PDA

View Full Version : What to look out for when buying a del sol

del_la_sol
09-05-2004, 11:15 PM
hi all i am thinking of buying a del sol and i was just wondering if there was anything to watch out for in particular.

2ds
10-05-2004, 01:37 AM
check the seals and make sure they don't leak. they should be nice and fat and rubbery. after you buy it make sure you apply silicon grease to the seals every 5000km/s minimum (or once again your car will leak).

take it for a drive and see if the roof rattles. this isn't necessarily a bad thing but it annoys the crap out of some people (check teamdelsol.net to find a fix for it)

-2ds

Setanta
10-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Watch out for being disappointed you didn't get a real CRX :D:D:D:D

weezer
10-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Watch out for being disappointed you didn't get a real CRX :D:D:D:D

hehe Civic Utes :D

del_la_sol
10-05-2004, 01:15 PM
yeah thanks for ur help 2ds is there anything else anyone knows about? any major things? oh and setanta and weezer each to their own i actually like the look of em and at least they come with a real honda engine. thats is a del sol would smoke any d series equipped crx. that is i hope hehe. :D :D :D

Setanta
10-05-2004, 06:24 PM
LOL - my Civic came with that same Honda engine, as did the EF8 CRX... just 4 years befor the Del Slow's came out :D

BTW - you do know that the Aussie clayton's-rex lost the extra 10bhp that the Japanese spec had? ;)

BTW - I'm not knocking your choice... well... apart from the fact that the EF8 would smoke it :P:P:P

2ds
10-05-2004, 06:29 PM
If you're in melbourne i'd be happy to come take a look at any car you thinking of buying.

sentana: nothing a bit of tuning can't fix =)

-2ds

del_la_sol
10-05-2004, 11:42 PM
i said a d series equipped crx as i already know the b series equipped ones are faster. any way how many 2nd gen crxs out there actually have a b series engine? :P

like 2ds said nuthin a bit of tuning can't fix.

as for my choice no offence but imo i think the 2nd gen crxs were designed from a tissue box. :D

thanx for ur offer 2ds but i'm in queensland.
by the way u know the seals u were talking about which seals were they.

cheers

2ds
11-05-2004, 09:16 AM
all of the seals =)

you will understand when you have a look at the car. but particularly where the windows touch the roof.

-2ds

del_la_sol
11-05-2004, 02:29 PM
ok no worries. thanx

sesshoumaru
11-05-2004, 03:34 PM
just check all the usual things you would when buying any car... but there isnt really much to worry about with hondas in general...

make sure the clutch/brake cylinders arn't leaking...!

McChook
11-05-2004, 07:32 PM
i said a d series equipped crx as i already know the b series equipped ones are faster. any way how many 2nd gen crxs out there actually have a b series engine? :P

How do you know??? I can;t tell from the outside

I don't have a Problem with the Gen 3 CRX, but I personally think the EF8 CRX SiR is a much better car in everyway, and can be imported now for about $11,000 landed, complied and rego'd. Having driven both, I can say that the EF8 is FAR superior car compared to the AUDM 3rd Gen CRX

del_la_sol
11-05-2004, 08:52 PM
thanx sesshoumaru.

thats far enough in your opinion and your right i wouldn't know. i guess i just don't like the look of gen 2s. but thats only my opinion.

thanx for ur thoughts/opinions anyway though. ;)

Setanta
12-05-2004, 07:54 AM
There are more than a few gen 2 SiRs in the country as grey imprts - plus the '89s just meet the under 15 year rule :)

sess: 6K to import, 2K tops compliance and rego.

del_la_sol
12-05-2004, 09:15 AM
thanx for the heads up but i started a poll on what eveyone thinks in terms of looks and performance and so far the gen 3s are ahead. :P

dvo73d
12-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Go the gen3s :)

FANATK
13-05-2004, 05:50 PM
gen3 kills a gen2 anyday in style and individuality!
maybe an SiR is quicker, the gen2 crx is too common and can be picked up for $5k - its looks and age are not to my taste at all!

i used to have a gen 3 crx, problems i had was between 95,000-140,000 when i owned it was:

brake master cylinder
clutch master cylinder
water pump
clutch replacement
front bearing in gearbox noisey - sold it with stuffed box
and my roof was noisey, silicone grease supposed 2 fix it what i heard...

but overall a good reliable car

never let me down or got me stranded, only got towed once coz i smashed my oil sump on a removed manhole on the road coz my car was 2 low i guess...

MR-VTEC
13-05-2004, 06:04 PM
yeah im wit you on dat one. :D

ECU-MAN
14-05-2004, 12:02 AM
look for water leaks above the ECU. the entire pasanger floor well will get drenshed in wet wether driving if your delsol has this particular (rare) problem.

MKI4EVA
14-05-2004, 12:13 AM
gen3 kills a gen2 anyday in style and individuality!
maybe an SiR is quicker, the gen2 crx is too common and can be picked up for $5k - its looks and age are not to my taste at all!

i used to have a gen 3 crx, problems i had was between 95,000-140,000 when i owned it was:

brake master cylinder
clutch master cylinder
water pump
clutch replacement
front bearing in gearbox noisey - sold it with stuffed box
and my roof was noisey, silicone grease supposed 2 fix it what i heard...

but overall a good reliable car

never let me down or got me stranded, only got towed once coz i smashed my oil sump on a removed manhole on the road coz my car was 2 low i guess...

yeh same issues with brake & clutch master cylinders.
many seem to have lining issues with the door trim.
and drivers side door lock ......that spot tends to be rusted with some i've seen out here.
lastly the driver side seat rail tends to have issues but that a common issue with older honda seat rails.

apart from that their an awesome car and with suspension u'd be grining from ear to ear on the twisties with the top down on a sunny afternoon.