PDA

View Full Version : starting the car

L-Plates
08-07-2006, 12:08 AM
hey guys....

im having problems with my EG....its a Gl(1.5 carby)
i can start the car when its cold, becuase the revs are still high when the car is cold but after a good run i turn the car of and try and start it again it wont start....because the car is warmer the revs are really low
i have to hold the iginition on for ages and push the accelerator all the way down...someitmes it may take around 15-20secs for it to kick in...and when it does eventually start the car idols way below 500rpm...nearly stalling so i need to hit the accelrator..

i originally thought it was my battery but its not...i just changed my oil and it still does it...

any help please...

WhiteAP1
08-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Its just the way a carby works. Try pumping the gas pedal repeatedly instead of holding it down

L-Plates
08-07-2006, 12:45 AM
but the problem has only been recent...
like past 2weeks or less...

iv had the car since march...
havent had any problems till this...

WhiteAP1
08-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Usually its the reverse. When its cold its harder to start, and it should be easier to start once its warm. Thats what my corolla use to do. If this was the case id contribute ure recent troubles to the current weather. Its got me stumped

L-Plates
08-07-2006, 10:22 AM
yeah its usually the other way around...
its annoying....

chunky
08-07-2006, 11:08 AM
aahh the good old breeze

iket
08-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Do you sit there and accelerate a bit when you start it the second time round? My corolla, a carby, would come close to stalling may times [especially when i pull out in front of trucks! :o ] but it always started and ran easier with the throttle on at start up.
Otherwise maybe use can bring up your idle speed? I guess it's probably sitting below 500rpm right now. If you bring it up to say 750ish it may alleviate the problem. But it will increase your fuel consumption if you do a lot of city driving.

L-Plates
08-07-2006, 11:18 PM
how do u set it.?

Nuttz
09-07-2006, 02:45 PM
maybe you need to get your carby serviced....
could be a faulty choke.
try cleaning it with some carby cleaner first and see how your go.

iket
09-07-2006, 09:11 PM
maybe you need to get your carby serviced....
could be a faulty choke.
try cleaning it with some carby cleaner first and see how your go.
Yeah carby cleaner is cheap... I'd go and do this first.
Setting the idle speed requires you to turn that small bolt near the throttle in the engine bay... although I'm not exactly sure where that would be in a civic.
Best bet... do the carby cleaner thang, and maybe see a mech.

L-Plates
09-07-2006, 10:01 PM
carby cleaner.!?!?
does it go in with ur engine oil.?

Nuttz
10-07-2006, 06:46 PM
does it go in with ur engine oil.?

hahaha

no. carby cleaner is a spray.

basically what you are going to have to do is remove the airfilter and spray the carby cleaner into the carby. Just drown the thing i reckon. move the throttle while you do it to so you can get into the carby better too..
when you start the car it may blow some smoke when its burning up the cleaner, it should clear after a minute or 2.

EK4R
10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
any1 know how to clean out the valve controller on the b18s? that could be your problem too. mine rev jumps when idle after a drive...