PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question??

my_honda
04-07-2006, 10:21 AM
hey guys,

just wanna know if there is any problems with taking out the stock resonator from the stock S2K exhaust????

I like the sound of the s2k, but i wanna get a little more but not going for a full exhaust system. I thought maybe taking out the resonator would make it a bit more louder.

Has anyone done this before????

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

ROLLED
04-07-2006, 03:05 PM
i dont know about that, but u can try taking the stock air box lid off for a bit more sound...it's actually quite a good sound, but only audible in the car after 3-4k rpm.

Though if you feel that it bogs down a bit more in hot weather then its not ur mind, it actually does. upto you!

CUL8R
04-07-2006, 03:11 PM
if u take it out there will be more a droning type sound. it can get very annoying and at times does hurt lol
you dont want to just take it out tho, ull have to replace it with a 'hot dog' type resonator instead, u still might get the droning

WhiteAP1
04-07-2006, 08:32 PM
IMO its probably not best to start cutting up OEM parts.I thought about doing this a while ago but in the end i went with a new exaust system. This is from S2ki.com from someone who has done this.....

"Ok so I actually had someone else rev the engine for me and do some drive bys. On second observation it was a mistake to remove the resonator. I don't suggest this to anyone. It basicly took the quiet and subtle engine sound that it was before and made it sound like a bit of an angry bumble bee. So after all that it's not a big deal. It doesn't sound bad but it does have a bit of a raspy quality to it. A bit more rice. I will be changing it within the next few months to something that sounds decent. For right now I will have to deal with it.

"http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=305966&hl=stock+resonator

hondaboy
05-07-2006, 05:29 PM
What about removing the cat?
Any different to power or exhaust tone?

WhiteAP1
05-07-2006, 07:34 PM
u could replace the cat with a test pipe, but EPA man might have something to say about it. Most ppls impressions are that there are next to no gains to be made, (3hp max) the car smells, (fumes) sounds like ure running a fart can, and most likely, u'll throw a CEL. I put one on my car one night and drove around for about 15mins (i know not exactly scientific) It wouldnt be fair to comment on performance as the ECU wouldnt have adjusted (i felt none) and i really couldnt live with the sound. I think, "excel with a cannon" was thrown a round a bit, but up top sounded pretty nice.

A few others have been happy with this mod, FI and NA applications, but again other ppl with similar setups reported no gains. If u want the car to be louder for minmum $$$, take the lid off the air box as ROLLED mentioned,it works and its free. Just keep heat soak in mind,.

ROLLED
06-07-2006, 12:48 AM
hey whiteAP1, how loud was it with the test pipe? do you know of any sound clips, ie. test pipe & stock exhaust?

Im thinking about removing the resonator now, because i love the rasping rough sound that some cars like the M3 make...if that is indeed the sound that it makes.

WhiteAP1
06-07-2006, 03:49 PM
It was too loud. Thats the only way i could describe it. Droning,overbearing and no good for daily driving. But thats just me.

Im not sure if there are any sound clips of the resonatorectomy. Have a look through S2ki.com. I think "angry bumble bee" somes it up nicely.Try it,if u dont like it weld the OEM one back on.

toE
06-07-2006, 06:58 PM
ROFL@resonatorectomy :D Good one!!

ROLLED
06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
yeah i dont like the idea of smelling exhaust fumes everytime u stop at a light either, i might give thise whole resonator removal thing a go...just have to find a decent shop to do it now!

WhiteAP1
06-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Its not that hard to do, MR MUFFLER could do a job like this.Just decide on what ud like to replace the stock resonator with. But just think about it, do u really want ure car sounding like a civic with a 4' cannon. U've gone and spent the extra $$$ to buy an S2000, just save up,take ure time and buy a proper exhaust. That was the reasoning that stoped me from going ahead with this. just my 2c

WhiteAP1
06-07-2006, 11:30 PM
goes without saying, but let us know how u go

BRU51N
07-07-2006, 02:01 AM
yeah i dont like the idea of smelling exhaust fumes everytime u stop at a light either, i might give thise whole resonator removal thing a go...just have to find a decent shop to do it now!

and maybe hook us up with some sound/video clips after u complete the mod. would like to hear what it sounds like.

ROLLED
07-07-2006, 02:23 AM
Its not that hard to do, MR MUFFLER could do a job like this.Just decide on what ud like to replace the stock resonator with. But just think about it, do u really want ure car sounding like a civic with a 4' cannon. U've gone and spent the extra $$$ to buy an S2000, just save up,take ure time and buy a proper exhaust. That was the reasoning that stoped me from going ahead with this. just my 2c

do you think it will be that bad, like a civic with a 4" cannon? i'll see how much it is to get done etc and see how we go but if the price is cheap enough i'll give it a shot.

WhiteAP1, you bought the fujitsubo didn't you? Do you think its possible to show me the exhaust in real life sometime since your in melb too? let me know thanks!

ROLLED
07-07-2006, 11:26 AM
I found some more threads

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219313&st=0&#entry4178346

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=224521

ROLLED
07-07-2006, 11:52 AM
seems like everyones happy with the mod on s2ki from what i've found, i gave daalder exhaust in box hill a call today and got quoted $40, so im going to get it done at 2pm!

T-onedc2
07-07-2006, 12:08 PM
hey guys,

just wanna know if there is any problems with taking out the stock resonator from the stock S2K exhaust????

I like the sound of the s2k, but i wanna get a little more but not going for a full exhaust system. I thought maybe taking out the resonator would make it a bit more louder.

Has anyone done this before????

Any help would be great.

Cheers.
I'd avoid removing the resonator as you'll get some nasty sounds emerging. I'd recommend finding a good quality Japanese "street" muffler (2 mufflers actually for S2K) from a company like Spoon/Tanabe/Fujitsubo etc, could be around $1k for each muffler but well worth it for the sound quality.

ROLLED
07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
sounds videos:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=355886

Well it's been said that as long as the welds are complete with no gaps you won't get any civic ricer sounds, just more midrange and a little bit at idle which is awesome i reckon, will post results in a few hours anyways :)

BRU51N
07-07-2006, 12:54 PM
doesnt sound like the sound changes to me.. sounds almost the same, just the idle is a tad different.

the after clip the camera is actually closer as well... i guess for $40 it an alright mod, u get a beefier sound on idle

ROLLED
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
the car needs a beefier idle to set it apart from camrys and so on!

WhiteAP1
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
yeah the fujitsubo is nice and quiet, only one DB louder than stock at idle, and pretty good up top. I had a custom cat and cannon set up B4(with 2.5' mild steel in between), it was nice and loud, probably alot closer to the sound u want. Not too much power difference between that and my fujitsubo, just a smother power curve, and no bog down bottom.(But sometimes i miss that 9k rpm scream) Mild steel costs nothing u could probably make a new exhaust for around $400. I'll even throw in a resonator

ROLLED
08-07-2006, 04:43 AM
yep so i had the resonator taken out today, took like 20 mins to have it cut out then have a 2.5" pipe welded over it and then have the welds sprayed with high temp paint.

Honestly it's a little bit louder mid range, and slightly louder then stock at idle, but the difference isn't noticable for people who don't, or haven't been in, a s2000...i paid $44 ($40 if it was cash) but it's not nearly as loud as i expected or wanted.

Personally though im not into the whole civic with a 4" cannon sound, i'm more into rougher/raspy sounds(M3) or burbles like rotory engines produce, i also drive my car daily so i dont want something overbearing...with the resonator removed the engine does still take over the sound at vtec.

BRU51N
08-07-2006, 11:25 AM
yep so i had the resonator taken out today, took like 20 mins to have it cut out then have a 2.5" pipe welded over it and then have the welds sprayed with high temp paint.

Honestly it's a little bit louder mid range, and slightly louder then stock at idle, but the difference isn't noticable for people who don't, or haven't been in, a s2000...i paid $44 ($40 if it was cash) but it's not nearly as loud as i expected or wanted.

Personally though im not into the whole civic with a 4" cannon sound, i'm more into rougher/raspy sounds(M3) or burbles like rotory engines produce, i also drive my car daily so i dont want something overbearing...with the resonator removed the engine does still take over the sound at vtec.

ooo hit up some sound/video clips of outside and inside the car.

WhiteAP1
08-07-2006, 05:01 PM
im not into the whole civic with a 4" cannon

its good to know ;)

ROLLED
08-07-2006, 05:28 PM
i have a sound clip, its like 7mb...i'll upload it then post it up.