PDA

View Full Version : CRX siR b16a GEARBOX SWAP

moisturizer_cream
11-07-2006, 06:10 PM
hey guys,
i was curious to find out if anyones knows if the b18cR gearbox (1999) will fit into a b16a (1991 crx siR) engine directly. i have bought the b18cR shift linkages and so forth and i know i need new drive shafts and cv joints, but does anyone knoe what else i may need. except for lots of money??
thanks

bennjamin
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
the 91 SIR is a cable clutch ? That means you will also need to install a hydraulic clutch system too since the clutch fork setup is different from cable/hydro gearboxes.

moisturizer_cream
11-07-2006, 06:15 PM
what other parts would i then need??

j3z3z
11-07-2006, 06:20 PM
why do you want to change gearbox???

moisturizer_cream
11-07-2006, 06:23 PM
dont have 3rd gear and 4th is popping out. its from racing and i need to change it asap.

j3z3z
11-07-2006, 06:25 PM
why dont you find a nice ys1 to fit it. easy afternoon job to fit it in

moisturizer_cream
11-07-2006, 06:30 PM
because i have been told that the b18cR are much stronger with much shorter shift ratios. the shift qaulity is way better and smoother and the gearbox will be able to take more presssure. plus i have sent nearly 4 k on the gearbox shift linkages flywheel and clutch so ive gone head first and then rest has to follow. but i need some help, and some advice. anyplaces that can do it?? whith chainging the cv joint and drive shafts??

j3z3z
11-07-2006, 06:52 PM
maybe a gearbox centre but id look more into places that do engine conversions with a good understanding of hondas for doing the swap as you are going from a cable clutch to hydrualic.
i personaly would have stuck with a ys1

BlitZ
14-07-2006, 04:49 PM
i was always under the the impression the box will bolt str8 up..and no new drive shafts are required as you already have a b series shafts..

all u need it hydrulic..

Chi
14-07-2006, 04:54 PM
B18Cr box will not work straight up into a CRX gen 2.

Need Cable to Hydro clutch kit to fit it in.

Some small info on what another guy with crx who did similar change (diff engine but still same concept)

http://www.explicitspeedperformance.net/

Hasport sell a cable to hydro kit

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/EFB2

I think you can get replicas off ebay too.

moisturizer_cream
14-07-2006, 07:42 PM
so basically, if i bought the hasport kit, my gearbox will bolt straight it?? i already have the itr box, clutch and flywheel and shift linkages and nothing else needs to be bought??
its quite expensive though....
thanks guys....
anything else i need to knoe??

Spunkymonkey
03-08-2006, 12:53 PM
because i have been told that the b18cR are much stronger with much shorter shift ratios. the shift qaulity is way better and smoother and the gearbox will be able to take more presssure. plus i have sent nearly 4 k on the gearbox shift linkages flywheel and clutch so ive gone head first and then rest has to follow. but i need some help, and some advice. anyplaces that can do it?? whith chainging the cv joint and drive shafts??

who told you that b18cr gearboxes are much stronger? Not disputing just curious. Yes, the b18cr has a bit shorter gear ratios. Have you driven a car with an ITR box yet? it would have been great if you have so you can experience yourself :)

btw I have a b16a box on my dc2 teg atm...and have had no issues with it. Had it in there 6 months.

suprfast
03-08-2006, 02:34 PM
who told you that b18cr gearboxes are much stronger? Not disputing just curious. Yes, the b18cr has a bit shorter gear ratios. Have you driven a car with an ITR box yet? it would have been great if you have so you can experience yourself :)

btw I have a b16a box on my dc2 teg atm...and have had no issues with it. Had it in there 6 months.

Only thing that i would be able to think of is Cable tranny Vs Hydro. The cable are really weak. I have broken many, mostly dropping the diffs. The hydro has been bulletproof so far, which means i need to start making more power and use bigger slicks:)
kris

Spunkymonkey
03-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Only thing that i would be able to think of is Cable tranny Vs Hydro. The cable are really weak. I have broken many, mostly dropping the diffs. The hydro has been bulletproof so far, which means i need to start making more power and use bigger slicks:)
kris

:thumbsup: Thanks good info Kris :)

dave_ed9
03-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Not all hydro gearboxes are bulletproof. Think about it, you're only talking about the way the clutch is being actuated. There's poxy hydro boxes too.

The TypeR gearbox is strong because the internals are made bigger and stronger.

Aside from changing the tranny mount and actuator, you will have to change your clutch and pressure plate setup to use the TypeR box too.

I've got the JDM TypeR box in my car, the short gears and final drive is great but it revs a bit higher on the highway.

suprfast
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Not all hydro gearboxes are bulletproof. Think about it, you're only talking about the way the clutch is being actuated. There's poxy hydro boxes too.

The TypeR gearbox is strong because the internals are made bigger and stronger.

Aside from changing the tranny mount and actuator, you will have to change your clutch and pressure plate setup to use the TypeR box too.

I've got the JDM TypeR box in my car, the short gears and final drive is great but it revs a bit higher on the highway.

I didnt say it was bulletproof, i said it has been bulletproof so far. The hydro tranny does have stronger gears and better syncros. Ask these guys, www.gearspeed.com
kris

dave_ed9
04-08-2006, 11:03 AM
I didnt say it was bulletproof, i said it has been bulletproof so far. The hydro tranny does have stronger gears and better syncros. Ask these guys, www.gearspeed.com (http://www.gearspeed.com)
kris

I know mate, I was just making sure you realised the fact that one box is hydro and another is cable is irrelevant, you are comparing a S80 with a Y1, not the actuators.

Forgot to mention last time too, flywheel will need to be changed also.

So you need:
Clutch, flywheel, int shaft, trans mount, and a cable to hydro mechanism (or install a hydro clutch pedal setup).

suprfast
04-08-2006, 01:01 PM
For strength the cable vs hydro is relevant. I dont buy Cable anymore because they can not support the abuse and reuilding them is awful. The syncros in the cable trannies can only be sourced from Honda of Japan. All JDM and USDM hydro trannies are interchangable and the sycros i can get locally. For strength, HYDRO is better.

He is also correct. Flywheels are not interchangable. The cable to hydro is a bracket and alot easier than the swapping of a 92+pedal. Im sure the 92+ pedal assembly in the END would feel nicer though, but its not worth the hassle
kris

I know mate, I was just making sure you realised the fact that one box is hydro and another is cable is irrelevant, you are comparing a S80 with a Y1, not the actuators.

Forgot to mention last time too, flywheel will need to be changed also.

So you need:
Clutch, flywheel, int shaft, trans mount, and a cable to hydro mechanism (or install a hydro clutch pedal setup).

moisturizer_cream
05-08-2006, 02:07 AM
So you need:

SORRY, WHAT IS THE INT SHAFT, AND TRANS MOUNT??
THANKS

suprfast
05-08-2006, 02:29 AM
So you need:

SORRY, WHAT IS THE INT SHAFT, AND TRANS MOUNT??
THANKS

The INTERMEDIATE SHAFT is not needed. you can use the cable tranny intermediate shaft on a hydro tranny.

dave_ed9
05-08-2006, 01:07 PM
The INTERMEDIATE SHAFT is not needed. you can use the cable tranny intermediate shaft on a hydro tranny.

No. You will need the TypeR int shaft. Trust me I've tried it. The bracket on the cable int shaft that bolts to the engine block will position it differently to the typeR int shaft, and it will not line up with the transmission.

suprfast: Don't post if you don't know what you're talking about.

suprfast
05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Well, i guess i have to take the Cable tranny INT shaft off of my brothers crx and change it for a type R one. to think, he has been driving around like this for years without issues. :wave: :thumbsup:

CRXBOY
06-08-2006, 07:23 PM
i just blew my diff on my b16a dont kno wot to do any hints?