PDA

View Full Version : Common probelm with Civic Coupe EK or EJ8

tron07
08-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Anyone want to shed some lights here??

What to look out for, major service stuffs, etc???

FRANKENcivic
08-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Anyone want to shed some lights here??

What to look out for, major service stuffs, etc???
water leak that shows up under passenger floor mat = :wave: Im sure many civic owners agree with this???

Kandy
08-07-2006, 12:27 AM
i have no water leak thing and haven't heard anyone with that problem...
would have to say driverside window motor seems to be a common problem- where the rails miss-align and the motor falls out of place, rubber seizes up or something similar. seams in seats split. can't think of anything else to complain about.

zco
08-07-2006, 01:06 AM
never had waterleak.
i know windows wind up so ****ing slow. you gotta fix it after a while.
main problem is.. the car is too slow

DOHCTR Coopz!
08-07-2006, 01:11 AM
hey tron07, heres a few threads that might help u out since they are on same topic!
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20145&highlight=civic+coupe+problems
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7635&highlight=civic+coupe+problems
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13415&highlight=civic+coupe+problems

major common problem seems to be the power windows! i havent (or yet) had this problem..*touches big wood*
overall my experience with it for the past year, its been a very reliable car with no problems! :D

Qwooootz
08-07-2006, 08:03 AM
I gotta say power windows also!.. but spray abit of sonax dash spray on the rubber if its just the rubber if not what i did is i found that the actual door interior panel was not aligned or hooked on properly so i fixed that and the windows seems to be fine now.. :thumbsup:

I would also say sqeaking on the clutch after rain but this happens very irregularly.. and sqeaking on the back seats ;) on hard bumps.. and sometimes people find the passenger side door is abit of a struggle to open i think its just the rubber suction part.. not a biggies still opens just those people not use to heavy coupe doors.. :cool: hrmm if u have a sunroof sometimes it makes rattling noise but i guess thats wear and tair and again spray sonax stuff or press this bracket bit and its fine :p

this is all coming from an EM1 btw, never had any problems in the engine bay *heaven forbid* :D but yeah any problems are either interior, cosmetic or stoopid mods that were never suppose to be bought :thumbsup:

tron07
08-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks... looks like its pretty reliable car.... windows and squeeks are not really major can can be fixed. Water leak, thats a problem and it could rust the car out.

a 1996 Coupe is EJ8? What about EM1. How many type of coupe is there, and their equipment level? I have seen some that comes with sunroof.

00' coupe
08-07-2006, 03:43 PM
em1 is a 99 - 00 coupe. its a B16a DOHC vtec 118kw instead of a D16 SOHC vtec 93kw for the EJ...

Em1 has slightly different head and rear lights, doesnt have those big black molds around the car, slightly different colour interior... thats bout all i can think of at the moment.

Its pretty hard to find a good condition em1 let alone with a sunroof.

em1 came in only white, black, silver, red, and dark green.

there both good cars, only problem is they both have that bloody slow electric windows.

DOHCTR Coopz!
09-07-2006, 12:59 AM
EM1's dont come standard nor factory option sunroof, sum dealerships offered them as aftermarket option! i got a sunroof.. :D

AZ51LK
09-07-2006, 09:54 AM
hi i have an ej8 =) so do a couple of my mates. power windows and a squeaky clutch seems to be common.

another problem all of us had was being roasted by stock cv8s. im not too sure how to tackle that one though. ive talked to the dealership but they were baffled as well.

tron07
09-07-2006, 10:33 PM
What do you mean by roasted by stock cv8? cv8=civic? what civic, vtir? Loose to a civic in a drag or something??

I went and check out a 97 coupe today....
clutch was heavy and squeeky (probably need to be change)
gear shifter was vibrating too much for my liking (I think engine mountings gone)
driver windows is kinda shaky when nearing the top.
No service history.
Rims scratch, probably lousy driver curbing the curb while parking

Price 11K.
Probably need to replace the 14" rims with something 16" and lighter cause tires are lousy stuffs and looks kinda "hard" and worn.
Dont think this is a good deal anyway....

Anyway, I was wondering where should I get the car to be check? Any recomendation? Sydney area and not too far from CBD?? Or is NRMA good enough??

Any other paper/documents should I check or do before buying a car?

AZ51LK
09-07-2006, 11:03 PM
yeh. i was losing drag races to monaros. weird huh?

**Ghost**
09-07-2006, 11:14 PM
common problem wiht all EK hatches whether thy are aware of i r not is the rear trailing arm bushes wearing out about every 75000km.... these 2 rubber bushes take a large amount of pressure during cornering.

To actually replace, these require entire removal of the rear sussy assembly, is quite expensive to source parts too.

just so u know

tron07
10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Anyone can recomend me a place to get the car checked?

I had looked up Hanny but its kinda of far for me.... Any place near to Sydney CBD area would be great.

thebob
10-07-2006, 08:03 PM
I have a EJ and have the window problem. That has been the only factory problem with my car. New engine at the end of the month so its a new wave of problems now.

tron07
15-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Now waiting to see how the NRMA report comes out.... if there are no serious problems, then this car will be mine by the end of the month.

One thing I dislike is that there are no disc brake at the rear, drums... how un-fitting to have drums for the rear brakes.

kyle
15-07-2006, 12:49 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm white coupe! HOT!

oh with oem window visors!!!!! SO VIRGIN!

give to me now to molester with authentic JDM parts!!!!!

AZ51LK
15-07-2006, 01:36 PM
heheh f*ck kyle, tron07.

u need to give that ride to me so i can whack on altezzas and neons and maybe more than a few MUGEN stickers.

oh oh oh MUGEN seat belt pads too!!!

SCRAPN
15-07-2006, 02:49 PM
looks like mine when i bought it....oh how things change...lol

eKKy
15-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Looks almost exactly like mine. Should have colour-coded mirrors . .

And definitely need to change the wheels.

kyle
15-07-2006, 03:26 PM
needs OEM front lip

tron07
15-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Lol... the car will probably stay the way it is but will get sound sound deadening and some nice ICE stuffs.

lol.....
Mugen Sticker + 5bhp
Type R sticker + 5bhp
some DOHC sticker +5bhp
Huge GT wing + 10bhp
Big BBQ exhaust tip +10bhp

There already have 35 extra horsie already