PDA

View Full Version : Type R or not?

MTX BOY
10-05-2004, 08:54 PM
This afternoon i was following a white Ek hatch with a type R emblem below the civic badge, i coodnt see the interior when i passed him all i could see in my rear-vision was a red H emblem on the grille. How can you tell if ist a genuine type R from the outside?

madgrk
10-05-2004, 08:55 PM
check for 5 stud rims :) Thats a dead give-away :thumbsup:

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 09:06 PM
check for 5 stud rims :) Thats a dead give-away :thumbsup:

good luck whilst moving :lol:

madgrk
10-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Well from what I believe the only REAL EK9's are in Melbourne anyway. But basically thats the only way I know that you can check.. Unless somebody goes all out on their conversion and changes to 5 stud rims/hubs etc

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Well from what I believe the only REAL EK9's are in Melbourne anyway. But basically thats the only way I know that you can check.. Unless somebody goes all out on their conversion and changes to 5 stud rims/hubs etc

from what i heard there was 2 in sydney, 1 locked away and very rarely driven.

A'PEXi
10-05-2004, 09:56 PM
check the bodywork, ie. type r stickers in the absolute perfect position, type r wing, unique type r bodykit front/rear lips, ctr grill, (i think there arn't many people around with copy kits, ek4's is really nice but he is in vic :D ).... type r wheels, recaro interior... if its a newer model should have the jdm headlights as well... and if its a older model, the frontbar and rear bar should have no plastic mouldings as seen on all 96-98 honda civic hatches.

gelo
10-05-2004, 10:02 PM
theres a silver ek9 in sydney
saw it in chatty with a red plate B16B

it had full type R interior and 5 stud bolts
took a pic of it with my fone~
pity it wasnt white

mo
10-05-2004, 10:23 PM
There is plenty of 5 stud conversions around boys.

Basically it is really hard to check if it is a EK9 or not imho.

SIKCVC
10-05-2004, 10:28 PM
rego? :P or better yet. ask? I'm sure they wont bight your head off.

tofu R
10-05-2004, 10:38 PM
hmm i dun think that that civic with plates b16b is a real ctr ..

ATSE
10-05-2004, 10:42 PM
If it is moving.. check the back... CTR's have no rear wipers

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 10:54 PM

... easy to removed a replace window

if they are gone to enough effort to make you check things like that ... its more than likely that those little things haven't been over looked.

things like the 5 studs are better things to check as it isn't cheap to do the 5 stud conversion and for what it does for performance or looks [nothing], its unlikely they will fork out the money for it

gatecrasher
10-05-2004, 11:00 PM
would you call a civic that took all the parts off an EK9, and put it on an EK4 chassis to get it complied, a type R?

I think so.
:)

mo
10-05-2004, 11:01 PM
No I wouldn't.

gatecrasher
10-05-2004, 11:01 PM
would you call a civic that took all the parts off an EK9, and put it on an EK4 chassis to get it complied, a type R?

I think so.

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 11:02 PM

I think so.

Type R Hybrid

ArSe
10-05-2004, 11:44 PM
B16B plates are on a real CTR its my mate....... silver one

ATSE
11-05-2004, 12:34 AM

... easy to removed a replace window

if they are gone to enough effort to make you check things like that ... its more than likely that those little things haven't been over looked.

things like the 5 studs are better things to check as it isn't cheap to do the 5 stud conversion and for what it does for performance or looks [nothing], its unlikely they will fork out the money for it

I meant when the car is moving... it's impossible to see a 5 stud conversion when a car is in motion don't u think? What does the window have to do with the rear wiper?

VTEC16
11-05-2004, 12:44 AM

I think so.

No - because the chassis is still different.

gelo
11-05-2004, 12:46 AM
haha arse
my friend fully had an orgasm when he saw it

mo
11-05-2004, 09:25 AM

I think so.

Ditto! It will always be a Type-R wannabe :P

genesis
11-05-2004, 10:02 AM
MTX BOY, it's not a type r. I've seen that car before.

Civic Type R
11-05-2004, 11:49 AM

I think so.
thats what ive done, only i didnt do it for compliencing.
However, its a sticky debate that keeps being raised and a debate i always find my car the subject of.
To me, if the chassis is the original build JHMEK9### then its a type R.

Kit
11-05-2004, 12:27 PM
theres a silver ek9 in sydney
saw it in chatty with a red plate B16B

it had full type R interior and 5 stud bolts
took a pic of it with my fone~
pity it wasnt white

I know the history behind this car too.
the guy was selling it, and wanted to swap it for my black EK4.

I went for a ride it in, it was pretty fast.

VTEC16
11-05-2004, 01:06 PM

I think so.
thats what ive done, only i didnt do it for compliencing.
However, its a sticky debate that keeps being raised and a debate i always find my car the subject of.
To me, if the chassis is the original build JHMEK9### then its a type R.

Im really sorry man - but i have a problem with you saying "thats what ive done" in reference to "took all the parts off an EK9, and put it on an EK4".

I really like your car, and from what iv seen of this forum you seem like a cool guy too, but you havent done that.

Civic Type R
11-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Im really sorry man - but i have a problem with you saying "thats what ive done" in reference to "took all the parts off an EK9, and put it on an EK4".

I really like your car, and from what iv seen of this forum you seem like a cool guy too, but you havent done that.
Fair Call.
I am referring to all things Cosmetic only man.
Dont flame me because i dont have a B16B or a 5 lug conversion remaining to do.

VTEC16
11-05-2004, 01:14 PM
ok cool - not trying to flame you -

Civic Type R
11-05-2004, 01:27 PM
`but even still.
if i get a B16B or B18C7 transplanted in there and a 5 lug conversion i still dont have a type R.

tanghy
11-05-2004, 03:19 PM
if you really wanna know
crawl under the car and look for factory welded rear tie bar
if it exists, yes it's a type r

sesshoumaru
11-05-2004, 03:32 PM

I think so.

nah it becomes a fully sick EK4. ;)

Civic Type R
11-05-2004, 03:48 PM
nah it becomes a fully sick EK4. ;)
LOL.
I like that one :D

A'PEXi
11-05-2004, 04:03 PM
i think the points i mentioned, and the rear wiper point, are the only ones you could possibly check out while it is in motion.... i doubt your going to see whether it has 5 studs or not while its moving :P... and also, even if all those points are satisfied, doesnt mean its a real type r.... but yeh, even if its not a genuine type r, a rebuild would be fairly good and close to the real thing :D

VTEChnique
11-05-2004, 04:14 PM
err dont forget Championship-White paint instead of Frost-White like EK4..

is kinda more creamy - off white - than normal..

EK9
11-05-2004, 05:00 PM
if you really wanna know
is dat the bar behind the rear bumper? is this it?

http://users.123.net.au/vinh/ctrparts/rearbar.jpg

Anyways, as a CTR owner if i see a car i think is another CTR, i usually look out for 3 things besides the obvious bodykit, paint, recaros, etc... that is the 5 studs, no rear wiper and rear brake lights. These are usually the giveaways to me. I dunno if anyone has noticed, but i've only seen CTRs (and only a few aussie civics) which actually use the lower red section of the tail lights as braking lights... i.e. 4 red brake lights instead of 2. I dunno if this is was only used on JDM models, but it's a rare sight to me. If ya all don't know wot i mean, i'll take a pic for ya if anyone requests...

I agree wif sesshoumaru wen it comes to transplanting everything from an EK9 to EK4... it's essentially a 'sickass EK4', but not a ctr...

Besides the Americans (who spend way too much money on their cars), i have yet to see any civics locally that have tried to make their car look like a CTR and have succeeded. Of course, the ones that do turn out to be REAL CTRs :)

Cheers

SIKCVC
11-05-2004, 05:21 PM
I saw an EG with that the other day... wondered if i could do it to mine :P

Civic Type R
11-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Besides the Americans (who spend way too much money on their cars), i have yet to see any civics locally that have tried to make their car look like a CTR and have succeeded. Of course, the ones that do turn out to be REAL CTRs :)
Cheers
Im getting there :D but gimme time ...

McChook
11-05-2004, 07:33 PM

I know of 2 in Sydney. Don't try and brag Mexican

SPEEDCORE
12-05-2004, 06:57 PM

I think so.

WERD!! :thumbsup:

SPEEDCORE
12-05-2004, 06:59 PM
if you really wanna know

And again WERD!!!

if you really wanna know
is dat the bar behind the rear bumper? is this it?

Negative. You are showing behind the bumper. Tanghy and myself are trying to say that there is a factory lower tie bar that is welded between the two mounting points of the rear suspension(can remember the name of it now LOL :oops: ). As opposed to aftermarket ones that need the bolts removed from both sides, line up the tie bar then torque the bolts back on. Anyway, the DC2R has it in pretty much the same way as the EK9. Need pics damn it!

pgclee
14-05-2004, 06:37 PM
why don't anybody say that the rear mirror, is black in colour and is not tinted and the rear sear window too?..

i don't think people would spent bout 1.5k to change that rite?...

that is the easies dude...and if you still think that he tint the car...go and look close up...then...you will know is a real thing or not..

5 stud though can be converted...but there is something underneath...the suspension is diff....
wanna check?...underneath can tell you everything...or just ask that guy who owns it whether is a real CTR or not...simple rite...

wrecky
16-05-2004, 08:08 PM
also the white isnt exactly white, its got a pearl tint to it..
thats for the white civic type R's

VTEC16
16-05-2004, 08:10 PM
also the white isnt exactly white, its got a pearl tint to it..
thats for the white civic type R's

errr...

err dont forget Championship-White paint instead of Frost-White like EK4..

is kinda more creamy - off white - than normal..

EDIT: welcome to the forum :wave:

skoota
16-05-2004, 11:38 PM
I thought there was only 1 CTR in Sydney??? There used to be 3 in Melbourne but some doofess totalled theirs. :x

Calvo
17-05-2004, 12:13 AM
why don't anybody say that the rear mirror, is black in colour and is not tinted and the rear sear window too?..
r u talking bout the rear vision mirror dude?
and wat u mean not tinted? r the mirrors normally tinted?

Setanta
17-05-2004, 07:39 AM

I think so.

No I wouldn't as it would still have EK4 on the firewall.

It's the same as countless Yank ****wits that claim they have JDM EF9 (yo) because they have bolted the interior, engine and nose onto their ED6.

In the long run, it's still just an ED6 or EK4

pgclee
17-05-2004, 08:07 PM
i mean the rear wind screen is original black in colour...and the rear window as well....

ckkl
18-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Haha yes, the rear hatch window is black and the rear passenger windows are black as well.

The Type R lower tie bar can be swapped over if the entire lower suspension is swapper over i.e. it's not part of the chassis.