PDA

View Full Version : Why the tape a cross on their headlights while tracking or circuiting.

chunky
09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
As the tittle suggests
Why?

chunky :wave:

faijai
09-07-2006, 01:26 PM
to stop the headlights from chipping, sometimes people tape up the whole headlight.

Zdster
09-07-2006, 01:37 PM
to stop the headlights from chipping, sometimes people tape up the whole headlight.

Sometimes they put tape across the entire front of the car. It is basically there to stop damage from rocks/debree.

CUL8R
09-07-2006, 01:47 PM
also will help for air drag.
if they put it around the headlights it usually in those tiny gaps that are there, at 150km/h + the drag from these small notches is noticable

bigjo5
09-07-2006, 01:59 PM
i thoguth it was when they crash or soemint it wouldnt shatter that bad lol

tRipitaka
09-07-2006, 02:00 PM
if you crash, it somewhat keeps the headlight intact..

last thing people want is glass on the track..

DOHCVTEC
09-07-2006, 02:04 PM
It keeps the Headlights on the cars
Sometimes under Hard Braking or more usually a minor collision it might come flying off under high g forces
My lights came flying forwards when i was hard braking before...
but then it was because something was loose :o

bennjamin
09-07-2006, 04:13 PM
if you crash, it somewhat keeps the headlight intact..

last thing people want is glass on the track..

as above :) Headlight glass breaks in nasty big chunks which cut up most things :(

Menthu Rae
09-07-2006, 04:23 PM
also will help for air drag.
if they put it around the headlights it usually in those tiny gaps that are there, at 150km/h + the drag from these small notches is noticable

Not trying to start a war or anything, but I don't agree with this. I worked for a company doing wind tunnel testing on buildings (www.windtech.com.au) for 9 months... and whilst I don't debate the fact that covering gaps will lower drag, it is by no means going to be noticeable.

You'd remove several magnitudes more drag by going for a sleeker side mirror design... but I don't see people regularly tracking their cars doing this? So... I somewhat doubt that people tape up the gaps with the intent of lowering drag.

I'd dare say you'd gain more time around the track by shedding 5kg of weight from the car (i.e. floor matts and not eating before going out for a run)

ek4-guy
09-07-2006, 04:34 PM
lol its a cams regulation so big pieces of glass are not left on the track if/when you go racing you will know biggest no-no is to leave anything on the track

saxman
09-07-2006, 06:19 PM
it's to prevent the lights from shattering during impact... keeps it together... has nothing to do with anything else. They don't fly off during braking, it isn't for drag reasons, etc

When the tape is applied to the front of the car, etc, it's to prevent paint damage, but on headlights it's for shatter resistance.

jackosimm
09-07-2006, 06:22 PM
all of the above are good reasons to do it lol

CUL8R
09-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Not trying to start a war or anything, but I don't agree with this. I worked for a company doing wind tunnel testing on buildings (www.windtech.com.au) for 9 months... and whilst I don't debate the fact that covering gaps will lower drag, it is by no means going to be noticeable.

You'd remove several magnitudes more drag by going for a sleeker side mirror design... but I don't see people regularly tracking their cars doing this? So... I somewhat doubt that people tape up the gaps with the intent of lowering drag.

I'd dare say you'd gain more time around the track by shedding 5kg of weight from the car (i.e. floor matts and not eating before going out for a run)

aiight ill believe u man :wave: some people i wouldnt but i respect u :)

chunky
10-07-2006, 04:33 PM
ok thx guys
rep for all

dan_lee
10-07-2006, 05:07 PM
it's to keep the rabbits out of china. too many rabbits in china.