PDA

View Full Version : SiR CR-X or dc2r??

brucelee
10-05-2004, 10:12 PM
hi all!! just hving a question surrounding me all nite about dunno which 1's better. Actually, my friend's sellin' his 89 JDM SiR CR-X n I felt that his 1 was much faster than my dc2r after got a test drive. the feeling's like his b16a had a bit heavier kick in. for da handling they are a bit da same but for the cr-x I dun hv to care about the rear coz no hatch n much shorter so i really felt that the car did cut all corners. but in deep, that's about 15 yrs old car, i really worry about the engine reliability n even the chassis in today. however, the car got all the JDM stuff n I dun have to afford the finance on my dc2r. so I really can;t make da choice. also, due to my friend's a hard crazy driver so I wanna swap a b16b (CTR) engine to it if the engine fxxked up. do u guys know could da cr-x fit the b16b and its gearbox?? hope to get some advice from u bros. ta!!

EG5
10-05-2004, 11:12 PM
u can fit b16b engine to ef8 crx sir
gearbox wont fit coz b16b gearbox is hydro clutch tranny
ef8 crx sir is cable clutch tranny .
also crx ef8 is using OBD 0 ecu.

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 11:14 PM
DC2R imo

brucelee
10-05-2004, 11:34 PM
u can fit b16b engine to ef8 crx sir
gearbox wont fit coz b16b gearbox is hydro clutch tranny
ef8 crx sir is cable clutch tranny .
also crx ef8 is using OBD 0 ecu.

but is that possible to use b16b stock ecu instead of b16a??

CTR Coupe
11-05-2004, 03:30 AM
The b16b engine uses the b18c block so it hangs just as low as putting a ITR engine in it(you wont be able to lower the car much and you will have to increase the spring rates to protect your headers from bumps), you will need to convert or replace the transmission. Provided u get a half cut you won’t have problems with the ECU as it should come with the standard CTR ECU and wiring loom. At the end of the day this is a serious conversion.
Since the car already has the b16a u may as well just have a standard rebuild done on the engine with some added extras like CTR pistons CTR cams valves and valve springs. This would be a much cheaper option not to mention a lot easier. If u want to go the transplant route better off going for a ITR engine as its just as much hassle for a bigger power gain and finding CTR front cuts are getting harder and harder and ITR cuts are more available.

I’m sure there are other problems that I haven’t mentioned but in the end they do fit and it can be done.

weezer
11-05-2004, 08:23 AM
that conversion has been done. Theres one running around in melb and it uses Hondata as engine management

Setanta
11-05-2004, 07:01 PM
CRX SiR - looks better than a DC2 IT-R

DC2 ITR - will run rings around an EF8 'rex.

I've had My EF9 Civic SiR for over 3 years now - I have put 105,000 kms on it, taking the total odometer reading to 270,000kms - all on the original B16A it left the factory with. I doubt many DC2s will make it that far somehow.

McChook
11-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Most DC2Rs have been driven like intended - HARD

I have 2 full SiR CRX conversions at work with gearboxes

brucelee
11-05-2004, 10:04 PM
The b16b engine uses the b18c block so it hangs just as low as putting a ITR engine in it(you wont be able to lower the car much and you will have to increase the spring rates to protect your headers from bumps), you will need to convert or replace the transmission. Provided u get a half cut you won’t have problems with the ECU as it should come with the standard CTR ECU and wiring loom. At the end of the day this is a serious conversion.
Since the car already has the b16a u may as well just have a standard rebuild done on the engine with some added extras like CTR pistons CTR cams valves and valve springs. This would be a much cheaper option not to mention a lot easier. If u want to go the transplant route better off going for a ITR engine as its just as much hassle for a bigger power gain and finding CTR front cuts are getting harder and harder and ITR cuts are more available.

I’m sure there are other problems that I haven’t mentioned but in the end they do fit and it can be done.

but how much do ya reckon for the full ctr conversion ?? and who can do it probably? I think it worth to do the full converstion as the ctr could rev up to 8350rpm and hv the feeling of reving the ctr.

CTR Coupe
12-05-2004, 12:57 AM
I’m not sure what is involved in swapping a CTR engine into CRX that has a b16a already in it, But the CTR engine is around the 5 grand mark with everything, I don’t think you could use the CTR transmission (without converting the clutch to hydro)

As a total guess I would say around the 7-9 grand mark, but honestly I have no idea, there are other people that actually done conversions that would have a better idea of costs. I know a CRX owner paid over 6 grand for a b16a transplant but that was into a CRX si (d16, DOHC non-vtec)not a b16b into a SIR, but his front cut only cost around 2-3 grand. I’m not sure if the CTR-ITR block is compatible with the standard b16a mounts.

These are the issues you would have to look at

Does the CTR engine bolt onto a 1st Gen b16a transmission (or the cost of converting to hydro clutch)?

What are the hoods clearances using the CTR block as it is taller than the b16a block?

I’m sure other members would be able to give u a better idea of costs of labour for things

bizee_1
12-05-2004, 04:13 AM
but how much do ya reckon for the full ctr conversion ?? and who can do it probably? I think it worth to do the full converstion as the ctr could rev up to 8350rpm and hv the feeling of reving the ctr.

IMO though, i'd have a serious look at rebuilding the engine to however you want it to perform accordingly with your budget.

Here are some things i have thought about :
1) they (the b16b) are a rare engine to come across, so it would cost $$$.
2) there is only a difference of 25hp. ie. cost of B16B + conversion for 25hp over rebuilding the b16a.
3) we're talking about 500rpm in difference in redline.
4) ITR has more cubes & hp than a CTR engine.
5) B16B is rare, and still a gem to have though.

Anyhow, try Charlie at Good Performance Centre in Yennora if you live in Sydney.

CTR Coupe
12-05-2004, 01:28 PM

IMO though, i'd have a serious look at rebuilding the engine to however you want it to perform accordingly with your budget.

Here are some things i have thought about :
1) they (the b16b) are a rare engine to come across, so it would cost $$$.
2) there is only a difference of 25hp. ie. cost of B16B + conversion for 25hp over rebuilding the b16a.
3) we're talking about 500rpm in difference in redline.
4) ITR has more cubes & hp than a CTR engine.
5) B16B is rare, and still a gem to have though.

Anyhow, try Charlie at Good Performance Centre in Yennora if you live in Sydney.

perfectly summed up. remember its just as much hassle to put a ITR engine in the car as putting a b16b. plus finding a b16b is a lot harder than finding a b18c type R engine. Would be better bang for buck to either rebuild the b16a with some aftermarket internals or buy an ITR engine