PDA

View Full Version : EM1 owners...

SiR
10-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Hey guys,

Was wondering if any of you guys have a squeaky noise coming from the rear of the car? It's audible whenever the car is in motion. I got this checked out and was told that it came from the boot and the rather poor construction of it. Was also told that not much can be done about it, except applying some sort of 'grease' underneath the lid of the boot where the narrow metal sticks are.

What sort of 'grease' would be right for such an application and if anyone else has experienced similar problems, how did you go about getting rid of the squeaky noise?

Advice much appreciated.

SiR.

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 09:23 PM
wtf?

never heard of that happening before.

take it to another mechanic and tell him you think you have a busted rear wheel bearing.

sounds like that might be your problem

not expensive to fix

Jai-VTi
10-05-2004, 09:31 PM
was told that it came from the boot and the rather poor construction of it

Did u tell him its a Honda and laugh at him :P

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 09:32 PM
was told that it came from the boot and the rather poor construction of it

Did u tell him its a Honda and laugh at him :P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA :P

SiR
10-05-2004, 09:49 PM
It was actuallly Robert from Hanny's that told me the squeaky noise came from the boot after a short test-drive. Though it was no way a thorough examination, he reckons the squeaky noise is coming from the boot and that I should apply some 'grease' to hopefully get rid of the noise.

Bad construction as in compared with the hatch version which has those gas compression things to open the boot. The coupe version doesn't.

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 09:52 PM
It was actuallly Robert from Hanny's that told me the squeaky noise came from the boot after a short test-drive. Though it was no way a thorough examination, he reckons the squeaky noise is coming from the boot and that I should apply some 'grease' to hopefully get rid of the noise.

Bad construction as in compared with the hatch version which has those gas compression things to open the boot. The coupe version doesn't.

ahh ok

i would probably trust his word then ;)

SiR
10-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I'm taking his word for it, unless someone else can prove him wrong! :D

I told Robert that I was recommended to him by a lot of forumers on here and he gave me a smirk, as in 'here comes another rice boy' or something along those lines. Then he proceeded to tell my gf not to let me modify my car and to let him know when and if I do so he can bash me up! He's a good bloke...the other bloke, Chuck Wah(?) didn't seem all that talkative though - grumpy even.

TOYOL
10-05-2004, 10:05 PM
My coupe gives that funny squeek too. Its worse when you hit bumps and hard corners.

SiR
10-05-2004, 10:15 PM
My coupe gives that funny squeek too. Its worse when you hit bumps and hard corners.

Now we're talking...so you get that squeak coming from the rear as well? I would imagine that mine's even worse cos it squeaks whenever the car is in motion, fast or slow, bumps or no bumps.

So what 'grease' should I use - was told not to use WD-40. I wanna get rid of the noise cos it's annoying and only turning on the music seems to drown out the sound...

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 10:56 PM
if its comming from inside the car ...

it could also be the rear seat.

JEMBON
11-05-2004, 11:04 AM
yeah ive got that squeaky noise comin from the boot too, at first i thought the boot was still open, but ya get use to it

SiR
11-05-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm getting used to it cos the noise has been there for ages now, but that's not stopping me from trying to get rid of the noise though.

Would appreciate any advice on how to go about this.

pandavtec
11-05-2004, 01:59 PM
i had the same problem but i found out that the exhuast was hitting my rear sway bar maybe thats it ??

wynode
11-05-2004, 02:04 PM

Get a loud stereo or a new exhaust so you can't hear it :)

Nah seriously the coupes were built in the USA and a lot of people complain about its poor build quality.

WD40 isn't really what I would call a grease...its more of an oil. Next time you're at Hannys ask Robert for some real grease and just rub it along where the noise is coming from. Otherwise you can buy a small tub of grease from any hardware/auto store.

ian
11-05-2004, 04:44 PM

Get a loud stereo or a new exhaust so you can't hear it :)

Nah seriously the coupes were built in the USA and a lot of people complain about its poor build quality.

WD40 isn't really what I would call a grease...its more of an oil. Next time you're at Hannys ask Robert for some real grease and just rub it along where the noise is coming from. Otherwise you can buy a small tub of grease from any hardware/auto store.

hehehe..........like "wynode" said.......turn up the music.....hehehe

hey, i got a EM1 civic coupe too but i don't have that problem.........i hope you find out what that noise is.

Mitch M
11-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Then he proceeded to tell my gf not to let me modify my car and to let him know when and if I do so he can bash me up!

HAHAHA

i tested him out today

i said to him "do you think you can source and fit a B16A for me?"

before i even finished he goes "na na na na na na na na .... i won't do it"

then i was able to get the word "But" out of my mouth before he goes

"na na na na na ... i will not do it"

LOL :P

top guy though :)

SiR
11-05-2004, 10:55 PM
That's Robert!! :D

I had to ensure him a couple of times that I didn't have plans to mod my car before he backed off lol. But before I left, he came up and said next time I bring in my car for a service, he'll 'do' something for me. He kept emphasizing that and with a grin too - possibly that fuel thing everyone's talking about?!

And yep, I hope I can get rid of the noise soon. I checked it out in detail myself today and it is in fact coming from inside the boot, but not the boot lid itself like Robert said.

Mitch M
11-05-2004, 11:31 PM

I had to ensure him a couple of times that I didn't have plans to mod my car before he backed off lol. But before I left, he came up and said next time I bring in my car for a service, he'll 'do' something for me. He kept emphasizing that and with a grin too - possibly that fuel thing everyone's talking about?!

And yep, I hope I can get rid of the noise soon. I checked it out in detail myself today and it is in fact coming from inside the boot, but not the boot lid itself like Robert said.

yeh if you have ever removed your back seat [i.e. to run cables for a sound system] you may get a squeek from the seats.

i do in my civic ... just haven't been bothered to check whats loose

but know its the back seat lol

SiR
12-05-2004, 12:04 AM

yeh if you have ever removed your back seat [i.e. to run cables for a sound system] you may get a squeek from the seats.

i do in my civic ... just haven't been bothered to check whats loose

but know its the back seat lol

Nah mate, never done anything to the backseats.
I was told that the squeaky noise came from the backseats from the people at Honda. The problem was fixed, but came back after a short while.

SiR
12-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Going slightly off topic here, but when there's something wrong with the timing in the engine, what does that mean?

Cheers! :)

JEMBON
12-05-2004, 12:50 AM
i bet hes gonna change ur cams, for $175

Taxi-R
12-05-2004, 01:04 AM
yeah i have it *with my hands up*. i think i need to go into therapy after all these years hearing that shit every day! i've had a seat in the back whilst some1 else is driving and put one of the chairs down and stuck my head inside the boot. it's definitely NOT the seats. it very well could either be really shitty joins in the metal (i mean the welding) of the boot, or it could be ard where the suspension mounts are. i wouldn't have the faintest clue how u would fix that....maybe take the chassis apart and put it back together again???
i put a tie bar on and it helped like 5-10%...then i think it just came back! i also have a bigass rear strut bar and that don't do jack all.

And guess what?? squeaks are not covered by Honda. U know what gets up my nostrils??? potentially, it really is just bad workmanship or bad quality and we have to live with it. Since when is bad workmanship/quality not covered by warranty? my fat ass! i wanna give honda dealers (and other car dealers) the biggest birdie they've ever seen! SCREW YOU!!! SCREW YOU ALL!!!!!

sorry kiddies, the frustration just had to come out :x

SiR
12-05-2004, 01:53 AM
And guess what?? squeaks are not covered by Honda. U know what gets up my nostrils??? potentially, it really is just bad workmanship or bad quality and we have to live with it. Since when is bad workmanship/quality not covered by warranty? my fat ass! i wanna give honda dealers (and other car dealers) the biggest birdie they've ever seen! SCREW YOU!!! SCREW YOU ALL!!!!!

Mate...my exact sentiments!!! I should buy you a drink!! :D Like you said, the noise is coming from inside the boot, which I found out today (well, yesterday now). And you're absolutely bang on when you say squeaks and all are not covered under warranty by Honda. When Honda fixed the problem temporarily, they said they were doing me a 'big' favour and under normal circumstances, they wouldn't have done so. They did say the noise came from the seats, but I say BS!!

The noise coming from the back is annoying to say the least, and even more so for the passengers that sit in the back.

From what I've read here, it seems quite a common problem for the coupes and I may have to live with that...which sux! :x

BlitZ
12-05-2004, 05:12 PM
mine isnt too bad.. dont here sqeaking.. on thing i hear is from my aftermarket sway bar.. but then i have a rear strut brace.. might have helped i dont reckon at all its the seat as it wouldnt have that much play in it in the first place to sqeak. It is only normal for little squeaks as the chasis flexs.. chasis need to flex else they crack.

SiR
12-05-2004, 07:49 PM
It is only normal for little squeaks as the chasis flexs.. chasis need to flex else they crack.

What I'm talking about ain't little squeaks mate. It's very audible, even for the driver and front passenger.

Taxi-R
13-05-2004, 12:04 AM

Mate...my exact sentiments!!! I should buy you a drink!! :D

i'd like a glass of milk pleaseeee :D hahahahha

once i asked the honda dealer, "so, these squeaks in the back...what can we do abt it?" honda dealer: "yeah i guess we can have a look at it..." me: "will i get charged?" dealer: "yes...u will pay for the time to look at it" it's like u buy a computer and there seems to be an obvious problem but u gotta pay the guys who freakin assembled it to look at the piece of shit! pay pay pay...they should freakin pay me to not smash their face in!
i've been to a few honda service centres to have my car serviced but i don't like anybody i've met. they all have the typical serviceman attitude. bloody tossers!
the noises are so constant and audible (but they are mini squeaks still) that u really have to be deaf not to hear it. i also asked the guy who serviced my car if he heard the squeaks and he said no...lazyass biatch! just didn't wanna do anymore work!!!

SiR
13-05-2004, 12:26 AM
i'd like a glass of milk pleaseeee :D hahahahha

once i asked the honda dealer, "so, these squeaks in the back...what can we do abt it?" honda dealer: "yeah i guess we can have a look at it..." me: "will i get charged?" dealer: "yes...u will pay for the time to look at it" it's like u buy a computer and there seems to be an obvious problem but u gotta pay the guys who freakin assembled it to look at the piece of shit! pay pay pay...they should freakin pay me to not smash their face in!
i've been to a few honda service centres to have my car serviced but i don't like anybody i've met. they all have the typical serviceman attitude. bloody tossers!
the noises are so constant and audible (but they are mini squeaks still) that u really have to be deaf not to hear it. i also asked the guy who serviced my car if he heard the squeaks and he said no...lazyass biatch! just didn't wanna do anymore work!!!

A glass of milk it is, mate! :D

Yeah, it's bizarre Honda doesn't cover for squeaks and stuff.

Not the best analogy there cos the serviceman could say they didn't actually assemble the car - the guys in the US did. They just do the servicing blah blah, but I get your point.

Yes, the noise is constant and annoying. Basically, you can hear it whenever you drive, unless there is a lot of wind noise with the windows down, or when you have the music up. Or, of course, when you're VTEC-ing. Other than that, it's constantly there.

i also asked the guy who serviced my car if he heard the squeaks and he said no...lazyass biatch! just didn't wanna do anymore work!!

Same happened to me!!! :D You don't take your car to Larke Hoskins, right?!

Muckafutha
11-07-2004, 11:11 AM
i have lots of noise coming out from my car
i thot it was the suspension at first
when i put stockies back the sounds were still there
when i corner on my owered suspension, even if its very gently, sometimes it sounds ike my springs are falling out
wats wrong wif my baby
other sounds are just like the rest of u described
help....

SiR
11-07-2004, 12:16 PM
i have lots of noise coming out from my car
i thot it was the suspension at first
when i put stockies back the sounds were still there
when i corner on my owered suspension, even if its very gently, sometimes it sounds ike my springs are falling out
wats wrong wif my baby
other sounds are just like the rest of u described
help....

Sounds like you're worse off than me - feel for ya mate.

I still haven't got the squeaky noise fixed yet - don't know if I ever will really. I'll ask Rob to look at it in detail when I next go in for a major service.

wassup
11-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

First post here. Ive been lurking a while but finally decided i could add to the topic and hopefully help out alittle.

The noise coming from the back of the car is something i suffered from. For me, there were two sources.

The rear shelf. and this was caused by the left rear not being properly clipped in place. right up against the glass. Everytime someone sat in the back i would hear a clunking noise and despite several visits to honda. me removing everything from my trunk it still remained. On day i was adding sound deadening to the frnt and back of my car i decided to take it for a spin around the block minus the rear 3qrt and rear shelf bits and i couldnt hear it...

Second problem was the sqeaking noises from the boot and rear 3qrt. this was solved by using silicone spray and spraying it into the bits o metal that have been sandwiched togather... and if you remove the carpet at the side of your boot youll see the subframe and how it makes contact with the rear shelf and side panel. i spraye these crevices and to this day ive no longer had any noise. (its been 2years).

its what i tried and its work. damn annoying as i love my car and its something that made it less than perfect.

Hope it helps some of you!

SiR
11-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Second problem was the sqeaking noises from the boot and rear 3qrt. this was solved by using silicone spray and spraying it into the bits o metal that have been sandwiched togather... and if you remove the carpet at the side of your boot youll see the subframe and how it makes contact with the rear shelf and side panel. i spraye these crevices and to this day ive no longer had any noise. (its been 2years).

First of all, thanks for your input!

Have you got any pics of where you sprayed the silicone spray? Also, where did you buy the silicone spray from and how much?

Thanks again!

wassup
13-01-2005, 10:21 AM
SiR: Unfortunately i dont have any pics.. if ive the time ill take a few this weekend so you guys have a better idea of the area's im talking about...

HHmmm actually i might just take a walk out of the office now and snap some with my phone!

As for the Spray, just goto your local auto shop like Super Cheap and look it up. its pretty common.. Silicone Spray is what your looking for. its similar to WD40 without the greasy residue or the smell.. its also very very handy for when you want to turn your rubber seals and engine hose's jet black!

Price is around $9 - $15 per can.. make sure you get the one with the little straw tubing so you can direct the spray into the little spaces!

wassup
13-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Okay.. here you go. Pictures as taken on my phone and inbetween meetings!

hope this helps.

Arrows are area's that you should spray into.
Ive also just used a RED line to indicate entire edges that i have sprayed.
NB: i didnt go crazy doing this so for everyone who's going to give this a try do it sparingly to start with. Individual results may vary!!!! :)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~adamrumjahn/Pictures/1.JPG

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~adamrumjahn/Pictures/2.JPG

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~adamrumjahn/Pictures/3.JPG

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~adamrumjahn/Pictures/4.JPG

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~adamrumjahn/Pictures/5.JPG

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~adamrumjahn/Pictures/6.JPG

SiR
13-01-2005, 11:50 AM
You are a bloody legend!!! :thumbsup: Thanks heaps for that - will give it a try this weekend and hopefully will have some good news to share!

wassup
14-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Good luck!

TOYOL
21-01-2005, 12:00 AM
How did it go? Was it easy?

ROCKET
21-01-2005, 12:18 AM
ye i got dat sound 2 it feels like its my suspension i only hear it wen i go over bumps n stuff
but i been told nuffin 2 worry bout

FR33K
21-01-2005, 10:33 AM
by the looks of it you might as well spray the whole boot lol

barefootbonzai
21-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I've been playing around with my suspension for the last couple of days, and now my cars make retarded noises when I go over bumps aswell.

SiR
21-01-2005, 02:49 PM
How did it go? Was it easy?
Nah, haven't done it yet mate. Been busy.

Hopefully will get things done this weekend.

SiR
13-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Ok, I've finally gotten off my lazy ass to try what 'wassup' has recommended but didn't have much luck - the rattle/squeaks are still there.

The rattle/squeaks aren't as audible now, but only just; nonetheless, there is a slight improvement.

I tried applying the silicone spray liberally over the course of a few days so I might have to strip out the boot even further to get to those hard to reach places.

Any other recommendations welcomed.