PDA

View Full Version : Ohm???

Int3gra-T
04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
im a noob in car audio stuff so can someone explain the hole..
4 OHM or 2 OHM situation??

what do they mean???

jdm_kid
04-07-2006, 02:39 PM
http://www.lalena.com/audio/faq/wiring/
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=163

its too technical, go to a professional (car audio store) and get them to help u out much easier, they will point u in the right direction, also will help u build up a proper audio system etc

matt
04-07-2006, 02:53 PM
there pretty good links.
simply ohms are a measure of impedance the lower the number the lower the impedance (resistance) in the speaker.
if you put a 2ohm speaker on an amp desgined for 8ohm it can output much more power and you will cook the amp, i guess think of it like going past the rev limiter on you car, it will still work but not for long.

Int3gra-T
04-07-2006, 02:59 PM
man that stuff is too intence.
lol
i still dont get it.
*sigh*

Dray_Templar
04-07-2006, 03:03 PM
It's All about ohms law..

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

but yeah, resistance matching is great idea, to get best performance.

basically, if you amp is rated at 4ohms, then you should hook up 4ohm speakers to it, thats it in a nut shell (or hook up 2x 2ohm speakers in series) i may of got that last bit wrong, been some years since i did electronics.

iket
05-07-2006, 12:07 PM
It can be a bit tricky with resistance, but this I know about from my trade. Basically if you connect two 4ohm speakers in series, you add them together [4+4] and get a 8 ohm load. If you connect them in parallel though, you divide the resistance of the speaker by the number of speakers, so long as they're all the same resistance. [4/2] This will give you a 2 Ohm load. It is very important that you match your speaker and amplifier resistances, otherwise you may blow a brand new amp! :(

Q_ball
05-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Its physics my friend...all about the e=mc2 :p

CUL8R
05-07-2006, 12:45 PM
It can be a bit tricky with resistance, but this I know about from my trade. Basically if you connect two 4ohm speakers in series, you add them together [4+4] and get a 8 ohm load. If you connect them in parallel though, you divide the resistance of the speaker by the number of speakers, so long as they're all the same resistance. [4/2] This will give you a 2 Ohm load. It is very important that you match your speaker and amplifier resistances, otherwise you may blow a brand new amp! :(
not always that easy
the law goes
1/Rtotal = 1/R + 1/R ..... ect.
so if u connect 1 2ohm and 1 4ohm u got
1/R = 1/2 + 1/4
1/R = 3/4
Rtotal = 4/3

Q_ball
05-07-2006, 12:52 PM
not always that easy
the law goes
1/R = 1/2 + 1/4
1/R = 3/4
Rtotal = 4/3
+1 rep to u for spinning the shit outta me LOL
well done :p

CUL8R
05-07-2006, 12:53 PM
lol yeah all my years of physics have come to some use!!! hoorah! lol

sorry just to clarify that 1/R law is for parallel.
if connected in series just add the resistance

Int3gra-T
05-07-2006, 01:02 PM
after all these posts..
i still have no blardy clue
lol

CUL8R
05-07-2006, 01:09 PM
u want to know a secret....neither do i lol...i know the theory and thats it lol
its been a few years since i did this but i can try

from what i know using physicsi can try and explain it.
Voltage lost over a resistance is V=IR where I is current (current will be constant)
With a larger resistance ull lose a larger voltage.

Power loss = I Vloss = I^2 R
so with a larger resistance ull have a larger power loss.

in THEORY u dont want to lose the power if u can avoid it. but they also do have minimum resistance settings so to not blow up, hence different fuses must be used in various applications.

Q_ball
05-07-2006, 01:12 PM
after all these posts..
i still have no blardy clue
lol
Its situations like this where u leave it to the pros or to someone that knows what it all means :)
Reps to you for even trying to understand it hehe.

dc2dc2dc2
05-07-2006, 01:13 PM
ohm = one hot momma

that is all.

micka
05-07-2006, 01:30 PM
It's probably hard to understand on it's own, I highly reccommend you familiarise yourself with the basics of electricity. What constitutes a circuit, all about electrons, volts, voltage, current... it will be a lot easier if you get a basic understanding of all of these.

Basically Ohms are a mesure of resistance to current flow. The Higher the resistance the lower the current flow.

In a car audio sense generally the lower the resistance the higher the power, the trade off being lowered damping factor (cone control) and amps will generally run a bit hotter with lower resistance.

Have a look through www.bcae1.com and you should be able to get plenty of useful information on the basics of in car electronics.

Int3gra-T
05-07-2006, 02:36 PM
i figured it out...
EASY.........

take amp to car audio installer...
get sub...
ask to install
and pay money...

seems a lot more simplier...

Eclipsor
05-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Well the thing is. You don't really need to understand how electrons interact to know how to install a car stereo. I think it would be a lot less overwhelming if you simply did research on stereo installs rather than trying to understand what an ohm is or voltage or any of the other foundations of electronics.

You really shouldn't need to pay someone money to hook up your stereo. Just do a bit more research, take your time and you should be fine.

iket
06-07-2006, 04:48 PM
not always that easy
the law goes
1/R = 1/2 + 1/4
1/R = 3/4
Rtotal = 4/3

Yeah mate that's true but when are u going to connect a 2 ohm speaker in parallel with a 4 ohm speaker? I was just tryin to make it a bit easier... sorry!

PS. In an audio install you wouldn't get a significant amount of power loss due to resistance. [P=I^2 R] If you really want to be picky on your intall though, overcoming power loss will involve keeping your power and audio cables as short as possible, or upgrading the size of your cable diameter, or even both! Thus keeping resistances to a minimum.

s2ky_
07-07-2006, 10:19 AM
theres one method for everything!
trial and error :thumbsup:

Dray_Templar
07-07-2006, 10:49 AM
i figured it out...
EASY.........

take amp to car audio installer...
get sub...
ask to install
and pay money...

seems a lot more simplier...

best answer i've heard all thread.

But like it was said before good on you for asking the question and trying to understand the answers.

if you want to do abit of electronics, TAFE run a coarse that can give you understanding of the basics, get to build your own amp to :)

anyway good luck with the sounds system.