PDA

View Full Version : Prelude 89 Engine Upgrade

someone
13-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi guys,

Firstly, I would like to say that yes I have done a search about this, and have found a little bit of information about it, but nothing solid that has made any type of impact on my decision.

A little about my car - I have a Honda prelude 1989 model, 4ws, auto. I have already lowered it (king springs and pedders shocks) and the car is great, handles like a dream. The next thing that I want to do is change the engine. Reason being is that I have almost change all the seals and all, but still leaking oil, and very noisy, and starting to blow a little blue smoke (engine has done over 150 000 ks). Other problem is the gearbox is on the way out as well, very long shifts, even when driving nicely, as well as very rough sifts...when it does shift, bangs the gear into place. Also to help you guys tell me what to do, im from Melbourne, so any advice, please make sure I can do it in Melbourne.

This is what I was thinking of doing - getting a newer engine (would love a vvti engine in it :) ), if possible to fit into the engine bay, with a newer gearbox (as well as a manual conversion). I have read that this engine does not have vtec, so if there is no other engine that will fit into the bay, would it be possible to (after getting the engine reconditioned and fixed up) to get vtec added to it, and if so, can anyone recommend who I would need to go to, to have this done.

If I can get a newer engine into it, what engine as well as gearbox am I looking at getting?

Oh btw, if you were wondering, yes i do want to do this no matter the cost, and i have quite a bit of money to spend on it, so thats also not the issue here...lol...just need to know what i can do with this car, or what i can fit in here.

Sorry if this has been asked before, and I just have not been able to find it on the site, but I did try and look for the information.

Any help given will be greatly appreciated.

Mr_will
13-07-2006, 12:58 PM
i know you say youve searched, but engine swaps are not drastically different for preludes than any other honda, and there have been MANY threads about engine swaps on other models, all of which would be worth reading for you.

vvti is toyota's thing. it only works on the inside.

i assume you are referring to vtec, which is hondas version, considerably better because it operates on both intake and exhaust sides, but is not continuously variable like vvti

ANYWAYS, youve got a few options if you want vtec

h22a - (vti-r lude)

b18c - (type r/gsr/vti-r)

b16a - (ctr/vtir)

In my opinion I have listed these in order of preference. With a heavier car such as yours you will be greatful for the extra torque of the h22a, as well as the fact that it will give you more power (stock for stock) than any of the other engines.

b18c is a more common swap, probably a bit cheaper.

b16a is also a quite common swap, but with a stock engine, you probably wouldnt notice a huge difference in performance

Bob
13-07-2006, 01:05 PM
You are looking for a H22A (VTEC) swap. It has been done many times before.
However you are looking at custom parts. Engine mounts, re-wiring.
There are only a few people in Australia who have done this successfully.
Try www.preludeaustralia.com or www.preludepower.com and search.
You would also be looking at a manual conversion as well.
Expect to pay about 10 grand by the time you are done.

someone
13-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey guys...

Thanks for the replies, and yeah I have read a few of the other swaps for other Honda models, and saw what people say.

I will have a look at them 2 sites, and see what I can find (hope there is someone in Melbourne who can do these things)

One thing I did forget to ask, although im not sure if people would know the answer to it is how long something like this would take, from the day I take my car out until the day I drive away with everything in it. I have been told something like a week wait, i.e. you take your car in on monday morning, and have a chance to get it that same week of friday. If thats the case, then thats not to bad.

once again, thank you for the replies, and I will keep you informed about what I decide to do, as well as how much it will set me back... :)

yourfather
13-07-2006, 11:56 PM
depends on how deep your pockets are.

i've heard of peoples cars sitting in a workshop for 7-8 months while it'sbeing turbocharged, supercharged etc. so a week, I dunno dude, it's pretty complicated work. you'd have to have a dude spending every minute for quite a few days on it. and that's expensive, you're talking about 300 bucks a day at least.

Bob
14-07-2006, 09:49 AM
This is not a straight forward swap. Expect it to be off the road for several months to 1 year depending on how it goes.
You are better off reasearching this before doing anything. If you want an outright performance car you may be better off looking elsewhere for better value for money.

91'lude
14-07-2006, 01:11 PM
There is multiple topics too your question, i will sum it up quite simply. There is no drop in conversion, pritty much everything will be custom, expect to spend close to $10,000.

I suggest you check out this topic (http://tinyurl.com/frppt).

Edit - I think conversion times differ for the model, 4th gen preludes which some models come stock with h22 engines, it would be possible to do it in one week. But due to the type of conversion on 3rd gens, it would be months. Minimum, you'll be returning frequently for problem fixing, more tuning etc.

91'lude
14-07-2006, 01:15 PM
This one too, their both relivent to your question (http://tinyurl.com/zqqf4)

spacemaster
18-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Check out preludepower.com. There is a group buy for 3rd gen H22 conversion mounts. It will make the conversion job so much easier.

check it out.

someone
18-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Check out preludepower.com. There is a group buy for 3rd gen H22 conversion mounts. It will make the conversion job so much easier.

check it out.

Yeah looks great...pitty its in usa... :(

I will contact the guy anyways and see what we can arrange.

Thanks for the post :)

91'lude
19-07-2006, 01:04 PM
So, your still considering doing it?

spacemaster
23-07-2006, 05:01 PM
IMO, either rebuild or JDM swap and you can later on turbo charge it. I am thinking of doing this in a very near future.

flipmods
23-07-2006, 09:05 PM
I say a conversion like that will cost top dollar and a few months work, unless you really love your car I suggest just buying a 5th gen, less headaches or maybe just put a low K import engine and box in for under $2000. If you really want power and a new engine you can buy my turbo engine for the right price:D

spacemaster
23-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I say a conversion like that will cost top dollar and a few months work, unless you really love your car I suggest just buying a 5th gen, less headaches or maybe just put a low K import engine and box in for under $2000. If you really want power and a new engine you can buy my turbo engine for the right price:D

Any pointer to source a low K JDM ? <2000 is at my budget also. I have similar post at PA as well. Sorry for hijacking this post.

thanks