PDA

View Full Version : Paint cracking from drilling holes?

Ru$kI
09-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi Guys

Just wondering...im gonna drill holes in my rear lip 2 fix it to the rear bumper.

If I drill the holes after the lip has been colour-coded...is there a chance the paint might crack in those spots? Or should I simply drill the holes first and colour code after?

funkdr
09-07-2006, 12:48 PM
dont believe me any more i told u last night:eek:

ok maybe u want a second opinion

EuroDude
09-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I drilled four 20mm holes in my euro's plastic bumper, it had no paint damage at all :thumbsup:

Although it may be a different story if you drill into fiberglass, as it can splinter easily.

But the lip is plastic yeh?

kyle
09-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Just use a really small drill bit first(0.5mm), then slowley step up in increments(drill size) until dezired width. Don't go the big bertha first or it might chew it up a bit.

Ru$kI
09-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Ye the lip is plastic. I was pretty much gonna do that newai...ie drill with small drill bit and then step em up till i reach the size of the screws

Just never done anything like this before so id rather make sure that i dun screw up the paint

aznpsuazn
10-07-2006, 04:05 AM
I would suggest that you have a sharp drill bit, not something that you have used to drill into your mums bathroom tiles. rest a piece of wood under the location that is to be drilled so that you dont warp the bumper as the drill is going into it. I would also suggest using gentle pressure and let the drill bit cut into the bumper - dont force it in.

|N|
10-07-2006, 04:51 AM
i drill holes on my rear lip after painted... no crack or nothing... just use a small drill to start with