PDA

View Full Version : taking a while to warm up

EGB16A
06-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Hey guys,

A friend pointed out to me the other day that my car takes quite a while to get to normal operating temperature. I realise its winter and all, but usually it isn't any different in summer.

My question is, does my thermostat play a large roll in how long my engine will take to get to normal operating temp? Also my aircon blows cold air, and eventually (even on the highest setting) it blows luke warm air.

My car has an integra radiator, if it makes any difference?

is there anything else i should look at?

cheers
Lloyd

Mr_will
06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Hey guys,

A friend pointed out to me the other day that my car takes quite a while to get to normal operating temperature. I realise its winter and all, but usually it isn't any different in summer.

My question is, does my thermostat play a large roll in how long my engine will take to get to normal operating temp? Also my aircon blows cold air, and eventually (even on the highest setting) it blows luke warm air.

My car has an integra radiator, if it makes any difference?

is there anything else i should look at?

cheers
Lloyd

your thermostat is integral to the time it takes warming up. i had exactly the same problem with my car, and it turned out that my thermostat was stuck open.

when your car is warming up, coolant simply flows around the block, until it reachs 78degrees, at which point the thermostat opens and the coolant flows through the radiator, and around the block too.

if your thermostat is open all the time, coolant will be flowing through the radiator from startup, and thus take far longer to reach normal operating temp.

my advice would be to change your thermostat, theyre relatively inexpensive, and it wont hurt even if thats not the problem

EGB16A
06-07-2006, 07:15 PM
your thermostat is integral to the time it takes warming up. i had exactly the same problem with my car, and it turned out that my thermostat was stuck open.

when your car is warming up, coolant simply flows around the block, until it reachs 78degrees, at which point the thermostat opens and the coolant flows through the radiator, and around the block too.

if your thermostat is open all the time, coolant will be flowing through the radiator from startup, and thus take far longer to reach normal operating temp.

my advice would be to change your thermostat, theyre relatively inexpensive, and it wont hurt even if thats not the problem

yeah true, thanks for the advice... what about the heater playing up?

[[d a n n y]]
06-07-2006, 07:41 PM
i'd say thermo stat..
dude ;) i got 1 for sale brand new :D

bennjamin
06-07-2006, 07:47 PM
thermostat is stuck open...having such a large mass of "cooling" area compared to the single core stock item too really dosent help.

Mr_will
06-07-2006, 08:34 PM
and as for your aircon...most likely needs a regas.

go to natrad or somewhere similar and theyll look at it. personally id go for removing the aircon altogether, but hey.

C_I_V_I_C
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
yes the thermo stat is sticking open

EGB16A
07-07-2006, 08:01 AM
and as for your aircon...most likely needs a regas.

go to natrad or somewhere similar and theyll look at it. personally id go for removing the aircon altogether, but hey.

its my heater that isn't working, my aircon is already removed.

Thanks for all the replys, definatly changing the thermastat. danny, does the one you have fit b16a?

Mr_will
07-07-2006, 08:47 AM
well the heater would be somewhat affected by the thermostat being open, but possibly not the only cause.

i'd check the hoses running to/from the heater for leaks after you change the thermostat, if it doesnt solve the problem entirely.

and all b series thermostats are the same :thumbsup:

Twincam16
07-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Definetly your thermostat:

Air is heated by passing through the radiator, if your thermostat is stuck & not letting enough hot water to pass through radiator, then you wont be getting much hot air inside the car. If your thermostat was running correctly, there would be a large amount of hot coolant in the radiator, the air passing through it will also be a lot warmer...

Hopefully this answers your questions...

VT3C
07-07-2006, 11:50 AM
havving the exact same problem in my EG/B16A.... takes AGES for the motor to get to operating temp and no heater goodness in the mornings till i get almost all the way to work.. I suspected thermostat, and now I hear it from others I know that's the problem.

+ rep given ;)

Limbo
07-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Could also be a coolant problem as if you don't get the right mix the coolant can affect the temp of the car's water temp.

Rem to change the coolant with some OEM stuff after then themostat is replaced. I had this problem before also.

bennjamin
07-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Could also be a coolant problem as if you don't get the right mix the coolant can affect the temp of the car's water temp.

Rem to change the coolant with some OEM stuff after then themostat is replaced. I had this problem before also.

The premixed Honda coolant (comes in 5-6 litre containers , there are two types , green mix and blue mix...) works out great :)

Limbo
07-07-2006, 04:21 PM
btw... i use Toyota coolant in my honda so i shouldn't talk. Its Red and its got an extra chemical called Benze.... something that protects the car.

Mr_will
07-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Definetly your thermostat:

Air is heated by passing through the radiator, if your thermostat is stuck & not letting enough hot water to pass through radiator, then you wont be getting much hot air inside the car. If your thermostat was running correctly, there would be a large amount of hot coolant in the radiator, the air passing through it will also be a lot warmer...

Hopefully this answers your questions...

not 100% sure on that explanation mate. if the thermostat is stuck open, you are getting coolant circulating through the radiator ALL the time, ie at startup when you dont want it to be.
in fact, the problem is that there is a large amount of COOL coolant in the radiator, when in fact you want the coolant to be circulating around the block.

the reason that the heater does not work when the car is cold is that the coolant is yet to circulate through the radiator, and thus no heat is being drawn from it

EuroDude
07-07-2006, 06:41 PM
hmz my EG takes quite a long time to warm up (more than 3 times longer than the Euro), but the thermistat seems to be working ok. The warmed-up temperature is at the normal position, just under the half way mark.

If the thermistat was stuck open, wouldnt the temp sit lower than normal when warmed up?

Mr_will
07-07-2006, 06:44 PM
hmz my EG takes quite a long time to warm up (more than 3 times longer than the Euro), but the thermistat seems to be working ok. The warmed-up temperature is at the normal position, just under the half way mark.

If the thermistat was stuck open, wouldnt the temp sit lower than normal when warmed up?

its possible but that wouldnt be a good way to diagnose it.
a better way would be to drive on the freeway once you have reached normal temp. if the temp drops once you get cruising at 100km/h or so, its a good indicator that the thermostsat is stuck open, because at these speeds there is enough airflow over the engine itself that thermostat should be closed, and thus no coolant circulating the radiator

EuroDude
07-07-2006, 06:51 PM
I see. Well if mine is indeed stuck open, at least it didnt get stuck closed this time lol... that wasn't fun at all.

Mr_will
07-07-2006, 06:52 PM
haha damn right, stuck open is far better.
changing thermostat is pretty easy, and i think someone here has a B series one for sale..DIY yo.

EuroDude
07-07-2006, 07:01 PM
yeh ive already replace it myself once, very easy to do.

If its faulty again then this is the second time in 250,000km.
Is it just me or do EG's have Thermostat, Distributor, and CV boot (RHS torn) issues?

EGB16A
08-07-2006, 04:29 PM
yeh ive already replace it myself once, very easy to do.

If its faulty again then this is the second time in 250,000km.
Is it just me or do EG's have Thermostat, Distributor, and CV boot (RHS torn) issues?

you couldn't be more correct! LOL

xtercii
11-07-2006, 10:24 AM
My gf’s em1 also takes aaaagggeees to heat up and it never reaches half way, the most is 1/3, is this also a thermostat problem?

BlitZ
11-07-2006, 11:22 AM
2 pages and 100 threads later..

Just unhook your radiator hose and pump water through it.. if water gets plums through then it must be stuck open..

its it plums back,.. then try again with engine started... then if it plums back again.. your thermo is fine.. remove it and change collant..

else replace both collant and thermo

Problem solved ;)

VT3C
11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
I am running Redline Water-Wetter (with water) as my coolant.. and when i initially changed from (OEM?) the original coolant, there was a slight drop in the 'operating temp' as indicated by my temp guage.. however I made this change to Water-Wetter before my B16 swap.

and mine takes AGES to warm up and if warm and cruising on the open-road, the temp guage will continue to drop.. however I did notice this started just before winter.. it was a noticable difference so I am assuming it's the thermostat.. but just wondering how say watter wetter may affect the thermostat's functionality.