PDA

View Full Version : anyone had problems like this on there 98'

Shaggin Wagon
11-07-2006, 09:46 PM
hey guys just wondering wot problems are common on the 98 accords, iv just bought one so if anyone could fill me in with the honda lingo, eg. model names, generation?? or any common nick names as such would help me out.

now iv got the 98 50th anniversary edition accord, just needed to kno if there is any common problems ppl have come across, its got 106000kms on the clock and i have found it needs a timing belt done as it hasnt been done on a service to date, also noticed the driver side engine mount is completely shaggged.
has anyone had problems with the electronic front and rear engine mounts?
also i have a very aggressive gearchange wen the oil is cold, iv changed it and made sure honda oil is in it and it still does it, just wondering if there is any common problems in the box or anything like that?
thanxs for ur help guys

ozhonda2006
12-07-2006, 12:19 AM
hey guys just wondering wot problems are common on the 98 accords, iv just bought one so if anyone could fill me in with the honda lingo, eg. model names, generation?? or any common nick names as such would help me out.

now iv got the 98 50th anniversary edition accord, just needed to kno if there is any common problems ppl have come across, its got 106000kms on the clock and i have found it needs a timing belt done as it hasnt been done on a service to date, also noticed the driver side engine mount is completely shaggged.
has anyone had problems with the electronic front and rear engine mounts?
also i have a very aggressive gearchange wen the oil is cold, iv changed it and made sure honda oil is in it and it still does it, just wondering if there is any common problems in the box or anything like that?
thanxs for ur help guys

Hi mate, I too old the 1998 Honda V6-L 50th Edition Accord. It's a very reliable car - aweful vehicle. However, after you drive it for a while you'll soon notice the following common things...

When you drive on hard roads (rocky or muddy etc), you'll soon notice your steering will get a bit hard, when you first start the vehicle - let it warm up for around 5 minutes before driving off or your your engine gear changes may be a bit hard - and finally, a lot of smoke tends to come out of the twin exhausts at the back - a bit more than usual.

To be honest, I am pretty noob so I can't tell you much about this vehicle except for my pratical experiences.

For your information, they're known as the 6th Generation Accords - V6-Luxury series.

Cheers,

Kevin

stoodamire
12-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Lol, i have an Accord V6-L for sale now mint condition. Should've taken mine lol. Dammit..

amato2
12-07-2006, 12:48 AM
well i have the 2001 model and the only real problem ppl will tell u is that this generation of honda.....they skrewed up the auto box its a piece of shit so be careful with it....onther wise treated right this car can last for eva....

got a nice buy there!!

stocky
12-07-2006, 09:39 AM
I've got a late '00 model and my gearbox is fine. The manual says to replace the transmission fluid every 20,000kms. Its this part that people neglect that results in a stuffed up gearbox.

I have no annoyances with my car, but i dont love it either.

razaman
12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Gearbox is the biggest problem with these cars. In fact most of the V6 auto transmissions in the US is covered by an extended warranty.

Honda Accord V6- 2000-2001 - 7 year 100,000 mile warranty.
Acura TL - 2000-2003 - 7 year 100,000 mile warranty
Acura CL - 2001-2003 - 7 year 100,000 mile warranty
Acura TL - 2004 - 7 year 100,000 mile warranty

I also believe the current generation V6 accord may also be up for an extended warranty.

Here's another recent recall notice.

Honda Motor Co. is widening a recall of vehicles in the U.S. and Canada to 1.14 million units, among its largest, covering Accord and Acura cars that have the same transmission fault that triggered a light-truck recall this year.

Japan’s third-largest automaker is voluntarily recalling 536,950 vehicles, with V-6 engines and 5-speed automatic transmissions, in addition to those already announced in April. The company is also recalling 79,531 units in Japan to fix faulty transmissions and fuel tanks, starting tomorrow.

Honda’s North American recall includes 2003- and 2004-model Accords, 2000- through early 2004-model Acura TL sedans, and 2001- through 2003-model Acura CLs, Boyd said. In April, the company recalled 600,000 U.S. and Canadian Odyssey minivans, and Pilot and Acura MDX sport-utility vehicles with the same transmission.

I'm looking at a V6 accord or inspire (acura tl) but the trans are starting to scare me. Although the 4 speed is apparently more reliable than the 5 speed.

Raz

Xplodin
12-07-2006, 05:50 PM
hummm i dont know much about the CG6 but, all i know is that its Taiwanese made, and American Made, so that means Quality is sh!yte. Go the CD5 Fully Jap Made! Thats why i didnt go for that model, other wise i would have. I dont trust it might have been Jap parts and built in Taiwan.

Meh My 2cents

SiReal
25-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Xplodin, hehe...the first series was made in america. The 01' onwards were made in THAILAND, not TAIWAN. :) Ive been told by a honda mechanic friend of mine that the Thailand made ones were far superior in quality and build finish. He also said that he sees more issues with the V6 gearbox than the 4cyl gearbox.

hondaflyer
28-07-2006, 02:24 PM
To find out, just lift the front whipers up, it should say Honda Corp USA or if otherwise, just Honda Corp.

BRU51N
28-07-2006, 07:02 PM
common problem witht he 98-99 accords would be the weak engine mounts that break so easily and often. and the gearbox. they shit themselves so often as well.

and dont try to get aftermarket engine mounts as ive been there and done that, the aftermarket engine mounts make some crazy vibrations through the car.

gearbox problem.. well u cant really do much about it, they were shit from the factory, and there isnt that much options out there that u can take up on either.

just warm up the car right and it'll give u afew extra yrs on the box.