds so at the moment i have in excess of 1000 songs with more space left on the dvd... i paid 700 about 2-3 months ago should be cheaper now

also u said u will want 2x 4ch amps
i would go with 1 nice mono block to power your subs and get the other 4channel for the speakers

Dray_Templar
05-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks stanleym, thats probable a better way to do the subs thanks mate :P

i will check out that HU sounds great thanks mate :)

Fr3aKi3
05-07-2006, 11:59 AM
The avx1 should've dropped in price since the avx2 has been released. The JVC G615 was a bfyb hu but i think that's been replaced aswell.

If you aren't loaded with cash and can get all the gear you want all in one go, don't compromise. It's much better off to build the system in stages (with quality gear) than get it all done in one go (with average equipment). As stanleym said, instead of getting two 4 channel amps just get one and a mono block for the sub. You may possibly consider 3 channel amps and not worry about amping the rears speakers at all since you are sitting at the front and not in the back.

I'm still saving up for a monoblock so currrently i've only got a single 4 channel amp. 2 channels run the front splits, the other 2 channels are bridged to drive my sub and the rears are run off the headunit. I'm more than happy with it and passengers don't complain that they dont get any sound at the back either.