PDA

View Full Version : Cat sensor.. what to do with cat replacement?

Dxs
04-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Basically I have aftermarket headers and catback exhaust. And the cat is still the stock unit so it needs replacing.

However there seems to be a sensor into the stock cat. I hear it is an o2 sensor? Now i plan to change it with a high flow cheap cat like xforce.

Now what do i do with the sensor? Do i cut it and remove it? Is there somewhere i can mount it near the new cat?

If i remove it will my ecu try to compensate and make the car run crap or in some restricted mode?

I own a EF8 Crx '90 b16a

Dxs
04-07-2006, 04:30 PM
oh well.. for others who search and find this thread:

went and got the cat done just then anyway
looks as though they have put the sensor behind the cat on the piping

CRXer
04-07-2006, 07:05 PM
You dont need the sensor,all it does is light up the warning light(cat lookin symbol) on the cluster,has nothing to do with the ecu,its a JDM thing.
For what reason it lights up,i dont know,i've heard varying reasons from,not wanting to park over flammable objects cos your cat is still hot to maybe the japs arent allowed to drive until cat is warmed up properly & workin efficiently,who knows???

maracer
04-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I think that the high-flow-cat would have a mount for the o2 sensor!

ECU-MAN
05-07-2006, 11:29 PM
You dont need the sensor,all it does is light up the warning light(cat lookin symbol) on the cluster,has nothing to do with the ecu,its a JDM thing.
For what reason it lights up,i dont know,i've heard varying reasons from,not wanting to park over flammable objects cos your cat is still hot to maybe the japs arent allowed to drive until cat is warmed up properly & workin efficiently,who knows???

:thumbsup: ....

Dxs
06-07-2006, 12:39 AM
thanks for that guys..

so it is just some jdm wank..
well the sensor is still there behind the new cat.. never seen it come on before though

so removing it would do nothing.. if removed the light would never come on then?

CRXer
06-07-2006, 12:53 AM
If u remove,light will not come on but wire will be live,so tape it up good or to be even surer just take bulb out of back of cluster to isolate the wire,very easy to do,just pop hood off cluster(4 screws) & remove cluster(4 screws) then pull out bulb & put all back together.

saxman
06-07-2006, 04:57 AM
I'm pretty sure if you just ground the wire out at the sensor(just splice the two wires going to the sensor together), it'll register as all is well, and you won't get the cat warning light on.

stocky
06-07-2006, 09:49 AM
If u remove,light will not come on but wire will be live,so tape it up good or to be even surer just take bulb out of back of cluster to isolate the wire,very easy to do,just pop hood off cluster(4 screws) & remove cluster(4 screws) then pull out bulb & put all back together.

It will only have one wire coming out. If there is an open circuit in that wire, the light on the dash will come on. Just ground it to the chassis to get rid of that light.

Klayemore
06-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Holy crap. That cat sensor light has been pissin me off for ages - was thinkin of replacing my cat - so all I have to do is remove the sensor? Cheers guys!

Limbo
07-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah its not required, some people just weld up the hole. In Japan its also to test if you have a cat operating and not a straight thru pipe