PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke

g3vtir
09-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Hey guys,

i own a DC2 VTiR with only 118,000kms on the clock. Problem is i was driving in front of my bro and i stepped on the gas. Pretty much gunning it on entry into the M4 freeway. He told me that white smoke was coming out of my exhaust. Its oil burning right? or is it because im revving the engine too high (8k)? coz normal driving no smoke comes out.

dc2dc2dc2
09-07-2006, 05:05 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37780&highlight=white+smoke

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23638&highlight=white+smoke

those 2 might help...but remember...SEARCH IS UR BEST FRIEND BUDDY ! don't be slack. :)

DC2108
09-07-2006, 05:42 PM
hahahahhahahahha .... funnii pplz
white smoke i dont think it oil man !
but im not sure lolz

bennjamin
09-07-2006, 05:49 PM
white condensation is normal if a car is warming up or if its quite a cold day...some people mistaken this as "smoke".
Did the "smoke" dissapate straight away or hang around ?!

g3vtir
09-07-2006, 05:49 PM
ok i dont think its any of those 2 threads you mentioned DC2DC2, i have checked the oil cap, no sign of milky sludge (sign of head gasket screwed), and im not really losing oil so it can't be oil.

smoke doesnt come out at all during normal driving or lightly accelerating...it only blows smoke during hard acceleration.

g3vtir
09-07-2006, 05:56 PM
ok it cant be condensation, i have been driving for a good 20min before i entered the freeway... its weird coz the engine is only 118000kms and i only drive it twice a month..ands its normally just to buy milk or pick up a dvd...i do vtec it often, but could the engine/headgasket be worn out already?

z3lda
09-07-2006, 06:56 PM
piston rings might be gone. check ur compression

BrendanR
09-07-2006, 06:57 PM
does it consistently blow "white smoke" when u gun it hard? or was it once off?

1900-hustler
09-07-2006, 07:49 PM
i always thought that was normal .. ie wen u hit it, it blasts smoke out of the exhaust cos its jus burning more fuel.. cos i kno that happens to my old car and it used to give off heaps of black smoke haha cos i was running rich lol..

but if thers no smoke wen ur normally driving. i dont think its anything

ACTI0NMAN-1
10-07-2006, 01:40 PM
usually if the smoke lingers its oil; if it dissipates quickly its water/collant/steam

g3vtir
10-07-2006, 04:39 PM
thanks for the info guys. Might have to get my bro to drive behind me again and see if it lingers or its just during peak revs before shifting. Otherwise i'll just take it to Hanny's

spanks
11-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Does the engine misfire on start up?Pull all the plugs out and check to see that they are all the same colour on the electrodes..if it was a blown head gasket ie coolant into cylinders you should be going through a bit of coolant,the engine will more than likely misfire on start up as the coolant is still under pressure when you turn motor off and leaks into cylinder,one or two spark plugs should be considerably cleaner than the other as they are virtually steam cleaned..but i would not be to concerned about it if non of the above is happening..white smoke is always water or condesation..hope this helps

g3vtir
12-07-2006, 07:22 AM
spanks, no it doesnt mis-fire...in fact the engine is still smooth and quiet...and it still pulls hard....even after driving for over 20min, would it still be condensation?

spanks
12-07-2006, 08:51 PM
What sort of exhaust does your car have? if it is to large then your exhaust temp will be to low not allowing all condensation to disapate.

g3vtir
12-07-2006, 10:11 PM
My car is stock...only mod are suspensions.

EK4R
09-01-2007, 03:57 AM
hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread and hijacking it but my friend has the same problem

i have checked the oil cap, no sign of milky sludge (sign of head gasket screwed), and im not really losing oil so it can't be oil.

i checked his coolant today and there seem to be some black grime around the opening of the radiator and also on the walls of his radiator reserve bottle? and i think he could be losing coolant.

Does the engine misfire on start up?Pull all the plugs out and check to see that they are all the same colour on the electrodes..

what do you exactly mean by mis-fire?? i pulled out his sparks and they all seemed fine with the brown head. however they were minor oil leaks, so im guessing his seal are off.

could this be that his head gasket is leaking? any harm if he keeps on driving for alittle while (occassional hard driving)?

bennjamin
09-01-2007, 10:52 AM
hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread and hijacking it but my friend has the same problem

i checked his coolant today and there seem to be some black grime around the opening of the radiator and also on the walls of his radiator reserve bottle? and i think he could be losing coolant.

what do you exactly mean by mis-fire?? i pulled out his sparks and they all seemed fine with the brown head. however they were minor oil leaks, so im guessing his seal are off.

could this be that his head gasket is leaking? any harm if he keeps on driving for alittle while (occassional hard driving)?

black gunk inside the radiator overflow bottle seems to be normal ~ if you havent changed the coolant for a good while and use aftermarket stuff.
Also if the O rings (that are located in the upper head , to seal the spark plug galleries from the cam cover) are leaking, they will leak oil down the spark plug lead and onto the plug. Sometimes giving a "misfire" when the car starts up due to oil on that sparkplug or around it.
It sounds like a stumble in revs

EK4R
09-01-2007, 11:30 AM
black gunk inside the radiator overflow bottle seems to be normal ~ if you havent changed the coolant for a good while and use aftermarket stuff.
Also if the O rings (that are located in the upper head , to seal the spark plug galleries from the cam cover) are leaking, they will leak oil down the spark plug lead and onto the plug. Sometimes giving a "misfire" when the car starts up due to oil on that sparkplug or around it.
It sounds like a stumble in revs

oh well the coolant hasnt been changed for awhlie he told me cos it come out brown dirty shit...hahaha

yea the O ring is alil worn out, but only small leaks.

as for misfire i dont think he said he has any, however he said when you sometimes turn on the car when its still warm ,it would just start up straight away when he turn the key instead of the usual start up (if that makes sense ) no lag,

JasonGilholme
09-01-2007, 11:30 AM
White smoke = Condensation (not a problem)
White smoke after car has warmed up = Coolant in combustion chamber (Bad head gasget or something else that is letting coolant into the combustion chamber)
Darker smoke = Oil in the combustion chamger (Piston rings or spark plug O-ring seals)